What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good job Ricky

gUt

Coach
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-23/new-autism-respite-centre-opened-by-raiders-coach-ricky-stuart/7192964

Respite centre for children with disabilities opened by Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Children with a disability in the ACT will have access to a new respite care centre from next month, with its official opening led by Raiders coach Ricky Stuart.

Stuart, who has a daughter with autism, led the charge for the centre in Chifley, which will be operated by Marymead and offer a retreat for up to six children at a time.

The centre is purpose-built and the first of its kind in Canberra, allowing parents to have time off from caring for their children.

Parent Lynn Nerdal said it would make a huge difference for her daughter and herself.

"I can have a break and not feel guilty, and where she's excited to go there and very happy to be here," she said.

"I couldn't do it constantly do it day after day after day and night after night after night without that support."

Children can begin using the centre in mid-March, with between 40 and 50 families expected to utilise the facility each year - some for a few hours, others a night, and some for weeks.

Stuart said, for him, ensuring the completion of the centre was deeply personal project.

'Until you live with a child with disabilities, you don't understand'

His daughter Emma was diagnosed with autism as a young child and in 2011 he established a charity, the Ricky Stuart Foundation, to raise awareness about the disability and raise funds to support affected families.

"Until you live with a child with disabilities, you don't understand how important respite is," he said.

The centre comprises of six bedrooms, two with wheelchair access and modified bathrooms to deal with severe physical disabilities, a kitchen, dining, and play rooms.

The project was helped along by former disability minister Joy Burch, who was at the official opening.

About 50 companies and organisations also helped free of charge, including builders, appliance stores and project managers.

Marymead's chief executive officer Camilla Rowland said international research had demonstrated just how important respite was the well-being parents, carers and families as a whole.

"What an absolutely perfect facility that families now have available to them for this purpose," she said.

Meanwhile, funding for a second centre in Cook, catering for teenagers, has been secured.

Many of the contributors to the first respite centre are already on board to help establish the second.

well done

nick87

Coach
This sort of work was one of the major contributors to him wanting out of Parramatta to take up the Canberra job.
What ever people want to say about him as a coach, and im far from sold myself, you cant deny what he's doing for the Canberra community.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Can't begin to imagine what these families go through - Being a father myself, I really feel for them - Good on Sticky

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't blame him for leaving Parramatta - I read somewhere that Canberra has one of the country's top special needs schools.

Good on Sticky.

It will go a long way to helping parents of disabled children get a much needed break. It could prevent some potentially terrible outcomes.

Good on Sticky for backing a good initiative.

POPEYE

Coach
Great player, good man and hopefully only a slow learner as a coach . . . can't help but get better with time

Cockosh

Juniors
I remember seeing a piece on this a few years back on one of the current affairs programmes. The heart ache he and his family endure daily is something that has stuck with me. Regardless of what anyone's football related opinions of him may or may not be there is no doubting his quality as a human being. The same can be said of Wayne Bennett. It's not easy.

legend

Coach
Great work Sticky. Working and living with special needs kids is a monumental task so any respite for the kids and parents can only be a good thing.

Danish

Referee
I'd like to make a joke about Sticky finally having a place to keep all the halfbacks he's ruined over the years, but with a few autistic kids in my extended family this is seriously a wonderful thing.

If everyone could experience even an hour of the stress parents of special needs kids have to go through every day of their lives, houses like this would be able to be built on every block from the mountain of donations that would be offered up.

Great stuff Sticky

Kiwi

First Grade
As a man Stuart is second to none, top effort, and worthy of respect. It's great that this has made the media and is a great promotion for the Centre and will help make families aware of it that are in need of it.