What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harliquins - RU fans seem keen!

Sun_Down

Juniors
http://www.sportnetwork.net/boards/read/s98.php?f=100&i=127171&t=127171&sid=98

Check that out, most guys have said theyre going to at least check it out. All of them have a positive attitude, with the exception of one, but it appears as though all the Harliquin fans are going to support the RL team or at least come to a game. I didnt really expect such a positive reaction from those blokes. Keep in mind, these would be big time RU boys, so it looks very promising for the average Harliquin fan to check out their RL team aswell.

Great news.

I would also suggest the same would happen the other way, so everyone is a winner. :)

Jackal Dog

Juniors
I don't think everyone is quite aware of the full situation the London Broncos have basically been "taken over" and I have no doubt the Harlerquins intends to bleed them dry, in case you didn't know the Harlequins RU side have been relegated to the 2nd Division in the RU and is in desperate need of fresh young players if I were a London RL supporter I woud be very worried about the likes of Mclinden and Leulai.

Sun_Down

Juniors
They have already stated that there will be no sharing of players or coaching staff. Just facilities.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
And they never go back on their word, do they.
Also why don't they call them London Harlequins instead of Harlequins RL?

Big Bunny

Juniors
Phoney MX said:
I don't think everyone is quite aware of the full situation the London Broncos have basically been "taken over" and I have no doubt the Harlerquins intends to bleed them dry, in case you didn't know the Harlequins RU side have been relegated to the 2nd Division in the RU and is in desperate need of fresh young players if I were a London RL supporter I woud be very worried about the likes of Mclinden and Leulai.

Maybe you should do some more reading on the matter because you've made a number of considerable errors in your understanding of the situation. The only things being shared are the Harlequins name, offices and the stadium, they are still two separate clubs without financial ties to each other. There might be a takeover in the future, but right now the only gains that the union team will be making is from having their ground in use all year round.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Big Bunny said:
Maybe you should do some more reading on the matter because you've made a number of considerable errors in your understanding of the situation. The only things being shared are the Harlequins name, offices and the stadium, they are still two separate clubs without financial ties to each other. There might be a takeover in the future, but right now the only gains that the union team will be making is from having their ground in use all year round.

Yes well I'm basing my points on what I have heard from London fans and I can't understand why such a well reknowned and prestigous side as the Quins would partner a traditionally small time and struggling club like London there is no denying that the Quins are definately the "bigger brother" of the two they are far more popular and wealthy and you are corret in that I don't think a takeover will come immediatley but I would be cautious down the track.

bender

Juniors
Phoney MX said:
Yes well I'm basing my points on what I have heard from London fans and I can't understand why such a well reknowned and prestigous side as the Quins would partner a traditionally small time and struggling club like London there is no denying that the Quins are definately the "bigger brother" of the two they are far more popular and wealthy and you are corret in that I don't think a takeover will come immediatley but I would be cautious down the track.

They might very well be well reknowned and prestigous, but they are also a second division side.

Incidentally, Maybe some of their union stars (to be honest i dont know if thye have any) will play for the Harlequins RL, while they wait a year for the side to return to the first division.

Big Bunny

Juniors
It's money, pure and simple. Quins will make money out of having the Broncos at their stadium and it makes better sense to partner the Broncos, giving their fans all year round rugby and duel code deals and making sure their brand is the best known in Europe.

The only thing I don't like about the deal is the Broncos having to take on that ugly bloody jersey and mascot. Fair dinkum there's no combination worse in the world.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
bender said:
Incidentally, Maybe some of their union stars (to be honest i dont know if thye have any) will play for the Harlequins RL, while they wait a year for the side to return to the first division.

As much as I would like to see the likes of Andrew Mertens and Andre Vos play in the ESL (not Will Greenwood!) I severly doubt that this will happen English Rugby players play too much as it is (something like 40 games a year?) and they are always looking at ways to shorten this.

bender

Juniors
Phoney MX said:
As much as I would like to see the likes of Andrew Mertens and Andre Vos play in the ESL (not Will Greenwood!) I severly doubt that this will happen English Rugby players play too much as it is (something like 40 games a year?) and they are always looking at ways to shorten this.

I was thinking along the lines of some of the Harlequins players skipping the majority of the union season and supplementing their income loss with the RL club in the summer. Unlikely i know, but i doubt Harlequins would want to pay all of their star players to play second division for a year, and this might be an alternate to losing them to another union club. Saying that, i dont know who plays for Harlequins. Does Mehrtens and Vos? I thought Mehrtens was an all black, has he left these shores?

terracesider

Juniors
From the Harlequins website.

Ultimately, both clubs go into this partnership with the intent that they will be one club playing both codes of rugby.
The partnership is based on an initial five year period, but it is expected that at the end of this that the two clubs will solidify the relationship further.

http://www.quins.co.uk/sub_newsview.ink?nid=10856

It is about money, Big Bunny. I'd bet a large sum that Quins will have no commitment to RL and will just regard it as a means to the end of generating revenue streams to finance their return to, and eventual success in, Union's top flight.

bartman

Immortal
It seems like a win/win situation for both "clubs"? They're sure selling it that way, but I'm sure behind closed doors they are both aware of exactly how much they are simply using each other to reach their own goals/financial considerations.

Broncos get to reduce their expenditure on rent and facilities in return for adopting a new name and jersey... they were insolvent earlier in the year, so that's got to be an improvement compared to professional league not existing at all in the capital?

So if it works OK during the next 3-5 years, good on 'em. More a survival strategy rather than a daring move with hopes of great dreams coming true imo...