What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus is a utter knob of a commentator

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Gould is a terrible commentator. He's a complainer and harps on about a call for minutes on end. Warren is just a waste of space who ends up mostly whining about Gould or mispronouncing names.

typicalfan

Coach
Every game on Fox, absolute bliss!

Only in RL would you get a GM of a club lead commentating on games. Amateur hour at its best is our game.

Gould doesn't conmentate Panthers games. Brandy does and he is directly involved with the club.

SBD82

Coach
I plug my tablet into my PVR in the USB slot. Then play it on the TV

I'd love to play the app through my television.

Can you explain this for us poor tech illiterate saps? I have the app on my iPad and hdmi inputs in my television. Also a media player with USB inputs.

Bigfella

Coach
Probably the biggest conflict of interest of all is that sterlo commentates on parra games, when every second bloke playing halfback for us is the next him.

That must be tricky

thorson1987

Coach
Probably the biggest conflict of interest of all is that sterlo commentates on parra games, when every second bloke playing halfback for us is the next him.

That must be tricky

Sterlo is pretty good, but you can hear how much it hurts him when Parra are playing like shit, especially on the monday night call on MMM.

We only get fox commentary in NZ as of this year. So the days of Rabs Vs Gus look like they're over for us. I do wonder what commentary we'll get for the rep games though.

My favourite ever piece of Gus commentary was when Willie Mason dropped Stuart Fielden in a test match in 2006. Gus said Mason was provoked and then he "gave him what he deserved". I have since used that line when people provoke me in any walk of life.

My favourite Rabs moments are any times when he refers to a player as a number instead of a name, like he did with the Warriors and Raiders for many years. "And the balls come to, to...7, and he's scored" (Todd Carney).

nomis88

Juniors
It's so good to be able to watch Foxtel for every game now. I don't have to put up with the Channel 9 rubbish anymore.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Problem is Alexander is becoming increasingly Gus like with his constant criticism refs and players. How many times did he tell us in the Warriors game that the players didn't want to put their bodies on the line? Why fox are using him so much is beyond me.

GO ONYA MAL!!!

KANGAROOS coach Mal Meninga has hit back at Phil Gould’s criticism of Friday’s win over New Zealand, saying the rugby league commentator hasn’t played Test footy before.
The Channel Nine analyst was scathing of Australia’s 16-0 win of the Kiwis in Newcastle on Friday night, claiming that the current line-up would have no chance of winning next year’s World Cup. “We’re kidding ourselves about winning the World Cup if this is the best we can produce,” Gould said.
Meninga, in his first game in charge of the national team, immediately returned serve post-match.
“Phil hasn’t played test match footy before,” Meninga said.
“He’s a great judge of the game. It disappoints me that someone of his ilk would say that.
“It’s not too often in any game, but certainly in Test match footy, where you hold a team to zero.”
The Kangaroos had cantered to a 12-0 lead by halftime but failed to kick on after the break despite enjoying at least 50 plays inside the Kiwis’ red zone.
A late try to Blake Ferguson and a penalty goal to Cameron Smith were the only points of the half.
The longer the game went, the harsher Gould’s assessment became, and he eventually took aim at the elder statesmen of the team. Half of Meninga’s line-up against the Kiwis are 30 years or older, including skipper Cameron Smith and man-of-the-match Paul Gallen.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

“They can’t possibly be thinking this is the side for the World Cup at the end of next year. Don’t get me wrong — they have all been excellent players. But there comes a time,” Gould said.
Smith defended the side, labelling it one of the best Kangaroos line-ups in history.
“I think it’s one of the best footy sides that’s been assembled for the green and gold. Tell me a guy that doesn’t deserve to be here tonight,” he said.
“We’re all in great form. The guy that got man of the match tonight is the oldest bloke in the competition. It probably speaks volumes in itself.”
Meninga said Gould’s comments took the gloss off a physical contest.
“We’ve come to a media conference and we’re talking about age and what Phil Gould’s talked about. People have got to understand what Test match footy is,” he said.
“You don’t really understand if you don’t play it, to be honest with you.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ma...s/news-story/c32023c803c6d00914a015f908405fa6

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gus was spot on, the game was boring as batshit. Struggled to put away the NZ second team.

Gould can be a whinging knob, but is Mal so dumb that he can alienate the entire fan base by saying that no one knows anything about Test football unless they've played?

Poor yourself another beer Mal, ya dildo.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gould can be a whinging knob, but is Mal so dumb that he can alienate the entire fan base by saying that no one knows anything about Test football unless they've played?

Poor yourself another beer Mal, ya dildo.
And RL has given Mal absolutely nothing.

gUt

Coach
Maybe the kiwis were good enough in the forwards to make the game a dour battle. So sick of Gould's whinging and running the game down. This was my first channel 9 game of the year; can't wait to go back to Fox where the commentators actually like the game.

drago brelli

Bench
Meninga's a bit of a dope. Gould is one of the most astute league minds going. We have an aging team, it's obvious. The Kiwis at full strength would beat us. England will seriously challenge us, that's why Bennett took the England job. Bennett's used to taking over talented teams and being payed well. He learnt his lesson at Newcastle.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Gus was spot on, the game was boring as batshit. Struggled to put away the NZ second team.

Hold on there champ, a 4th rate Aussie side took the 1st rate Kiwi side to the line in the last 4 nations, and should have won it - that pass called forward wasn't.

It was a test match, whoever pulls on a jersey for their country will aim up.

Gus was totally wrong, it actually was a really good hard defensive game.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Hold on there champ, a 4th rate Aussie side took the 1st rate Kiwi side to the line in the last 4 nations, and should have won it - that pass called forward wasn't.

It was a test match, whoever pulls on a jersey for their country will aim up.

Gus was totally wrong, it actually was a really good hard defensive game.
Not surprised a Yawnion fan enjoyed the game. Especially those penalty kicks huh??? ;-)

Latest posts