What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

greatest manly team

coolsteve

Juniors
1 stewart(loved eadie , though) 2 boustead 3 jamie lyons 4 bozo 5 o`conner 6 cliffy lyons 7 johnny gibbs 13 mal reilly 12 beaver 11 cleal 10 randall 9 krillich 8 kevin ward

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
My side (Not a Manly fan)

1. Graeme Eadie
2. Michael O'Connor
3. Bob Fulton
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Michael Robertson
6. Cliff Lyons
7. Johnny Gibbs
8. Mark Carroll
9. Max Krillich
10. Terry Randall
11. Noel Cleal
12. Steve Menzies
13. Paul Vautin

14. Phil Blake
15. Geoff Toovey
16. Des Hasler
17. Anthony Watmough

firechild

First Grade
typicalfan, not a bad side. Although I'd have Kosef in the second row, probably at the expense of Vautin. It's hard to leave blokes like Toovey or Hasler out but you'd want another prop in the side, probably Ian Roberts.

eagles4eva

First Grade
MANLY-WARRINGAH SEA EAGLES GREATEST TEAM:
1. Graham Eadie 1971-83 (237 games)
2. Ken Irvine 1971-73 (60 games)
3. Bob Fulton 1966-76 (213 games)
4. Michael O'Connor 1987-82 (115 games)
5. Ray Branighan 1972-78 (114 games)
6. Wally O'Connell 1951-52 (34 games)
7. Geoff Toovey 1988-2001 (286 games)
8. Roy Bull 1947-59 (177 games)
9. Max Krilich 1970-83 (215 games)
10. John O'Neill 1972-74 (51 games)
11. Steven Menzies 1993-2006 (302 games)
12. Terry Randall 1970-82 (208 games)
13. Malcolm Reilly 1971-75 (89 games)

Bench:
14. Des Hasler 1984-96 (255 games)
15. Ben Kennedy 2005-06 (37 games)
16. Cliff Lyons 1986-99 (309 games)
17. Paul Vautin 1979-89 (204 games)

Coach:
Frank Staton

Team Manager:
Ken Arthurson

Got too love copy and paste.....

http://www.rleague.com/content/article.php?id=26103

Also to that list Mathew Ridge, Nik Kosef...

zombie jesus

Staff member
I think Jamie Lyon replaces Michael O'Connor for me in that side if it were named today.
Brett Stewart and Kieran Foran have the potential to force their way in by the end of their careers.

firechild

First Grade
Agree that Brett Stewart could go down as the best fullback at Manly. It'd take a quality player to knock Eadie out of the side but Stewart certainly has the potential.

I cringe every time I see Ken Irvine's name mentioned in the great Manly sides because the bloke hates Manly. He's a Bear through and through. I met his niece and apparantly the entire Irvine family have a deep seated hatred for all things maroon and white. Having said that, his talent was unquestionable.

seaeagle sam

Id have to put rambo Ronny Gibbs in there somewhere...but only on 87 form.

Ronnie was fantastic throughout his time at Manly. He is one of my favs and the last bloke I was upset about losing when he decided to go into early retirement on the Gold Coast.

Since this thread started I've tried and tried to put my greatest team together and I just can't do it.

Johnny Gibbs, my favourite player as a kid but his career was interrupted by ongoing hamstring problems. Toovey therefore would be my half.

People forget Craig Innes - a champ in both attack and defence, in both codes. Hill, Gillespie, Kosef... In fact our mid 90's was the best side we have since the 70s and the current.

Wombat, Ridge, Snake?

Where does Des fit in? Played for his country 12 times, 13 time for his state and won a premiership.

Sorry can't do it. Doing my head in.

eagles4eva

First Grade
Team of players that were my favourite players it would be.

1. Graham Eadie
2. Kerry Boustead

3. Bob Fulton
4. Jamie Lyon

5. Michael O’conner
6. Cliff Lyons
7. Geoff Toovey
8. Ian Roberts
9. Max Krilich
10. Terry Randall
11. Steven Menzies

12. Nik Kosef
13. G Stewart
Bench:
14. Des Hasler
15. Les Boyd
16. Chris Close
17. Noel Cleal

Mal Cochrane, Phil Daley, Ronnie Gibbs, Mathew Ridge, Brett Stewart

firechild

First Grade
I can barely remember anyone before the very late 80s, I don't even remember the 87 grand final so for me to put a team together it would be based purely on reputations so I could only put together a team from the last 20 years or so, unfortunately that would mean ruling out some of the greats in Fulton, Eadie, Randall, etc.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Craig Hancock
3. Michael O'Conner
4. Jamie Lyon
5. John Hopoate
6. Cliff Lyons
7. Geoff Toovey
8. David Gillespe
9. Des Hasler
10. Ian Roberts
11. Steve Menzies
12. Ben Kennedy
13. Nik Kosef

I'm not going to worry about a bench because while there are plenty of second rowers (Gartner, Watmough, Vautin, etc) that could be added, there aren't any other standout props from that period.

stoodamire

Juniors
Mark Carroll?

