What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest Kangaroo team of the past 50 years

Just a few randoms - Darren Lockyer, Greg Inglis, Laurie Daley, Gene Miles, Gorden Tallis, Petero Civoniceva, Bradley Clyde, Glenn Lazarus. Others can probably name plenty more - Buderus, Sterling and Mortimer come to mind. What about the immortal Jason Smith, never heard of him?

ET on the wing, Price in the second row? O'Connor, as good as he was, ahead of Daley and Inglis? You're having a laugh.

You name a lot of good players, but it is a question of relative quality. Reg Gasnier, Bobby Fulton and Mal Meninga dominated the centre position in their respective eras.

Some of my choices were close calls. In particular omitting Bradley Clyde. But Jason Smith, whom I did see play, was not even close.

Ray Price, mostly a lock, had to be picked somewhere. Either he or Ron Coote had to be shuffled to the second row.

Lockyer was a poor defender. I vividly remember the French second rower Jamal Fakir in 2004 attacking the Australian line and knocking Lockyer ten feet backwards on his bum in the process.

Laurie Daley was a good five eighth but not as good as King Wally and Brett Kenny. Laurie was an OK centre, but not as dangerous in attack as the ones I chose. Gene Miles was a very good centre but not sensational.

Glenn Lazarus was good, but pick him in place of whom?

Peter Sterling was probably 3rd best half back ever, but not better than Johns or Thurston, both of whom were great goal kickers as well as possessing all their other talents. Steve Mortimer was behind Sterling.

Greg Inglis has had an uneven career, partly diminished by the effects of injury, partly lapsed for other psychological reasons.. He has been brilliant and he has been mediocre. He doesn't always inject himself into the game. O'Connor was consistently at or near his best in rep games. But others might overlook Inglis's inconsistency and agree with you on Inglis.

Last edited:
You need to stop trying to take the piss with things you read and concentrate on things you witness ol'mate, your audience won't bite on stale bread . . . you need to keep up

I have been witnessing Australia vs Great Britain or England Test matches since 1962. I even took a day off school to see Great Britain thump the allegedly mighty St. George that year. I saw Langlands make his debut for Country Seconds in 1962 (when Les Johns was full back for Country Firsts). I saw the Poms play the non-tackling sprinter cum rugby league winger Michael Cleary into an Aussie Test jersey by letting him score a runaway try for NSW. I also remember watching Ken Irvine from when he played at North Sydney. I was at the Sydney Motor Club in 1975 when the World Cup losing British team came in, already drunk, and big prop Eric Chisnall and little half back Steve Nash started bashing the patrons. I have seen it all mate.

TiggaPlease

I have been witnessing Australia vs Great Britain or England Test matches since 1962. I even took a day off school to see Great Britain thump the allegedly mighty St. George that year. I saw Langlands make his debut for Country Seconds in 1962 (when Les Johns was full back for Country Firsts). I saw the Poms play the non-tackling sprinter cum rugby league winger Michael Cleary into an Aussie Test jersey by letting him score a runaway try for NSW. I also remember watching Ken Irvine from when he played at North Sydney. I was at the Sydney Motor Club in 1975 when the World Cup losing British team came in, already drunk, and big prop Eric Chisnall and little half back Steve Nash started bashing the patrons. I have seen it all mate.

Sure you have, Sub-Zero.

photo.jpg

POPEYE

Coach
Why don't I believe you

Vee

First Grade
Then you should know better than to pick Price in the 2nd row and Snoz ahead of Daley or Inglis.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ahhh costume parties haha

16 year old me was silly enough to start an LU account with my own name, please don't punish him by stalking real life things.

I doubt Albert knows who Sub Zero is, however.

DC_fan

Coach
FB: Billy Slater, & Graham Langlands

WG: Ken Irvine, Eric Grothe snr.Kerry Boustead & Terry Fahey

CE: Reg Gasnier, Mal Meninga, Bobby Fulton & Steve Rogers

FE: Wally Lewis & Brett Kenny

HB: Andrew Johns & Johnathan Thurston

LF: Johnny Raper & Ron Coote

SR: Bob McCarthy, Steve Menzies, Ray Price & Rod Reddy

FR: Arthur Beetson, John O'Neill, Bob O'Reilly & Brian Hambly

HK: Cameron Smith & Steve Walters

FB: Billy Slater, & Graham Langlands

WG: Ken Irvine, Eric Grothe snr.Kerry Boustead & Terry Fahey

CE: Reg Gasnier, Mal Meninga, Bobby Fulton & Steve Rogers

FE: Wally Lewis & Brett Kenny

HB: Andrew Johns & Johnathan Thurston

LF: Johnny Raper & Ron Coote

SR: Bob McCarthy, Steve Menzies, Ray Price & Rod Reddy

FR: Arthur Beetson, John O'Neill, Bob O'Reilly & Brian Hambly

HK: Cameron Smith & Steve Walters

Steve Rogers is an arguable selection. But ...

Terry Fahey? Better than Andrew Ettingshausen? Surely not. Fahey was big, but ET was brilliant.

Rod Reddy? Better than "Crusher" Cleal? Are you taking the piss?

Brian Hambly? Better than Andrew Fifita, Glen Lazarus, Shane Webcke or John Sattler? You will get few people if any to agree with that.