What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...girlfriendtells/2008/09/06/1220121596189.html

I dated Greg Bird for four years and he never hurt me Ex-girlfriend tells:

Caroline Marcus | September 7, 2008

THE woman allegedly glassed in the eye by Cronulla Sharks star Greg Bird has a fiery temper and is hiding the truth behind her scars, his high school sweetheart says.

Stacey Sulway, who grew up with Bird and dated him for more than four years before the relationship ended in November, said he was a "peacekeeper" who had never hurt her.

Ms Sulway, 22, said she was "gobsmacked" when she learned Bird, 24, had been charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on his American girlfriend, Katie Milligan, at his Cronulla apartment on August 24.

Ms Milligan, 24, moved to Sydney and into Bird's waterfront home two months ago after meeting the Cronulla Sharks and State of Origin player in Las Vegas.

Ms Sulway said Ms Milligan had a reputation for a bad temper. "She is a fiery person," Ms Sulway said. "There is a more to the story."

The Cronulla flight attendant said she could not believe the accusations against Bird, the Sharks, NSW and Australia five-eighth who has been stood down by his club and is due to face court again in October.

"The whole time we were together he was the perfect gentleman. He is such a calm, gentle guy," she said.

"It is just that out of character for Greg to do anything like that.

"When we were together, people would get into fights around Greg. He is just such a peacekeeper, the biggest mediator ever.

"On the field, he is a bit of a firehead, which is fair enough, [but] I have never known him to get into one fight."

Ms Sulway said her romance with Bird ended amicably, the pair splitting because they felt they were too young to be in a serious relationship and because of her new job with Qantas.

Shortly afterwards, Bird went to Las Vegas on an end-of-season football trip, telling her later he had "met somebody."

"I just thought it was a holiday romance," Ms Sulway said.

"A couple of months later he rang me to tell me he had a new girlfriend. I said, 'Good for you, babe'. [I thought] if she makes him happy, she makes him happy."

But she quickly learned that Bird was having trouble in his new relationship, with mutual friends telling her of public rows.

"I know that they were having problems," she said. "I thought that they were actually broken up."

Ms Sulway's own relationship with Bird made headlines in March 2006 when the player was accused of sending "rude" text messages to model Lara Bingle.

Ms Sulway said the scandal was the only time she and Bird had fought.

She said she had been in regular contact with Bird's sisters and his mother, Iris, since Bird was charged.

"He is obviously upset about the whole situation and quite depressed," Ms Sulway said.

Despite almost losing her eye, Ms Milligan has refused to talk to police and has vowed to reunite with her man.

Ms Sulway said: "If she was going to stand by him, she would have spoken to the police and defended him until she was black and blue in the face.

She is definitely hiding something."

Yesterday Bird's manager, Gavin Orr, said his client and Ms Milligan had no comment.

Ms Sulway said she did not rule out a future reunion with her ex. "Who knows what may happen?" she said.

bartman

Immortal
Nah, she's just still carrying a torch... and claiming her 15 mins of fame.

Ms Sulway said she did not rule out a future reunion with her ex. "Who knows what may happen?" she said.

God-King Dean

Immortal

:lol: What a stupid b*tch.

bartman

Immortal
The latest update... Bird denied!

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/sharks-and-nrl-stand-firm-onban/2008/09/11/1220857741011.html

Bird bids to play part in finals but Sharks and NRL stand firm on ban

Andrew Webster | September 12, 2008

SUSPENDED Cronulla lock Greg Bird has made a desperate plea to NRL chief executive David Gallop to play in this year's finals series - and failed.

With the Sharks in their best position in years to finally win a breakthrough premiership, Bird's manager, Gavin Orr, and lawyer Andrew O'Brien met Gallop yesterday afternoon to state the Australian and NSW representative's case for reinstatement on the eve of the play-offs. They asked why Bird could not play even though he had not been convicted of allegedly glassing girlfriend Katie Milligan last month.

"We asked why there should be special circumstances for a rugby league player," O'Brien told the Herald last night. "We believe Greg deserves the benefit of the doubt. He is innocent until it is proven otherwise."

But Gallop and the Sharks weren't budging last night.

Gallop made it clear to Bird's representatives that the decision to stand down Bird had been made by the club but it had his "full support", and Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia said last night: "Until further information is provided by police the club has no intention to review the decision. The club has not been made aware of what did or did not occur by either Greg or the alleged victim."

Gavin Orr could not be contacted last night, and his brother and partner, Chris, refused to comment. But is understood they won't lobby the Sharks about reinstating their client.

Gallop also held discussions with Sharks coach Ricky Stuart, who told him that the push for his star player's return was not being driven by the club.

"I spoke to Ricky Stuart, and he agrees with the position as it stands as well," Gallop said. "He [Orr] seemed to be under the misapprehension that the decision to stand Greg Bird down was made by the NRL. I advised him it was the Sharks' decision but it had our full support.

"The fact is the various matters are still very much in the hands of police …"

It is understood one of the key reasons the Sharks do not want to play Bird is pressure from major sponsor LG Electronics, which is embarrassed by the adverse publicity the incident has generated.

There is no suggestion the Sharks are behind this last-ditch push to have Bird feature in the finals, starting with tomorrow night's qualifying final against the Raiders at Toyota Stadium.

While Bird watches from the sidelines, other NRL players have been allowed to play despite facing serious police charges.

Warriors winger Michael Crockett has not been banned from playing while he defends himself against sexual assault allegations. And Bird's teammate, Ben Pomeroy, has been allowed to continue playing while defending allegations he assaulted a 24-year-old man at a concert of American band Korn at the Sydney Entertainment Centre in April still before the courts.

"There is no black-and-white rule about these situations," Gallop said. "Clubs have to weigh up the circumstances and in particular look at the extent to which there are facts in dispute."

Bird has not played since being charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on Milligan at his Cronulla unit on August 24.

He is due to face court on October 8. He is also due to face court in relation to an incident involving a 20-year-old woman at a Cronulla nightclub in January.

Last edited:

OVP

Coach
The problem is that The Law states everyone is innocent until proven otherwise. Until his day in court, Bird is well within his rights to be employed. If they dont back down, Bird can sue the arse off the Sharks and the NRL.

sharko

Juniors
Bird should be allowed to represent his club in the semis and his country in the World Cup...to not allow hi to do so is atarvesty of justice.He has made up with his woman, she has not made a statement to police since getting out of hospital, the media coverage has been inaccurate and appalling.
To have Bird paly laegue again this year would be good forthem both and for the game..I hope the Sharks give him this opportunity!

Danish

Referee
The problem is that The Law states everyone is innocent until proven otherwise. Until his day in court, Bird is well within his rights to be employed. If they dont back down, Bird can sue the arse off the Sharks and the NRL.

Unless the sharks aren't paying him then he would have no basis to sue.

Latest posts