What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good idea

dimitri

First Grade
i have a good idea

its a involves a little rocket science

lets bring back the reds and the rams

put in some development work and get league back on its feet in SA and WA

wow

joondalup_giant

Staff member
i think the WARL competition needs mor junior clubs, 6 clubs that struggle 2 have a team in every grad couldnt be the base of a NRL team over here, does anyone know if any of that money from the ARL is coming 2 W.A and if were goin 2 have the joey league........ we have had 1 7's comp that was a couple of months ago...??

Stevo_G

Juniors
yeah its a good idea, bringing back teams to south australia and west australia would be great but what r the odds of this happening

DIEHARD

----
It would be a total waste of money. Look at the Storm! Get them in order first. Money is better spent on the Victorian competition and getting the Storm on an even keel before you go off galavanting around the nation founding half arse franchises. It's exactly what the game does not need. More weigh around it's shoulders.

We need to look after our own backyards. We need to make sure Queensland is an active member of the NRL, we need a Gold Coast and 2nd Brisbane side. And we need to fund the Perth and Adelaide competitions and lay the foundations years before we decide to put a team in Perth and Adelaide. Who wants a team full of NSW and QLDers in WA and SA? Why not put the dollars into the competitions create some interest and start a solid base to work from and then start a team with local players in the team, hit the ground running.

I wont even bother listening to such ridiculous suggestions as reinstating Adelaide and Perth until the Storm are run properly, till the Storm have Melbourne players. Cause I believe that is the key to their success.

Talking about teams in Perth and Adelaide is sure fun, but it's a waste of time at the moment. But don't get me wrong I greatly want them back with the NRL but the time isn't now and just adding them willy nilly would do far more harm than good. We need to look after Queensland first and work on creating more tribalism and passion in the Sydney clubs. I mean shit the Queensland Cup is struggling to survive and needs sponsorship and you guys are talking about flushing like 10 million dollars down the toilet. :roll:

Stevo_G

Juniors
but how can someone sponsor the qld cup when the abc who televise the matches cannot mention sponsors

Stevo_G

Juniors
but how can someone sponsor the qld cup when the abc who televise the matches cannot mention sponsors

The Observer

Staff member
dimitri said:
i have a good idea

its a involves a little rocket science

lets bring back the reds and the rams

put in some development work and get league back on its feet in SA and WA

wow

Dimitri, it is a good idea but how would you suggest it could actually happen? Whom would you target to put in the financial backing? How much money do you think they would need?

diehard said:
We need to make sure Queensland is an active member of the NRL, we need a Gold Coast and 2nd Brisbane side.

Remember the Gold Coast Giants/Seagulls/Gladiators/Chargers and the South Queensland Crushers? Part of the reason they struggled was that there wasn't enough elite talent in the competition then. There still isn't enough for 2 new franchises in QLD. I'd prefer to see a franchise represent the whole South East Queensland, playing its home games in Brisbane and half at Carrara. Incidentally Carrara is going to need millions of dollars of development to be anywhere near NRL standard.

I do think any new franchise should come from South East QLD.

And we need to fund the Perth and Adelaide competitions and lay the foundations years before we decide to put a team in Perth and Adelaide. Who wants a team full of NSW and QLDers in WA and SA? Why not put the dollars into the competitions create some interest and start a solid base to work from and then start a team with local players in the team, hit the ground running.

The Storm started without much of a grassroots. Their fans don't care where the players come from, just that they play for Melbourne with pride. Going completely for a bottom up approach will be a futile exercise when kids in those states have such an incentive to play AFL instead.

XXXX

Juniors
Even less likely now ,with a NRU competition being constructed for the 2005 season .No room for the Reds and the Gold .

Anonymous

Juniors
Unfortunately whilst I agree with your ideas I don't see how it can be done without removing some Sydney based teams.

With the current player pools the NRL cannot support more than about 16 or 17 teams. Which means to expand into those areas AT LEAST one Sydney team has to go. The AFL has a truly national league. They have:

1 QLD Team
1 NSW Team
2 SA Teams
2 WA Teams
10 Vic Teams

Now, even with the large number of Victorian teams, there is a totally national feel. The NRL, on the other hand:

2 QLD Teams
10 NSW Teams
1 ACT Team
1 Vic Team
1 NZ Team

Even with the same number of NSW teams, there is NO national feel. And there is no way to sufficently expand the comp without reducing the number of Sydney teams. Here is what I would propose:

3 QLD Teams (The two existing + Gold Coast)
7 NSW Teams (3 teams would have to go, unknown who)
1 Vic Team (Melbourne)
1 NZ Team (Warriors)
1 SA Team (Adelaide)
1 WA Team (Perth)
1 ACT Team (Raiders)
1 NT Team (Darwin)

That would be the only way to make it a truly national comp. and provided the NRL pumps money into those areas juniors it would probobly be a sucess.

Another option would be to offer three current Sydney teams relocation bonuses and then only 1 would need to be founded outright.

dimitri

First Grade
i like the idea of relocation bonuses

especially if the pokies tax goes through

if afl can do it with the swans and lions

then we should be able to do it too

it took them 20 years in sydney

and a little less in brisbane

but they managed to do it eventually

theres no reason why we cant too

Stevo_G

Juniors
i think it would be good if a sydney club relocated to the central coast so the central coast can have a team and so can the gold coast then u have 16 teams

and then to have 18 add one to perth and a team to adeliade

Lantana

Juniors
The reason we can't do it has something to do with the $550 million dollar 5 year television deal the AFL can leverage off to prop these teams up.(The NRL signed on for 7 years for 56 million!) Also the massive naming rights sponsorship with Carlton Draught. I think they picked up some of the 10 year - $100 million dollar a year Ansett sponsorship.
Don't forget the NRL BEGAN with a $300 million dollar debt from the Super League war. The NRL only profit around $25 million dollars a year.
That gets split two ways and the ARL are the body that utilise their stake to develop the game. News puts their's against their $200 million part of the debt.
Can anybody see that we are a fair way off setting up clubs in areas that will cost $10 million a year to run?
Patience guys, the game is on a roll and with the NRL having an influence from Melbourne to Cairns we have direct access to 60% - 70% of the national audience.
Yes, we need to go back to those areas, but at the moment the NRL have to erode the debt and concentrate on securing grass roots development on the East Coast before venturing into other States.
The way to move forward is definately through relocation.