What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

Panther_Daz

Staff member
The club is very excited about next year's Harold Matts team. Many of which are in the CCC team.

Kerr, Soni, Metuangaro and Maroun all played plenty of games in Matts this year.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Daz

You asked about Jack a little while ago.
Teen makes dynamite debut file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Paul/Desktop/teen-makes-dynamite-debut.htm#

July 24, 2013, 9:36 a.m.
STANDOUT: 17-year-old Jack Hetherington’s debut in first grade on the weekend against was the best captain-coach Luke Branighan has seen for a teenager.

UNVEILING a potential NRL star, Young finally got a huge “reward” for effort by stunning Kangaroos at Alfred Oval yesterday.

On a day when schoolboy Jack Hetherington made a sensational debut in first grade, Young overpowered Kangaroos 28-18 in a major Group Nine upset. The same team that beat the ‘Pickers 60-nil in round three.
After leading 24-12 at halftime, the Cherrypickers held the Wagga side to one try in the second half to storm to only their second win of the season.
In defeat,

For Young captain-coach Luke Branighan, yesterday’s success marked a minor milestone for the 10th-placed team.
Revelling in the deeds of a group of youthful players in the team, Branighan said the Cherrypickers were a team rapidly on the rise.
“We really should be higher on the table,” Branighan said.
“We’ve been in every game bar two and have had some of the top teams under the pump, but just haven’t been able to produce an 80-minute performance.
“Today we did.
“The boys aimed up in defence and we finally got the reward for some of their effort.”
Amid rave reviews for Hetherington, Branighan declared the 17-year-old “had what it takes”.
“It was one of the best debuts for a 17-year-old I’ve seen,” he said.
“If he keeps his head, and I think he will, I’m sure he can make it in the NRL in four or five years.”
Despite backing up after playing in Young’s under-18 Weissel Cup team earlier in the day, Hetherington turned in a slashing performance in the centres for the Cherrypickers.
Along with playmaker Branighan, Hetherington was a shining light in the Young backline, while prop Saul Lealeaitafea and back-rower Jake Dawe were the standouts in the pack.
As Young celebrated, Branighan refused to put the boot into struggling Roos.
“The score didn’t reflect how tight the game was,” he said.
“We got the jump, but hit a flat spot in the second half and Roos, to their credit, came back.”
Dynamic hooker Glenn Dumbrell was again Roos’ best player, but few others really shone.
Branighan is adamant Young is a club with a bounty of youthful talent.
“The team was stacked with 17-year-olds, but that’s the norm,” he said.

ashton

Juniors
I believe we have signed a 14/15 year old indigenous half from Condobilin. Jesse Wighton who made the NSWCHS under 15 side this year. I think he may play Harold Matthews in 2014.

Last edited:

ashton

Juniors
St Clair Junior Rugby League players selected for NSW Aboriginal under-16 squad

• by: Ryan Lipman
  • February 05, 2014 11:00AM

369729-025596ae-8df5-11e3-9b83-3f04878d821a.jpg

Jesse Abbott, Vondel Williams-Liolevava and Jake Gillett are excited about the upcoming match against the Murri side during the Festival of Indigenous Rugby League. Source: Supplied

THREE St Clair Junior Rugby League players have been selected for the NSW Aboriginal under-16 squad.

The side is in Newcastle this week, preparing for its clash against the Murri side on Saturday.
    Jesse Abbott, Jake Gillett and Vondel Williams-Liolevava are taking part in the NRL's week-long Festival of Indigenous Rugby League.
    It features a trial match between the Newcastle Knights and a non-elite Indigenous team, a jobs expo and community visits.
    Jesse, of St Marys, said it was great to be a part of it.
    "It's amazing getting to represent my culture - I couldn't ask for much more than that," he said.
    He said it was an advantage having some familiar players in the team and he looked forward to Saturday's clash. After competing at a top 40 camp, all players trialled for the final squad.
    Jake, of Colyton, made the camp last year, but missed out on squad selection.
    "I was hopeful I would make it this time," he said.
    Vondel, from Blacktown, said it was a privilege to make the team and he looked forward to playing with boys from across the state. "Some of the boys are from my area, some people I've never met so it's pretty exciting," he said

ashton

Juniors
I believe we have signed a 14/15 year old indigenous half from Condobilin. Jesse Wighton who made the NSWCHS under 15 side this year. I think he may play Harold Matthews in 2014.

Jesse Wighton from Condobolin is also in the NSW under 16 indigenous side.
He is also in the Penrith Harold Matthews side this year.
I watched him play under 17 (two years above his age group 5/8 good prospect) @ the Koori carnival last year.
I also watched Vondel Williams-Liolevava and Jake Gillet (both second rowers) at the Koori carnival playing under 15. (both very talented)

Last edited:

murraymob

Coach
round 1 results....Harold Mathews
tries
Penrith 36
John Kaufusi-Sikei ......... 2
Vondel Williams-liolevave....2
Jesse Abott..................1
Keiran....Hayman.............1
Raymond Maroun...........1

Goals
Keiran Hayman...........4

beat Parramatta 0

S.G.Ball
Penrith 27
Tries
Nathen Cleary..........................1
Fuimanu Enese.......................1
Cowan Epere.........................1
Thompson .Luamath.Tuigamala....1

Goals
Nathen Cleary.................5

Feild Goals
Soni Luke

beat parramatta 12

murraymob

Coach
Round 2 results
Harold Matts
Pernrith...14
Tries
M...Soni...........1
Sam Radavu....1
Goals
Keiran Hayman...3

beat
bulldogs 10

S.G.Ball
Penrith..36
Robert Jennings..........2
Soni Luke..................1
Joe Vaegaau...........1
Jake Enis..................1
Cowan Epere............1

Goals
Nathen Cleary.............6

drew with bulldogs 36

GongPanther

Referee
Round 2 results
Harold Matts
Pernrith...14
Tries
M...Soni...........1
Sam Radavu....1
Goals
Keiran Hayman...3

beat
bulldogs 10

S.G.Ball
Penrith..36
Robert Jennings..........2
Soni Luke..................1
Joe Vaegaau...........1
Jake Enis..................1
Cowan Epere............1

Goals
Nathen Cleary.............6

drew with bulldogs 36

Video of SG Ball win from the 1st Rnd.

Where you see NRL videos,click on the juniors tag.

BTW,the vids for some reason are of very poor quality,but still barely watchable.

http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=multimedia

ashton

Juniors
Kalani Pewhairangi Charlie a 17 year old front rower from New Zealand has signed with Penrith.

More players to come.

ashton

Juniors
16 year old Sabastin Rapana a centre from NZ has signed a 3 year contract with Penrith. More to come

ashton

Juniors
I have known about this kid for about 8 weeks. I can now confirm Penrith have signed 15 year old Hayze Perham a 5/8 from NZ. He was discovered by Mark Hughes He was recently vote player of the carnival at they NZ championship.. Outstanding talent.

Last edited: