What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great new Sports/League show on 2UE on Sat mornings

iggy plop

First Grade
If you want a quality sports show that focusses on league listen to the Straight Shooters on 2UE 954 from 9am to 1pm on Saturday. Vossy, Gibbsy and Bos tell it like it is. You'll get more league talk on this 4 hour show than a whole weekend of Hadley and his mates.

With a bit of luck they might extend the 2UE show to about 3pm if the ratings are good.

We need more options on commercial radio regarding rugby league, so at least this a start.

There's no agendas, just great footy talk.

shadowboxer

First Grade
heard the show on saturday nad it was pretty good. It was in the similar vein to the old show with gibbs,gould,brohman etc. Better than bloody hadley

Thye need to get rid of Bos though. It just doesnt work as well in my opinion with him there.

I would love to see Gould brought back. I listeneed to him on 2UE and then 2GB and he was just brilliant. I dont always agree with what he says, but it is the different between a Journo and comone that activly involved at high levels in the game and knows whats going on.

As for 2GB, its a last resort isnt it.

If your looking for an alternative I would have a listen to 2SM. I listened to them a bit at the end of last year and they were pretty good and Sat afternoon.

Also 2KY on Sunday morning from 7-10 (from memory!) is great. Its basically a league program with none of the fluf and BS no one cares about.

iggy plop

First Grade
nospam49 said:
Thye need to get rid of Bos though. It just doesnt work as well in my opinion with him there.

I would love to see Gould brought back. I listeneed to him on 2UE and then 2GB and he was just brilliant. I dont always agree with what he says, but it is the different between a Journo and comone that activly involved at high levels in the game and knows whats going on.

As for 2GB, its a last resort isnt it.

If your looking for an alternative I would have a listen to 2SM. I listened to them a bit at the end of last year and they were pretty good and Sat afternoon.

Also 2KY on Sunday morning from 7-10 (from memory!) is great. Its basically a league program with none of the fluf and BS no one cares about.

Well said LF, Zorba and Hollywood give league the full attention it deserves in this city on Sunday morning. It's a great show that 2KY one.

I also prefer 2SM on saturdays, but I hear they are not doing it this year. Thank god for the new 2ue show, I belive it should go all day. Vossy is just a legend.

You are right with 2GB - an absolute last resort which is a shame considering it is the only station with exclusive commercial rights. Terrible.

Zorba and Hollywood are a throwback to when you didnt have to stuff around talking about crap no one wants to hear.

Its refreshing to hear something other then "We are here for everyone to express their opinions and while I dont agree with you, your entitled to your opinion".

Both Zorba and Hollywood tell it like it is. If you bget an idiot calling up, they'll say what we are all thinking. "You are an idiot, thanks for your call!". :D

They also dont pander to officials. I think alot of sports presenters are so worried they'll be blackbanned that they dont get stuck into someone when its deserved.

troydodds

Juniors
I disagree re 2GB. The actual calling of the game's is superb in my opinion and there is no better commentator in the game than Hadley. Andrew Moore is also very good.

The only problem it faces is the dribble that it can produce during the afternoon where there simply isn't a game to call.

That could be improved ... however, put yourself in their position - when 2UE lost the rights and Hadley was there with talking league, six hours of dribble out-rated 2GB's call of the game. They had to employ a good mix of both when Hadley and the crew went over to 2GB and they've done a good job in that. They can't please everyone but judging by the ratings, they are doing a pretty good job. And that's not only because they are the only station with a right to call the game - lets not forget the ABC also call matches and that a similar format at 2UE worked before the 2GB switch.

See I dont listen to 2GB's call of the games because Im either at the game, or Im watching it on TV.

So from my point of view....its all poor! :lol:

zulu

Juniors
troydodds said:
I disagree re 2GB. The actual calling of the game's is superb in my opinion and there is no better commentator in the game than Hadley. Andrew Moore is also very good.

The only problem it faces is the dribble that it can produce during the afternoon where there simply isn't a game to call.

That could be improved ... however, put yourself in their position - when 2UE lost the rights and Hadley was there with talking league, six hours of dribble out-rated 2GB's call of the game. They had to employ a good mix of both when Hadley and the crew went over to 2GB and they've done a good job in that. They can't please everyone but judging by the ratings, they are doing a pretty good job. And that's not only because they are the only station with a right to call the game - lets not forget the ABC also call matches and that a similar format at 2UE worked before the 2GB switch.

As a rugby league fan, not interested in ratings, just interested in hearing a lot less agenda-driven dribble during the main stations' 6 hour coverage of the game. It rates because they've pulled in the non-league fan which is a kick in the pants for the true league fan who doesn't want spastic songs all day.

In saying all of this, I fully realise it's the NRL's fault for awarding exclusive commercial rights in the first place. If I had the option of 2UE to go with the ABC (who don't cover league of sat arvs), I wouldn't care what 2GB did, in fact their rubbish would probably complement a more serious, yet still light-hearted 2UE call with Gibbs, Brandy, Brohman ect.

David Gallop and his mates deserve a kick up the pants for this one. It's nice to able move up and down the dial to hear things you may be interested in, but I find myself on Sundays now stuck on the ABC which do a fine job I might add. But it's nice to have options like the AFL people do in Melbourne - 8 or so stations.

Oh for the old days!

Ive been listening to 2GB for most of the day an every presenter, without fail, has talked up the Central Coast bid over the Gold Coast bid.

We all know how that works....

It would be good if the games media partners were not so biased towards their own.

iggy plop

First Grade
nospam49 said:
Ive been listening to 2GB for most of the day an every presenter, without fail, has talked up the Central Coast bid over the Gold Coast bid.

We all know how that works....

It would be good if the games media partners were not so biased towards their own.

The agendas are rife at that station.

They are at their strongest between 12 and 6 on saturday and sundays.