What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

greatest manly team

jbl31649

Juniors
any team whom is not a 1908 team has none or very little history it's as simple as that.
one-eyed rabbitoh.

40 years since your last premiership, 22 years since you were minor premiers, but only 5 years since you won the woodenspoon and evern a stint on the sidelines. Hmmm thats some good history.

Same period we didn't manage much just 7 premierships, 9 minors, a world club challenge and currently 2nd in the top 8, but I surpose you do have your long fadding memories because the past is all you have.

woodyk2

First Grade
1.Stewart....loved Eadie
6. Cliff Lyons....wallys not god
7.Geoff Toovey

14.Des Hasler

coolsteve

Juniors
1 stewart(loved eadie , though) 2 boustead 3 jamie lyons 4 bozo 5 o`conner 6 cliffy lyons 7 johnny gibbs 13 mal reilly 12 beaver 11 cleal 10 randall 9 krillich 8 kevin ward
can`t believe i found no room for les boyd(loved him to death)maybe have to get rid of ward.talking of a backrowers club,we had some good pommies ,too,phil lowe was brilliant for a season or two,mal reilly ,what can you say, played with two broken knees and still bashed em,kevin ward was the hard man we needed at that time .those 70`s years were awesome games

I know you guys are listing individual players buy this current Manly team will evolve in to one of your best ever.

It's a shame Hoppa Jnr is going overseas because he'd be on the list in 10 years

any team whom is not a 1908 team has none or very little history it's as simple as that.

one-eyed rabbitoh.

How many times have Manly been kicked out of the comp?

CC_Eagle

First Grade

one-eyed rabbitoh.

Seven premierships and nine runners up. That's sixteen Grand Finals. Nine minor premierships, a World Club Challenge and the most important, not one wooden spoon. The majority of which have occurred within the past thirty odd years.

The only other club that rivals that sort of 'contemporary' history (or history that actually matters) is Brisbane.

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
I know you guys are listing individual players buy this current Manly team will evolve in to one of your best ever.

It's a shame Hoppa Jnr is going overseas because he'd be on the list in 10 years

I have a feeling one of the reasons Hoppa decided to go on his mission when he did is that he sees himself as a fullback and with Brett Stewart being the current manly fullback he has no chance of cracking a spot there. His dad sees him as a centre, with Lyon and Matai there he'd struggle to crack a spot unless on the wing. If he does his 2 years now then by the time he gets back Lyon won't be far from retirement, Brett will be just a couple of years behind. Hoppa may bide his time in the centres before replacing Stewart at the back (Stewart could even become a winger in the later stages of his career). Had Hoppa decided to go on his mission in a couple of years time, he'd be hard pressed to cement a spot in one of his prefered positions and if he managed to get there, he'd be leaving for his mission. I agree that Hoppa has the potential to be one of the greats along with Foran. With Buhrer and DCE coming through, the future is looking very promising.

coolsteve

Juniors
I have a feeling one of the reasons Hoppa decided to go on his mission when he did is that he sees himself as a fullback and with Brett Stewart being the current manly fullback he has no chance of cracking a spot there. His dad sees him as a centre, with Lyon and Matai there he'd struggle to crack a spot unless on the wing. If he does his 2 years now then by the time he gets back Lyon won't be far from retirement, Brett will be just a couple of years behind. Hoppa may bide his time in the centres before replacing Stewart at the back (Stewart could even become a winger in the later stages of his career). Had Hoppa decided to go on his mission in a couple of years time, he'd be hard pressed to cement a spot in one of his prefered positions and if he managed to get there, he'd be leaving for his mission. I agree that Hoppa has the potential to be one of the greats along with Foran. With Buhrer and DCE coming through, the future is looking very promising.
or he`d have 5 clubs dripping all over him, come come back time.

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
He already has that. Clubs like St Merge, Canterbury, Parra and the Roosters are all pretty keen to get him into their squads.

As much as I'd love to see him in the RW&B he belongs at Manly

Is it true his old man wanted him to stay and play league then do the mission after his career was over? He can do it when he's 40!

Hopefully he finds a way to keep fit, tackle a few Americans while he's there :D

firechild

First Grade
Yeah, he could do it when he's 40 but most of them try to get it out of the way quickly because who wants to go off on a 2 year mission when they're married and have a couple of young kids? (Don't answer that, the answer will probably go against the point I was making :lol:)