What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GRAND FINAL (2004): SHARKS v BLUEBAGS

antonius

Coach
GRAND FINAL (2004): SHARKS v BLUEBAGS

Newtown Scores

Willow
Match fixing in the 1960s
750 Words
Is this true or not? Doesn’t really matter because I’m sure a lot of what the writer describes actually did go on back then. These days…Who Knows? Very readable piece about another side to the game and it’s characters.
Score 9.2

Gorilla
The King of Redfern
750 Words
Up until 20 years ago, there would be plenty of players like Morgan, taking whatever unskilled jobs they could get to supplement there football earnings, and make ends meet. The nature of some of those jobs would have them at risk.
Score 8.8

Hass
THE SLUMP
749 Words
everyone’s an expert aren’t they? And no matter the level we play at, it’s always the top level to us eh? Nicely written, and original.
Score 8.7

MysteryGirl

The thrill of victory...The agony of defeat
749 Words
Well put together descriptive piece on the emotions surrounding G.F. day, and for some as the writer points out, there’s always next year.
Score 8.6

Moffo
Why rugby league is so susceptible to controversy…
746 Words
This article really says what we prob all really think, that the type of guy that plays the game is more than likely the type of guy that attracts controversy. I’m sure the players of yesteryear were no “shrinking violets” either. It’s just that these days they are under much more scrutiny. Well written, and put together.
Score 8.8

Newtown Total 44.1

Sharks Scores

Genius Freak
Eternal Sunshine Of The Sharkless Mind
750 Words.
We keep coming back don’t we? Nice piece on the ups and downs of supporting a team, in the ned though the ups always win out.
Score 8.6

Tamazoid
Growing up with footy.
750 Words
The cycle of supporting the game, and a team written from a different angle. Well put together, with some good observations. As the writer points out, in 30 years time it’ll still be “Let me tell you about the game when I was your age”
Score 8.7

Salmon
Meat, Mates & Football
750 Words
I suppose us refs have read and scored dozens of articles on last years G.F. this season. This one is given a little more interest in that it captures the neighbourhood atmosphere on the day. Had the article expanded more on that aspect rather than game detail it would have seen a better score.
Score 8.5

El Coconuto
One 'Momo' In Time
750 Words
Amongst all the controversies, and bickering, sport (in particular junior sport) is a great character builder for young people. The writer captures this moment in words perfectly. Very well written.
Score 9.5

Captain Dread
The End
750 Words
A well written piece on the way the sevens game mirrors much of the real game. It is easy to relate to the writers feeling at the end of the season, the old brain does tend to run out of ink.
Score 8.6

Sharks Total 43.9

Newtown 44.1 Defeated the Sharks 43.9

M.O.M. El Coconuto

A very close game, came down to only .2 of a point. Commiserations to the Sharks, tough to lose by such a close margin.
Congratulations to Newtown on winning the Backpacker Shield for 2004

Anonymous

Juniors
:D
bluebags_jubilee_bodyguards_hats.jpg

bluebags_celeb_mardigras.jpg

They're dancing in the streets around Henson Park.

Thanks ref antonius and thanks to the Sharks for being great sports throughout the year. Better luck next season... if this is anything to go on, 2005 may very well be your year.

Bloody marvellous effort from ALL the Bluebags of 2004 who played this year and deserve this victory:
1. Willow
2. Nook
3. legend
4. Chook
6. MysteryGirl
7. Moffo
8. Godz Illa
9. frank
10. Rex
11. Gorilla
12. Hoggy
13. Hass
14. Wal
15. Earl

It's been hard work and fun. Well done everyone!
bluebags_coast_1.gif

Anonymous

Juniors
Well done Newtown. :clap:

Thanks antonius. :clap:

And a very big congratulations to my Sharkies. No idea how we ever got this far, but it was one hell of an effort and it was awesome playing with you guys. :clap:

*Jump on my horse and ride into the sunset*

Thank god its over. I couldn't have written another word... :lol:

Seano

Juniors
Congratulations Willow, and also to Captain Dread.

Both teams have been great this year.

Well done :) :) :)

Anonymous

Juniors
Cheers Seano and Garbs.
I hope to see the Sharks there next year. They certainly came back from the death and gave the comp a real shake. :thumn

Anonymous

Juniors
The Sharks'll be going through a re-building year next year.

With new leaders, brand new faces and hopefully some fresh ideas to replace the poor old stale ones which are being thrown out the backdoor. :p

SirShire

First Grade
Good game guys, esp. all you Newtown lads.

And Coco, I don't think anyone else deserved the MOTM award except you. Well done!

