What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guys, we're dreaming....

dubby

Bench
I think International RL is screwed.
There is little to zero interest from the ARL in regards to planning the next WC, with the guys in charge looking for an easy option and showing no foresight or ambition.
There is no real IRL board to keep things organised at that level.
There is a huge gap between Aust. and the rest. Apart from NZ, nobody is even close to matching us, and yet ESL clubs won't release players for test matches and the players themselves won't play (Benji and his shoulder..).
There is zero interest in the French game from the French people, 7k at a test match? Where are their juniors? There is no hope for the French I feel, no matter how keen we are to push it, they just don't have a chance with the adversity they face from the likes of RU sabotaging them and the lack of compassion from the heavy weights like AUS or GB to help them.
No developed country seems to be lending a hand to any developing nation because we are so consumed with our own growth. Thats fair enough, thats why we need an IRL board to provide leadership, growth and development of all developing countries and bring an equal unbiased genre to the game.
While it is exciting to see countries like Germany, Holland and Russia playing the game, i feel the cause is hopeless unless there is some initiative shown to properly develop, nurture and grow the game, and for the people in charge to really care about what they are doing to the game.
I would love to see this game of ours strive, flourish and be competitive on an international stage, but it isn't gonna happen. Not until some leadership is shown and agendas disposed of. And it would help if the people in the game supported the game, Peter Peters, Ray Chesterton, where are you when Uraguay and some other sliprock RU nation area playing some "mickey mouse" test that is attended by squat and won by 100???
This game will not go any further until the people involved, people who make the decisions actaully give a rats.

carlnz

Bench
dubby said:
I think International RL is screwed.
There is little to zero interest from the ARL in regards to planning the next WC, with the guys in charge looking for an easy option and showing no foresight or ambition.
There is no real IRL board to keep things organised at that level.
There is a huge gap between Aust. and the rest. Apart from NZ, nobody is even close to matching us, and yet ESL clubs won't release players for test matches and the players themselves won't play (Benji and his shoulder..).
There is zero interest in the French game from the French people, 7k at a test match? Where are their juniors? There is no hope for the French I feel, no matter how keen we are to push it, they just don't have a chance with the adversity they face from the likes of RU sabotaging them and the lack of compassion from the heavy weights like AUS or GB to help them.
No developed country seems to be lending a hand to any developing nation because we are so consumed with our own growth. Thats fair enough, thats why we need an IRL board to provide leadership, growth and development of all developing countries and bring an equal unbiased genre to the game

8,000 to a Test match for France is really bad, lets just look back to the 2000 World Cup....Don’t judge France until the end of next after they have had a year in the Super League. Why do you think they have no juniors? Because only 8,000 turned up to the Test Match? What about Australia I’m sure they have more than 28,000 players that could have gone to the Kiwis Test Match?

How do you know there is the ARL does not care about the World Cup? Do you work for them or do you attend their board meetings? That’s right they don’t care that’s why they helped run the Tonga vs Samoa Test Match the other month.

Oh and yeah Aus and NZ and GB don’t care about anyone but themselves.....that’s why the RFL have let in France into the Super League, That’s why Wales have been let into the National Leagues...That’s why Australia played against PNG this year, and played against France and USA last year. That’s why the Kiwis played against France this year, helped the Cook Islands vs NZ Maori take place in NZ, and helped fund Russia's tour to NZ last year.

Oh I forgot to add in there that both the ARL and NZRL helped and put money forward to last years Pacific Rim and Cup tournaments.

Mate they do a lot to help the game, yes maybe they could do a lot more and who knows after the 2008 World Cup it might kick start everything into action again!

Let’s look at the facts now; International Rugby League has been on the rise for the last couple of years. Just look at the European Cup and Med Cup even though it was cancelled this year. France are getting very competitive and we have many new nations taking up the sport around the world!!

There will always be a huge gape between Australia, NZ and GB. Why? Because they are all Professional League teams where the rest are Amateurs, please tell me where in a sport that nations that are Amateurs compete and sometimes win against a full time Professional Nation?

screeny

Bench
Disagree with the comments but sympathise with the melancholy. If Lantana's thread on the ARL stuffing up the alleged WC2008 is true then I agree we will be stuffed.

Some kind of revolution will need to occur, led by the RFL and NZRL as Love, Carr etc will have proved they're incapable of doing anything.

roopy

Referee
International Rugby League is growing from the ground up - not from the top down.

Australia, NZ and GB are not doing enough - but literally dozens of small nations (in Rugby League terms) are taking it on themselves to make it happen.

I actually think the game would progress quicker if an International federation was formed that excluded the big three and concentrated on developing the game without their so called 'help'.

bartman

Immortal
In my view we're also still recovering from ten years ago when media companies realised our "product" could be an "asset", and the damage done in the process of them fighting for "control".

Growing a wider international game from the roots again takes time.

dubby

Bench
roopy said:
International Rugby League is growing from the ground up - not from the top down.

Australia, NZ and GB are not doing enough - but literally dozens of small nations (in Rugby League terms) are taking it on themselves to make it happen.

I actually think the game would progress quicker if an International federation was formed that excluded the big three and concentrated on developing the game without their so called 'help'.

Thats pretty much the point i was trying to make.
As for Carlos, dude, the TOnga-Samao game was all players from AUst and NZ teams. There were no players picked from the native comp. Yeah the ARL did a wonderful job promoting that match didn't they?
I concede that the RFL seem to be more proactive in development, and i take my hat off to them, and i was unaware of NZRL contribution to the Cooks :oops:
Sorry if my post was full of "the sky is falling" sentiment, but i dream of this game being played on a competitive international scale, and i only wish for the big countries to help out...

hutch

First Grade
dubby said:
Sorry if my post was full of "the sky is falling" sentiment, but i dream of this game being played on a competitive international scale, and i only wish for the big countries to help out...

here here, dont we all mate, thats probably why we spend so much time whinging on these forums, because we all know the game has so much potential internationally, but with little or no direction its going to be awhile before the game gets to where we want it to be.

CAS

Juniors
The thing is, a Strong International Game is achievable, it just takes a bit of Work and a bit of Money (Not Millions and Millions, but a definate financial input) and lots of determination to see the Job through. The problem is, that a few good people aside, those in High places dont want to do it.

I have seen at close hand the work done by 'Fans' who have put in an awfull lot of their own Time and Money and acheived a great deal with it (step forward the likes of Yanto and Der Kaiser ). No one asked these people to start the cycle of Development off, they didnt have to get involved or give a Damn, but they have and i belive they deserve a hell of a lot of praise and assistance for it.

Just Imagine residing in another Country where there is No League presence or History and setting it up from Nothing that the Game is played there, Clubs are formed and Internationals played. Sure it will take more time and effort (and Money) to build on this, but our Game as a Whole will benefit in the end.

More Countries playing (whether the standard of Australia or just finding their feet) equats to more Credibility, More Sponsorship, More Games, Higher profiles (everyone loves their National Team to do well, whatever level they are at) this filters into things like TV Revenue, we can sell these rights on (something League is currently very Poor at doing). How many Union Nations play at the level of a local Park Team and in front of one man and his Dog, but they are included and showed as Evidence of the strength of their Game.

Even though not played in front of Crowds of 50 to 60 thousand folk, the Tri Nations this year will still yield a Profit (as it did last year) and it is more Money in the Coffers of the RFL, NRL and NZRL. Do these people not want more of this?????

Even in England we Know of the Strength of the Aussies Domestic Comp and State of Origin. But we still see Aussie after Aussie over here in the Summer at the Cricket or on Holiday with their Wallabies Jerseys on. A team not fit to clean the Boots of the Kangaroos. That is a Disgrace, the Kangaroos should be the Benchmark for Sport in Australia, if i was at the ARL i would be doing everything in my power to change that, Kids should be here in their Kangaroos Jerseys.

Any way, get out and Support the Internationals folks. Pack out the Anzac Test this year and give the ARL something to think about. We shall get there, but it will take a little bit more time. That we have plenty of.

hutch

First Grade
Weasels Ripped My Flesh said:
International RL is growing alot faster in the past 2 years then it had then previous 10 to that

true! the top 3 play in a succesful tri nationals tournament which has brought interest, money and respect back to international rugby league. france have been playing a fair amount of tests (or games more specifically, because of the stupid situation of most countries playing the game not being regarded as test nations), more needs to be done by england/great britain though, they cannot continue to ignore them.
apart from this, it is great the we have the auropean cup, although i feel it should be taken more seriously, and mid season.

the tonga/samoa game was a joke. it was a one off, players were all from aus or nz. i know for a fact from speaking to a couple of guys i know who played that they didnt know if they were still eligable for australia or origin (which they shouldnt be), they just played because they were asked. the game should have been played in the islands with teams of players committed to these countries for life.

we cannot keep ignoring png. they havnt played a proper test in years. why cant they play the other pi nations, or new zealand during origin time.

we need an international schedule, a proper international board, better tv deal for internationals, more games outside the big 3, better press coverage and the clubs not being so selfish.

but we are definately in a better position than 5 years ago.

