What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good places in the UK for New years

Nugby

Juniors
Sorry guys, bit off topic, but where are the best places to be in the UK for New Years Eve, I was going to be in London but I've been told I should go to Manchester or Hogmanay(?) instead, thought I'd seek a few opinions here.

Thanks

deluded pom?

Coach
New Years Eve is more traditionally celebrated in Jockoland. Here it's just an excuse for a pi$$ up (as if Poms need an excuse).

bartman

Immortal
I think Hogmanay in Edinburgh is a huge outdoor party where you have to get tickets in advance... a friend of mine went about 8 years ago and ended up passed out and in hospital with her stomach pumped! http://www.edinburghshogmanay.org/ - they usually announce which bands etc are on in November.

Manchester's an OK city and I can see it would be a good party town for NYE, but by sheer weight of numbers/population London is probably the place with most happening.

Here in sleepy York everyone tends to just head to the pub until 11:30, then go and stand in front of the minster (catherdral) and waits for the midnight bells, and then goes back to the pub!

GizLoki

Juniors
Scotland for Hogmanay - definitely. In Scotland, New Years is celebrated more than Christmas. Up here, you get 2 days off for New Years as well.

While there is the street party in Edinburgh for the actual night, it actually caps the end of a week long celebration. There's the fire torch procession, the worlds longest "strip the willow", and the Christmas markets are still open (very pretty) - amongst other goings-on.

The Edinburgh street party is definitely a tick-in-the-box kinda event. You need tickets to get into Princes Street Gardens (where the major bands are) and also a ticket to get into the street party itself. One costs more than the other. They erect huge screens and speakers on either end of Princes Street so you can see the bands if you don't get into the gardens. Its BYO, no glass allowed (for obvious reasons) and a very international affair (tonnes of flags being flown from all over). At midnight they have a great fireworks display over the castle - easily the 2nd prettiest setting for fireworks I've ever seen (after Sydney).

You could also consider some of the many wonderful European cities for New Years. I've been in Prague (awesome), Norway (5 hours north of Oslo - again awesome), and Tallinn (great fun) in the past years. Will be in the Red Square in Moscow this year (can't wait !).

nadera78

Juniors
London's sh*t for NYE, and i say that as a londoner born and bred. Even tin pot sh*tty pubs charge to get in "because it's new year!" and offer exactly what they would normally offer anyway. It's got to the point where we always through parties at home because it's cheaper and actually more fun that getting charged a lot of money just to go somewhere you'd normally go fo free.

Head for the hills, but not scotland, miserable peasants live up that way!

bartman

Immortal
At least the pubs in sleepy York don't have the hide to charge entry for NYE... :lol:

But Moscow sounds awesome. Will be keen to hear how you get on!

clivethemessiah

Juniors
nadera78 said:
Londoners aren't miserable or rude, we just respect other people's personal space.:whistle

Spoken like a true Estuarine.

If youre in the UK, head for any part of Scotland, they really know how to bring in the new year. Shame Andy Stewart isn't around any more. :(

deluded pom?

Coach
clivethemessiah said:
Spoken like a true Estuarine.

If youre in the UK, head for any part of Scotland, they really know how to bring in the new year. Shame Andy Stewart isn't around any more. :(

But Moira Lister and Kenneth McKellar are :lol: Is "respecting other people's personal space" the London dictionary meaning of ignorant then nad? Oh how I loved to see those long miserable faces stuck into a newspaper and trying not to take in anything around them as they travelled on the tube to their miserable jobs. ;-)

yorkie44

Juniors
Come to my in-laws for there new years party in YORK, so you don't have to go to anyother of the holes in the UK York is the best, but yea its crap for new years how sh*t is it stood outside of the minster i'd rather watch a game a yawnion actualy no i wudn't il say rubarb grow!

clivethemessiah

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
But Moira Lister and Kenneth McKellar are :lol: Is "respecting other people's personal space" the London dictionary meaning of ignorant then nad? Oh how I loved to see those long miserable faces stuck into a newspaper and trying not to take in anything around them as they travelled on the tube to their miserable jobs. ;-)

I think you mean Moira Anderson. ;-)

bartman

Immortal
yorkie44 said:
Come to my in-laws for there new years party in YORK, so you don't have to go to anyother of the holes in the UK York is the best, but yea its crap for new years how sh*t is it stood outside of the minster i'd rather watch a game a yawnion actualy no i wudn't il say rubarb grow!
Yep, agree. Standing outside the Minster is only OK if you've been drinking solidly for the six hours beforehand in a pub nearby. But alas there's nothing much else to do... think I just stayed in last year and watched the TV?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
For New years in the UK, go to Wakefield.

Wakefield is the single mother capital of the UK.

That way you're guaranteed of bringing in the new year with a bang.