I always torn between Matthew Ridge and Brett Stewart.

Ridge is my all time favourite player...

Tommax25

Bench
Take my team with a grain of salt as I've only been watching league from 2000ish to now but:

1. Brett Stewart (I know Eadie is an all-time great but this guy is going to finish up very close to the top try scorer in the games history, and definitely the greatest try scorer of the modern era, can't leave him out)
2. John Hopoate (love the aggression and had a great try scoring record during his career, gets the nod as I haven't seen a lot of the other candidates)
3. Jamie Lyon (brought class, consistency and the winning mentality that has helped Manly to be a dominant force in recent years. Possibly a candidate for me not having seen enough of Manly's player though)
4. Bob Fulton (immortal, easy)
5. Michael O'Conner (sideline conversions and all, he was fantastic and worth his spot in the side)
6. Cliff Lyons (I've heard enough about the magic and the link up with my favourite player, Beaver, and how many games he's played its pretty easy to pick him. Partnership with Toovey seals the deal)
7. Geoff Toovey (again, fairly easy choice, even though I didn't see TOO much of him. Partnership with Lyons seals the deal)
8. Ian Roberts (great player, proved his worth in his 100 games for the club)
9. Max Krillich (great servant to the club, one club man, brilliant player (so i hear!))
10. Terry Randall (who doesn't love a guy who goes form centre to prop in 2 seasons?)
11. Steve Menzies (I don't think a single fan will not choose him in the 11, and if they don't I'd argue they aren't true fans. The one position without argument imo)
12. Mark Carrol (adds some toughness to the side and was a great player in his day)
13. Ben Kennedy (he was amazing for those two seasons. I haven't seen a single player transform a club so quickly. He took the players, hardened them, and put them in a great position to win the comp (which they did) after he left. I wholeheartedly believe that if he had never signed with Manly then they would not have won the comp, even though he didn't actually play in the GF sides!)

14. Des Hasler (steller playing career and great versatility see's Dessie getting the bench utility spot. Add in what he's done in his coaching career and its an easy pick)
15. Paul Vautin (great player and vocal supporter of the club, legend and easy choice)
16. Noel Cleal (great career with the club in both playing and non-playing capacity)
17. John O'Neill (part of two premiership and a great prop to have coming off the bench)

woodyk2

First Grade
I just cant do this!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant work out who to leave out......every position except maybe hooker has 3/4 possibles. Thought id settled on my wingers then remembered Russel Gartner who was a favourite when i was a kid.

stoodamire

Juniors
1) Ridge
2) Moore
3) Inness
4) Hill
5) Hopoate
6) Lyons
7) Toovey
8) Cunningham
9) Serdaris
10) Carroll
11) Menzies
12) Gartner
13) Kosef

14) Tierney
15) Hasler
16) Hancock
17) Gillespie

any team whom is not a 1908 team has none or very little history it's as simple as that.

one-eyed rabbitoh.

Attachments

• imagesCA4BQ8YI.jpg
    imagesCA4BQ8YI.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 0

firechild

First Grade
1) Ridge
2) Moore
3) Inness
4) Hill
5) Hopoate
6) Lyons
7) Toovey
8) Cunningham
9) Serdaris
10) Carroll
11) Menzies
12) Gartner
13) Kosef

14) Tierney
15) Hasler
16) Hancock
17) Gillespie

1996 was a very good year. Considering the talent in that squad, it's still amazing that they did not win in 1995 and 1997 as well.

Scarves

Juniors
Manly is the backrowers club. Since the 80's there have been so many exceptional players in this position. Gibbs, Vautin, Cleal, Gartner, Kosef, Menzies, Watmough, G Stewart, Kennedy, and Mal Kaufusi. I'd love RLW to do a where are they now on guys like Gary Winter and Mal Kaufusi.