Woods99

Juniors
You guys need to learn a little history. International rugby league was strong back in the era from the fifties through to the seventies. So whatever progress has been made in the last two years needs to be put in that context: the international game had virtually died. It would not be a great step forward to improve on near-death.

If you were interested, I could explain what league has to do to enhance its international standing, but I have found that most league supporters would prefer to live either in the past (living off past glories) or in the future (dreaming of what might happen) rather than living in the present.:(

Jamaica RLA

Juniors
In developing the game here in Jamaica we belive that establishing strong community based clubs has been the key to our success so far. If we want a strong international game it is vital that the big nations help in a practicle way in the development of new countries.
If this happens those nations will soon require the opportunity to test and display themselves on the international stage. First within their regions and later further afield. However, such as with the West Indies and USA we need to be considered as more than just an afterthought when it comes to World Cup etc.
You can follow our progress at www.jrla.net

GBT2

Juniors
Woods99 said:
You guys need to learn a little history. International rugby league was strong back in the era from the fifties through to the seventies. So whatever progress has been made in the last two years needs to be put in that context: the international game had virtually died. It would not be a great step forward to improve on near-death.

If you were interested, I could explain what league has to do to enhance its international standing, but I have found that most league supporters would prefer to live either in the past (living off past glories) or in the future (dreaming of what might happen) rather than living in the present.:(

You need to learn a little history, and not just the quarter century you refer to, but 100+ years.

Talking about past present and future, you have no choice. Try living in the past, or future and send me a postcard.:?

dubby

Bench
Woods99 said:

Ha! It wasn't that long ago you courdaroy jacket wearing fools were lucky to pack out concorde park...

Misty Bee

First Grade
I was concerned when David Gallop went to the IRL meeting. Gallop represents a News Ltd run comp in Australia, and has no intrest in international league, apart from whatever his personal desires are.

And I think that's the key. Something has to be co-ordinated by someone with control over the ENTIRE game.

Having said that, I'm rapt to see a Jamaican post about RL in his country. That's fantastic!

We have recently seen Union and now Soccer try to elbow RLin Oz out of the way by ramping up their 'international' schedules. ON the ground, it makes no difference. So you need to start from the ground up. Lost of little, unseen things need to happen, rather than employ John O'Neill and let him run loose in the press.

Woods99

Juniors
dubby said:
Ha! It wasn't that long ago you courdaroy jacket wearing fools were lucky to pack out concorde park...

Dubby,

That is exactly the point. Rugby union in Australia now packs out much bigger venues, both for provincial games (Super 14) and Test matches. The trend in growth for rugby union over the past 20 years, and especially since the game went professional, is absolutely phenomenol.

Woods99

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
I was concerned when David Gallop went to the IRL meeting. Gallop represents a News Ltd run comp in Australia, and has no intrest in international league, apart from whatever his personal desires are.

And I think that's the key. Something has to be co-ordinated by someone with control over the ENTIRE game.

Having said that, I'm rapt to see a Jamaican post about RL in his country. That's fantastic!

We have recently seen Union and now Soccer try to elbow RLin Oz out of the way by ramping up their 'international' schedules. ON the ground, it makes no difference. So you need to start from the ground up. Lost of little, unseen things need to happen, rather than employ John O'Neill and let him run loose in the press.

Rugby union in Australia has had a significant international schedule ever since I can remember. The difference now is that the international schedule has been augmented by a provincial championship, and both the internationals and the provincial games get big crowds.

Why would the NRL give up any of its power to help international rugby league? The NRL is the only serious league competition in the world. Bartercard means zilch in playing terms (how many Bartercard players in the current NZ team?) and ESL is not much better, judging by the Tri-Nations result. Third out of three for England, playing on their home soil.

Doesn't look good. Maybe Jamaica will have a competitive international side eventually. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting, if I were you.:)

screeny

Bench
Misty Bee, Gallop is the secretary general of the RLIF, so he has to be at the meetings. Whether the NRL CEO should hold this position is another thing entirely......