What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand final fact

Since 1998.... 14 clubs have reached the Grand final... except raiders and titans and 11 clubs have won the Grand final

some11

Referee
Proves the salary cap doesn't work and we have the same top four every year and TPAs need a massive overhaul.

some11

Referee
Warriors need to get their arse into gear, Origin is moving to at least one standalone weekend from 2018 so you know what that means.

POPEYE

Coach
Proves the salary cap doesn't work and we have the same top four every year and TPAs need a massive overhaul.
A bloke I know well claims the Sharks are near the top of the ladder because they bought their way there. I argue that the 'bought' players are rejects or were underpaid where they came from. Nevertheless he says I can't deny they were bought. Salary cap has sfa to do with the top 4 teams compared to the coaching staff that got them there . . . the better they are the less the cap is relevant

myrrh ken

First Grade
Some truth to that. Ennis Maloney Lewis and barba were unwanted. Chad was happy to take less coin to get back home. Top marks for canny recruiting.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
remember reading bennets book and he said the key to a premiership side is getting the best of the "also rans", the squad fillers that will never be rep stars but a mid priced and need in the side to go with the stars and the young rookies. It will be something that will go unnoticed by the majority but if these guys aren't close to their best there is only so far the big buys in a team can take you.

Matt Prior is the best example for the sharks, bellamy has made a career out of developing numpties into stars based around he big 3. "in form, premiership winning back cheyse blair" would have sounded out of place at any other club.

For us last year it was hannant and bolton out performing most starting props to keep the roll going (hannant being a former rep player but when purchased was unwanted by brisbane) and bolton has always been solid but will never be superstar status (which isn't a dig at him as he has been awesome value).

Spade

Juniors
Luck at the right end of the season has a lot to do with it, look at the Sharks for example if Edrick Lee could catch they would have been down 18-0 and good chance they would have been out in straight sets as they probably would have been under strength again vs Penrith.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
going most of the season with a healthy 1,6,7 & 9 goes along way as well. We were blessed with injuries last year

MilkShark

First Grade
A bloke I know well claims the Sharks are near the top of the ladder because they bought their way there. I argue that the 'bought' players are rejects or were underpaid where they came from. Nevertheless he says I can't deny they were bought. Salary cap has sfa to do with the top 4 teams compared to the coaching staff that got them there . . . the better they are the less the cap is relevant
I don't get why people think badly on teams buying premierships. Everybody attempts to do it. Some clubs have an abundance of juniors which would never even get a run in their local NRL team. Of course players are going to seek opportunities elsewhere.

The real problem is the TPA's. Some clubs have a MASSIVE advantage over others.

POPEYE

Coach
Who will referee the game, Cecchin shouldn't be dropped for a simple mistake and Cummins, of all people, probably deserves to be his offsider

halfbackBENHUNT

Juniors
Some truth to that. Ennis Maloney Lewis and barba were unwanted. Chad was happy to take less coin to get back home. Top marks for canny recruiting.

Rubbish Maloney was unwanted. He was poached by Sharks from Roosters, just like Carney, Anthony Tupou, Mcillwrick, Arona.