What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good work Neil Henry

thommo4pm

Coach
It's about time somebody came out and gave it to the ref's.

He was absolutely spot on with his assessment of some of the calls out there in that game.

Ben Cummins is close to the worst ref in the comp, yet he seems to get away with making pathetic calls each week.

I just saw highlights of Neil Henry's press conference on Fox Sports and finally one of the coaches have had the balls to say what majority of fans have been saying for a long time.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Only trouble is, if it had've been the Cows that got the penalty at the death he would've been all for it.

I'd like to see a coach come out and say this sort of stuff after a win, rather than look for excuses in the wake of a loss. A lopsided penalty count is not always the referee's fault.

thommo4pm

Coach
Only trouble is, if it had've been the Cows that got the penalty at the death he would've been all for it.

I'd like to see a coach come out and say this sort of stuff after a win, rather than look for excuses in the wake of a loss. A lopsided penalty count is not always the referee's fault.

I agree with most of that.

The ref's should not be untouchable in a media press conference.
If they stuff up, which they more often than not do, then the coach should be allowed to have a spray.
Henry last night didn't swear or get heated, he pointed out some glaring errors from the officials, and it should be allowed.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Absolutely they should be able to cop a spray, as long as it is measured and not personal.

But then again, I doubt the post-match interviews are the time to deliver them. Coaches would have likely not seen replays, had time to digest what happened etc. If the red mist has cleared, the tape reviewed the next day etc then by all means get into them.

I didn't hear Henry or JT admit Segeyaro got him high.

Loudstrat

Coach
I disagree. I have been watching league for a few decades now. I have seen rampant obvious cheating 3 times: Gomersall refereeing Origin, French referees on home tests against the Kangaroos, and Greg Hartley.

I dead set hate the "We lost a close game so I am going to bag the referee in a press conference". At worst, the ref made a mistake. Just like your players did. All the whinging does is make the NRL pour more changes into referees - and not to get improvement. We used to have one ref. Now we have 2 refs and a heap in a video box. Decisions are not better because of it. Controversy is not less. Referees now have to speak nicely to players, remind them of the simple rules of the game etc etc.

$10k. Disrepute.

Jack Gibson had the right idea. After every game, he would review the video and send a letter to the NSWRL listing all the referees mistakes. It never verballed anyone in public. This archaic action like Henrys leads to a general disrespect of referees, and eventually to the b*llshit of Stuart and Ashley Klein in Brisbane.

Last edited:
I can live with bad on field decisions..like that 1st try from a forward pass...that happens every week ...& it will never change ,but when a VR with mutiple views awards a try that every other week of the yr is a penalty then you start to think ,are these blokes for real.

If a decoy runner takes out a defender its a penalty ,no ifs or buts ,& after watching it again yes Tongs had a bad read & was going to make the tackle ,but JT was going across following the ball & got bowled over ..Clear penalty,yet we get BOTD.
Hope a GF is not decided on a similar decision.

No way was that an obstruction. It was a classic ball out the back play. Thurston got sucked in and made a bad choice. He would never have made Roberts regardless. Even Fittler the ex-Rooster and notorious Bunny hater agreed that the correct call was made. The fact that Thurston hit the deck and rolled around like he'd been shot and then went to a press conference and claimed no Cowboys player would ever take a dive just made it funny in the end.

BranVan3000

Coach
Thurston whinging about that obstruction is laughable. Its identical to something Sandow did last year against the Dragons. It was laughable then and its laughable now

I don't think referee's should be bagged, but they aren't helping themselves with their current performance. If the 2 referee system has shown us anything, it is that there isn't 16 top flight referees to control NRL games. I would like to see a return to just the single referee on the field, a better training and talent identification system for referees in all grades, and a re-simplification of the rules (eg. if you're tackled, you're tackled. Not dominant, surrender, etc). Too many people behind the scenes are listening to opinionated people in the media whose job it is to create headlines, and not those who have the game's best interests at heart.

Stinkler

Juniors
The Cowboys will belt Cronulla next week, with the referees responding to Henry's outburst accordingly.

Mortar

Juniors
I disagree. I have been watching league for a few decades now. I have seen rampant obvious cheating 3 times: Gomersall refereeing Origin, French referees on home tests against the Kangaroos, and Greg Hartley.

Dont forget game 3 2006 in Melbourne. That was the most blatant cheating anyone will ever see. Just happened to coincide with the start of the 6 year long arse raping you nswankers have recieved.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Ben Cummins is a spineless wanker.

I bet Souths don't get the benefit of dubious calls in Brisbane next week, even if there is an identical incident in an identical situation.

innsaneink

Referee
"I dont play like that and neither do any of our boys"
I got this far

Matt Bowen's one of the biggest 'stay downs' in the game.

Sour grapes Henry & JT....this crap happens every week, it just doesnt always occur in GP, they happen at the 20, 30 50 65 min mark and all go some way to affecting outcomes.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
"I dont play like that and neither do any of our boys"
I got this far

Matt Bowen's one of the biggest 'stay downs' in the game.

Sour grapes Henry & JT....this crap happens every week, it just doesnt always occur in GP, they happen at the 20, 30 50 65 min mark and all go some way to affecting outcomes.

Yeah, 'I don't play like that', my arse.

31511_1420632389306_1037552274_31244518_3882276_n.jpg

Stinkler

Juniors
NRL refs at it again tonight in the Roosters V Sharks game.

Lyons and his mate "Geeman" were absolutely disgraceful.

Latest posts