I wont retire, but next year I will be doing the HSC, so F7s will have to take a back seat, and benching it may be the best thing for me.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Well done Newtown on a fine effort. I'm astonished and proud just to be part of such a high-standard contest, let alone going within 0.2 of winning it!

This Cronulla team has rode the highs and lows of the F7s. We placed 2nd in the Minor Premiership after embarking on a massive winning streak to keep our chances alive - a streak ended by the Bags. I guess it's your revenge after we kicked a field-goal against you in the last minute to win in the minor premiership rounds.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Newtown and my team for a sensational effort. While I've got the mic, I need to acknowledge the fine contributions of Captain Dread, El Coconuto and Mr Angry who are all now retired. Mr Angry only played this season but established himself as a quality player and heads to the refereeing ranks. Heading in the same direction is Captain Dread, another long-term contributor. El Coconuto is undoubtedly the greatest player in Forum 7s history and will be irreplacable. Special thanks to the latter two who were co-captains with me this season and we wouldn't have got this far without their efforts.

Minus three figures already, and a Grand Final loss, I will be staying on next season. After three full seasons, the idea bank is dry but this great game always throws up issues which I am banking on to continue my career. That having been said, we're desperate for players next season. There's no way I'll be able to play every match with my VCE next year. So to all potential players out there, there's a spot for you at the Runners-Up!

j_tig

Juniors
PITCH INVASION

having been witness to many a game, with no particular team, just wanting forum 7's to be the winner on the day, i just want to say congratulations all!!! great stuff to read, just wish it could help my degree out, spennt a little too long reading these and not enough reading relevant books!!! :oops:
top stuff!

El Coconuto

Bench
I've been choking back on the tears of joy for the last few minutes. Eventually, I came up with this...

Captains Knock (One Half):

It was the game the pundits couldn't predict. The unprecented eight-game winning streakers vs the perennial powerhouse and early season favourites. The match certainly didn't dissapoint, with Grand Final's experience getting the Bluebags over the line.

Special congradulations to the Newtown Bluebags. You are a team for the ages, one who I feel will always be a powerhouse in this competition so long as your club shall live. I take off my hat to your team, well done lads and ladettes.

To my own Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, guys, hold your chins up high and be proud to have been grand finalists in such a great competition. We truly have earnt our place in history alongside the champion Bluebags.

A big thank-you to Captain Dread/El Garbo whose leadership has earnmarked him one of the most loved characters in the club. His dedication to the Cronulla Sharks Franchise is truly touching. To Tamazoid, who was my first captain nearly twenty-one months ago, it has been a pleasure. Genius, our iron man, you become one of the leaders of the new team.

Also, a big ups to Salmon, our super-sub who admirably played his way into the big one, well done and good luck with your HSC. Mr Angry, McSharkie and madunit (The three M's) your efforts won't be forgotten. This team and these friendships, have found a place in my heart.

Thanks to antonius for his reffing efforts, and also to salivor, Mystique and our beloved backpacker. This game wouldn't have been civil without your patience and dilligence.

Finally, a special thank you to Steven Williams aka Willow, who raised this game up to the level that it now sits. Thank you for breathing life into a competition that has meant so much to many of us. Thank you for providing me with the opportunities to do what I love - write. You are a bonafide legend in my books mate.

Thank you to everyone who competed in this competition and made it the success it was. Season 2004 will never be forgotten.

I leave the game a wounded soldier - but a thoroughly satisfied human being. Good luck, and God Bless each of you.

Signing out one last time,
El Coconuto.

*Sandy*

First Grade
:clap: Congratulation Bluebags.

An awesome effort by both teams.

Congrats El Coco for MOM. Your article really moved me. I'm going to miss reading your articles. :(

skeepe

Immortal
Congratulations to both teams, Newtown in particular for the victory. While I can't deny the personal disappointment I felt seeing Souths bow out in the preliminary final, from the quality of these articles I'd say it was always destined to end this way, with the only teams able to defeat us in the regular season going on to the big one.

What a great season, congratulations all round.

The Piper

Juniors
\\:D/ Well done Newtown! :thumnn

It was such fun playing in this wonderful competition and incrediable to play along side some great people and terrific article writers. I will definately be involved in the game some way next year. I think i've said it before this year but what a great concept for rugby league lovers to get invovled in and have some fun with other fans!
Well done Sharks, who never game up during the season and made the top two easily in the end.
Well done and thanks to Willow, Gorilla, Rex, frank and all the team. Cheers for giving me a go.
If any of this doesnt make sense, its coz I've already dived head first, naked, into the blow-up pool-o-vodka!
YES SIR!!

Latest posts