What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest coach of all time?

Greatest coach?

• Jack Gibson

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • Bob "Bozo" Fulton

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Trent Robinson

• Arthur "Pony" Holloway

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warren Ryan

• Phil Gould

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Wayne Bennett

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Craig Bellamy

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Steve Kearney

• Tim Sheens

• Leo Nosworthy

• Clive Churchill

• Harry Bath

• John Monie

• Ricky Stuart

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

TheDalek079

Bench
Nominees are:

Jack Gibson
Bob "Bozo" Fulton
Trent Robinson
Arthur "Pony" Holloway
Warren Ryan
Phil Gould
Wayne Bennett
Craig Bellamy
Steve Kearney
Tim Sheens
Leo Nosworthy
Clive Churchill
Harry Bath
John Monie
Ricky Stuart

TheDalek079

Bench
i selected Supercoach Jack Gibson. Five premierships, and his super teams (Easts 74/75 and Parra 81/82/83) are generally considered two of the greatest ever. Plus he got a winless Easts into the finals the following season. And he turned his footballers into better people.

The perfect coach!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Some respected posters maintain that to be a good coach you have had to play for Australia...

Examples- Clive Churchill, Des Hasler, Wayne Bennett, Bob Fulton..

Personally I'm not so sure, even though that list all have won multiple premierships..

Last edited:
Where's Jack Rayner on your list ?

Five premierships as capt/coach and full time work. Runners up 1949 and 1952. Played for Australia too.

Is listed in the Grand Final mag every year.

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
Pfft shit list.

Everyone knows the greatest of all time is

2004%20telegrapg%20card%20b0064.jpeg

Ibleedblue

Juniors
Jack Gibson hands down. Revolutionised the game, turned laughing stocks into genuine premiership material (Newtown made the finals when he coached them), won 3 straight premierships once, made his players better people, came out with the greatest one liners as well.

A super coach if there ever was one

davi

Juniors
When I think of Supercoaches I think of Wayne Bennett and Craig Belleamy. If I was predict the next Supercoach I would probably suggest Michael Maguire or Trent Robinson.

Trent Barrett for me does not come to mind, but Gus Gould has predicted he's the next Supercoach. Some will predictably say "Barrett's only had one good season". But Gould is predicting on potential not on record.

Interestingly Gould also suggests that coaching in the ranks is the highest standard it's ever been in the NRL. Considering the game now is full time and players are getting better from generation to generation, I guess it's not surprising that coaching is going that way also. The old days where a former player takes over the coaching reins and runs some football plays that he did as a player are now over.

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/06/26/...t-will-be-the-next-supercoach-says-phil-gould

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You missed a coach with one of the best strike rates for getting his teams to the finals..

2u6l6qb.png