What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Graham to hang up the boots at season’s end

Don Tweddle

Juniors

Just a week after celebrating his 250th game for the Cronulla club, Wade Graham has announced his retirement to a room full of current and former teammates, family and friends, with the 2023 season to be his last.

On a night which had been arranged to recognise the 250-game milestone, Graham spoke emotionally about his decision to hang up the boots after a journey which has included premiership success and representative honours.

He will step away from the game once the Sharks current season comes to an end.

Graham delivered the news to the 2023 Sharks NRL playing group, as well as family and close friends including former teammates Paul Gallen, Luke Lewis, Adrew Fifita, Todd Carney, Boyd Cordner from his time in NSW and Kangaroo squads, and Sharks Premiership winning coach Shane Flanagan.

In making the move from Penrith to the Shire, Graham debuted for the Sharks in round one of the 2011 season, before going on to become an integral member of a Cronulla team which won the 2016 NRL Premiership.

While sharing the duties during Gallen’s final years at the Sharks, upon his retirement Graham officially took over the Cronulla captaincy in 2020.

During those 13 seasons in the top grade at the Sharks and prior that at the Panthers, Graham earnt the respect of his peers, teammates and many in the game.

In addition to 250 games for the Sharks and 42 for the Panthers, Graham also played eight matches for Australia and made six State of Origin appearance for NSW.

In becoming just the third player in club history to play 250th top grade games, Graham joined Gallen and Andrew Ettingshausen in a select group, in confirming his legacy as one of the very best and most consistent performers to ever wear the black, white and blue.

Graham has been named to captain the Sharks in their game against the Titans on Friday night, while expressing to the room his determination to finish his career on a positive note.

Chimp

Bench
Had a 2 to 3 year period where he was absolute dynamite - a nightmare for opposition halfbacks in both defence and attack.
Happy to see him make his way back from his injury and HIA issues, and glad he’s now going to hang them up.
An integral part of our transition from the dark days to Premiers. Gets legend status for me.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Well that’s a relief and not in a negative way. But what I didn’t want was for him to really stay too long and be remembered next year as that guy that won’t leave! 12 years is huge at one club. Congrats Wade.

Reactions: PJ

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
An absolute pleasure to have him in our team for so long, and no doubt an out and out club legend

He’s the last one standing from that amazing night in October 2016. Unplayable on his day, and will leave a huge hole just based on experience alone

thank you Wade

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Onya Wade, did it all.

I wish you luck in whatever you do next.

Personally I would love to see a one time show with Wade appearing out of no where and scaring the crap out of Cooper.

Cooper having brunch, shopping, heading to work..

JJ

Immortal
Not a Sharks fan as such here, but Graham has always been amongst my favourite players - what a career, and what a back row you had with him, Lewis, and Gallen.

That Grand Final win, along with Penrith's in 91 (and the Warriors making a couple, maybe we'll have that moment someday) are among my favourite memories because of what they meant to clubs and communities - anyway, great player, will be missed

shadowboxer

First Grade
Not a Sharks fan as such here, but Graham has always been amongst my favourite players - what a career, and what a back row you had with him, Lewis, and Gallen.

That Grand Final win, along with Penrith's in 91 (and the Warriors making a couple, maybe we'll have that moment someday) are among my favourite memories because of what they meant to clubs and communities - anyway, great player, will be missed
What a a great heartfelt post. Here’s hoping you get some magic this year. Warriors looking good
Not great memories of getting pipped in the preliminary back in the Anderson era by the Warriors - getting soaked in beer from the upper level of Homebush from the NZ fans (who got in for kicks from the buy up of the owner, but miffed they got done the weekend after in the GF vs Rooters. Good luck
On Wade,
I’ll be honest, I was relieved when he called time. But he has definitely provided some memorable moments. The game he came back from a long term injury a few years back, played I think 1 game, bashed and blitzed it, he was a straight up Origin call up.
Well done WG

Quite an emotional speech by Wado. Well done ole son.

Wizardman

First Grade
I think you guys look at Graham with tinted eyes (understandably). Fantastic bloke, a great team man who has obvious passion for his club and was once a fantastic back rower. I DO think he has gone two seasons too long though.

All the best for the rest of the season and beyond for him.