What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenberg to become deputy NRL CEO in management restructure

LESStar58

Referee
Greenberg will be Smith's deputy by the looks, i wonder how the News hacks will try and spin this as a negative????

I was thinking the same thing.

All the negative article about Smith's tenure, led by Raaaaaaaay, were really at fever pitch
this week. Something tells me that this appointment was a long time coming and certainly isn't Smith being reactive to criticism. This is either a master stroke or a huge mistake.

I hate the Bulldogs but Greenberg did a great job getting the Dogs out of the blanket of all the bullshit they've had to contend with in the last 10-15 years. I reckon he'll do well.

LESStar58

Referee
I don't think many did. They tried hard to sell it but not many have bought it.

I was sceptical to begin with... then ASADA blew up and I was impressed with how he handled the initial revelations. Since then I'm indifferent....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Re how would they spin it negatively, didn't take much! Paul Murray and Alan jones both laid into it saying waste of money, could have been spent on Jnr's, smith needs help as out of his depth, NRL too top heavy, ceo now too far away from the fans etc etc. even Ben Ikin and Paul Kent on nrl360 looked like they wanted to be positive but were being forced to lace it with Negativity.

Don't understand news ltd agenda, can understand being peeved at no longer running the game but after investing so heavily you would think they would want to talk the game up to get a return on that investment?

The other thing that amazes me is how stupid these media people are when it comes to how companies run and what the usual management structure and roles are. What smith has put in place is no different to my much smaller organisation. Our CEO is there to develop the business, has a management team who are experts in their fields and we work as a snr executive team to carry out the strategic plan of the board. Ffs it is business mngmt 101!

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Here's how News Limited hacks work:

* Tuesday: write an article complaining that the NRL has lost the common touch by setting up a professional management structure

* Wednesday: write an article complaining that the NRL has lost ground by not setting up a professional management structure sooner

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...club-council-powerbrokers-20130424-2if8k.html

Smith has our full support, say club council powerbrokers

Date
April 25, 2013

Glenn Jackson
Rugby League Writer

Club powerbrokers have thrown their support behind NRL chief executive Dave Smith following this week's structural upheaval, highlighted by the key appointments of Todd Greenberg and Jim Doyle.

The NRL's powerful club council met at League Central on Wednesday, and voted unanimously among those attending to endorse the game's chief executive.

''The clubs have given their complete support to the structural changes made [by Smith on Tuesday],'' said David Trodden, the spokesman for the council. ''Every club is convinced the game is heading in the right direction. The changes … are about growing the game strategically and that is what we have all been working towards. There is very strong support for David and his administration amongst the clubs and there is a real sense we can communicate with him about key long-term issues. He has our complete support.''

Club bosses who attended included Sydney Roosters' Nick Politis, Penrith's Phil Gould, St George Illawarra's Peter Doust, South Sydney's Shane Richardson and the Bulldogs' Ray Dib. All but two clubs, the Warriors and Brisbane, were represented.

Richardson, one of the game's longest-serving club bosses, revealed Smith had addressed the Rabbitohs' board about the future of the game about a month ago.

''This is not a knee-jerk reaction,'' Richardson said. ''He spoke to us for about two hours, and our board felt very confident about where he was going strategically. This is not just about reacting to a crowd at the City-Country. I agree with him; we should judge him on his performance over 18 months, not over the past three months.''

Richardson also backed the appointments of Greenberg (head of football) and Doyle (chief operating officer). ''He's the best young CEO in the game; Todd's a great appointment - he gets clubs, he gets club-land, and he's not a Johnny-come-lately. He's been in the game for a long time. And I really like Jim Doyle [the former NZRL boss].''

The club council also endorsed proposed changes by the NSWRL to adopt a new constitution.

The NSWRL had an extraordinary general meeting after the club council met, which resolved to reduce the board from nine members to seven, while ensuring clubs - rather than club representatives - are members.

''The league has taken its greatest step forward in a governance sense for 30 years,'' Trodden said. ''Following on from the Australian Rugby League Commission, we now position the game in NSW to take advantage of the great strides the game has made over the past few years.''

The changes mean chairman John Chalk will vacate his role on the board.

Flapper

First Grade
Unfortunately his many thousands of listeners........

.....now back on point .... did he have a backflip or any praise for Smith after the press conference or was it not mentioned? Anyone know?

Since you asked he glossed over it for the most part preferring to take a stick to Fairfax for hammering News about its "hidden agendas" and apparent pro-ASADA coverage. Quite a ridiculous 5 minutes.

Oh and Dave Smith's returned his calls so everyone relax

Inadvertently, being that he may replace Smith before Smith is ready to go.

I doubt that.

Anyone smart enough to restructure and bring in good people will be around as long as they want.

For all we know though the plan all along may have been for smith to be there short term.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Inadvertently, being that he may replace Smith before Smith is ready to go.

There is nothing 'inadvertent' about Smith's decision making on this occasion.

