What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grade five reckless high tackle - Cayless faces 11 weeks...

The Colonel

Immortal
Cayless suffers double blow
May 3, 2004

PARRAMATTA captain Nathan Cayless suffered a double blow today when he was diagnosed with a broken arm and charged by the National Rugby League match review committee.

Cayless, likely to be sidelined for two months with the arm injury, could also be suspended for 11 matches by the judiciary.

The New Zealand forward was charged with a grade five reckless high tackle for his first half hit on Josh Hannay on Saturday night.

Hannay was taken to hospital and later cleared of a serious neck injury.

Cayless was also charged with grade three striking over a 52nd minute incident involving Cowboys veteran Travis Norton.

The Eels did receive some good news today when Cayless's fellow prop Chris Armit was cleared of a broken arm.

In other judiciary news, the Warriors could pay a high price for their win over Melbourne on Sunday, with props Richard Villasanti and Jerry Seuseu charged today.

Villasanti was charged with a grade two careless high tackle and could be suspended for one match while Seuseu could also be banned for one game on a grade one striking offence.

North Queensland's Nathan Fien and South Sydney's Owen Craigie were both charged with grade one careless high tackles and could face maximum one match bans.

AAP

Foz

Bench
Bird deserved 10 and he was a first offender.
I dont know Cayless' track record but he could have crippled the Cowboy player. He was also charged with another tackle.
I know which one was going to do the most damage.

Raider_69

Post Whore
intresting
I said when i saw it if the judicary are fair dinkum with Wiki that shot must be given at least 10... at least they are more consistant then last years lot

The Colonel

Immortal
Richard Villasanti

Club Warriors
Time (minute) 79thq
Charge or Incident High Tackle - Careless
Charge Grade 2
Base Penalty 125
7 yrs incident free for discount? No
Penalty pts from this charge (early plea) 93
Penalty pts from this charge (late plea)
Penalty pts from this charge (guilty plea) 125
Prior similar offences in last 2 yrs (50% loading) 0
Prior non-similar offences in last 2 yrs (50% loading) 0

Carry-over points to be added 0

Nathan Cayless

Club Eels
Time (minute) 29th
Charge or Incident High Tackle - Reckless
Charge Grade 5
Base Penalty 500
Penalty pts from this charge (early plea) 562
Penalty pts from this charge (guilty plea) 750
Prior similar offences in last 2 yrs (50% loading) 1

Time (minute) 52nd
Charge or Incident Striking
Charge Grade 3
Base Penalty 325
Penalty pts from this charge (early plea) 292
Penalty pts from this charge (guilty plea) 390
Prior non-similar offences in last 2 yrs (50% loading) 1

Villasanti can thank his stars he didn't put anyone in hospital it seems. I don't disagree with Cayless' suspension however I did think that the Villasanti tackle was similar to that of Wiki's and he got four weeks plus loading.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Wagon got charged with a grade 4 tackle a few weeks ago that was nowhere near as bad as Villisanti's or Fein's.

Colonel Eel said:
Richard Villasanti

Club Warriors
Time (minute) 79thq
Charge or Incident High Tackle - Careless
Charge Grade 2
Base Penalty 125
Penalty pts from this charge (early plea) 93
Penalty pts from this charge (guilty plea) 125

From those stats, that means that if Villa submits an early guilty plea, he'll escape suspension altogether! Because he has no carry over points and he'll only get 93 if he pleads guilty, not enough for a one match suspension.

Rort!

strider

Post Whore
Absolute joke!!!....yes Caylo deserves a suspension, but not this - no way!!!

The judiciary is still off in lala land if they think it right to judge things based on whether a player gets injured or not.

AND to give him anything for the supposed elbow? Total and utter bullshit!!! There are a dozen of these so called elbows in EVERY game EVERY weekend - the touch judge who reported only moved his lazy ugly arse cos Norton started a fight.

Tommy Smith

Referee
He deserves every single week he gets. It really was karma when he broke his arm.

We simply cannnot allow what we saw Saturday night occur on Footy fields. Josh Hannay was taken to hospital for scans on his neck/spine for goodness sake! That disgraceful late shot could have ended Hannay's career or put him in a wheelchair.

Good on the judiciary for taking a hard line stance to it. They deserve credit.

Iafeta

Referee
God damn, don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

Whats Villa's record in the past 2 years? ...zero.... Speak louder... ZERO!

Give yourselves a triple. The "joke" is making such an unfounded claim.

I cannot believe the comparison with Villasanti WHATSOEVER. Villasanti's WAS NOT late as Mr Hadley would lead you to believe - infact, there ought to be an instant optometrists test for anyone who believed it was late. The ball was hitting Orford's foot as it went up.

High? Unquestionably. No doubt. Won't even argue it.

Bad? Not as bad as some. Reckless? Certainly not.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Villa deserves a week at the MOST. Sure it was high but he hit Orford with the force of a feather.

t-ba

Post Whore
It wasn't a pretty Shot, but It was nothing compared to Cayless' efforts.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I was just watching the backpage on Fox and I think you'll find Hindmarsh copped one just as bad from one of the Cowboys but the video review missed it because he didn't carry on like a pork chop.