If he intends to hand over to Greenberg in five to seven years time then that reflects even better on him that he has though tea out a succession plan.

You have to put yourself in Smiths shoes, he is embarking on probably the most exciting part of his life, in a personal sense. He is now in charge of a wonderful sport with huge scope for growth, and the opportunity for a lot of fun along the way. He would be highly motivated by this with every day bringing fresh challenges.

I'm right behind him, because he is the real deal. Our game has grand days ahead.

Matchball

Bench
Wonder how long it will take Hadley to claim he made the changes happen by being vocal about Smith.
His ego would love this. Basking in his own grandeur for nothing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The clubs saying they were briefed some time ago puts paid to any nonsense that this was a reaction to media pressure.

Billythekid

First Grade
The clubs saying they were briefed some time ago puts paid to any nonsense that this was a reaction to media pressure.

Anyone with more than a few brain cells know that. A big change like that doesn't happen overnight and it's clearly something they would have been working on for some time.

Of course our media is full of morons with obvious agendas so i guess it's to be expected.

thorson1987

Coach
Anyone with more than a few brain cells know that. A big change like that doesn't happen overnight and it's clearly something they would have been working on for some time.

Of course our media is full of morons with obvious agendas so i guess it's to be expected.

I'd hazard a guess that they have been working on it from Smith's first day.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Took us a year to complete a full restructure at my company, ten weeks on top of the asada fiasco is pretty impressive going!

Billythekid

First Grade
I'd hazard a guess that they have been working on it from Smith's first day.

Smith is used to being CEO at properly run companies i'd imagine. When he started at the NRL and saw the chook raffle we were running i'd say he would have started looking into this type of restructure immediately.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/new-brooms-bring-sweeping-changes/story-fndujljl-1226629651510

New brooms bring sweeping changes

Mike Colman
The Courier-Mail
April 26, 2013 12:00AM

HERE'S a first. The announcement the ARL Commission made the other day about the two new executive appointments? I reckon they've got it right.

The new broom sweeping through rugby league at the moment doesn't make a lot of noise but it seems to be moving a bit of dust.

I guess we have been spoilt for information from league HQ over the years.

CEOs such as David Gallop and John Quayle were not averse to the odd media conference or two, although most of their best work was done over a feed and a few drinks.

The relationship between Phillip St (then later Fox Studios) and certain rugby league journos was close to say the least. Some thought too close.

John Grant, the man who runs the game now, would seem to be in that category.

Grant has been at pains to shut down the stream of information, misinformation and rumours that once gushed forth from the league's offices.

He was openly critical of Gallop's "reactive" style of management and since Gallop's hasty exit from the job, has preferred to follow Wayne Bennett's theory of media relations: don't say anything until you have something to say, and then don't say it. The day Gallop left the NRL was the day we stopped hearing about the progress of the new TV deal. Until it was signed.

The commission refused to give any hints on who, if anyone, was in line for Gallop's old job. Until they appointed David Smith.

Their silence over the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority scandal, in contrast to certain shadowy figures who can't seem to keep their traps shut on the matter, has been nothing short of deafening.

Now this. Todd Greenberg head of football and Jim Doyle chief operations officer.

Who knew?

Well, obviously Todd Greenberg and Jim Doyle for starters, but neither they nor anyone else was talking about it.

While not giving away anything, Grant has always said he was going to change the way things were done. Well, this has got to be one of the biggest: no media leaks.

While it will take some getting used to (the late rugby league journalist Peter "Chippy" Frilingos will be turning in his grave), if Grant was aiming to give an insight into the future, this announcement was a perfect way to do it.

Not only has the commission made two key appointments, one of them is amongst the highest profile executives in the game who was pinched right under the collective noses of the ravenous media pack and, even more voracious, Canterbury supporters.

While you might get a few grumbles from those two partisan groups, I think Greenberg's appointment could be the best for years.

The good thing is, he has not been hired to run the NRL, he is being hired to run the game. They are two entirely different animals.

Last weekend, after the less than inspiring City-Country clash (read: waste of time) well-known media identity Ray Hadley labelled David Smith a "dunce" and told him to go back to banking.

While the close-following announcement of the appointment of Greenberg and Doyle was unrelated to Hadley's remarks, some could argue that by admitting he needs help Smith proved he was anything but a dunce.

In fact, he was rubber-stamping something that should have been done years ago.

The job of running the NRL is simply too big for one man. John Quayle kept such a tight hand on the tiller that when it was suggested he loosen it a little and listen to contrary views, the game almost imploded.

The effect the job had on Gallop could be assessed as easily as looking at a series of photos taken of him at different stages along the journey.

The splitting of the billion-dollar industry that is rugby league into seven separate divisions will enable it to be run efficiently along corporate lines, by people who, while not necessarily having the slightest clue about what is going on on the other six entities, will at least have expertise in their own.

That should be good news for fans of rugby league because, unlike David Smith, Todd Greenberg knows footy.