What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harrigan Dropped!

El Duque

Bench
Yayyyyyyy

from www.nrl.com

<table cellspacing=5 cellpadding=0 width="100%" align=center border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td>HARRIGAN DROPPED FROM ROUND 18 MATCHES</td></tr> <tr> <td>8 July 2002
billharrigan.jpg
National Rugby League Referees Coach, Mr Peter Louis, has informed referee Bill Harrigan he will not be considered for matches in round 18 of the Telstra Premiership. Mr Harrigan was told that he has been dropped following his handling of the Parramatta versus Newcastle match at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Friday night.&lt;SHIELD src='virtual="/s2002/include/adstorycodeinc.asp"'> language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://ad2.pamedia.com.au/js.ng/site=nrl&amp;section=news&amp;position=island&amp;adsize=300x250&amp;transactionID=68589760">&lt;/SCRIPT>
spacer.gif
&lt;NOSCRIPT> &lt;/NOSCRIPT>&lt;/SHIELD> The NRL Referees' coaching staff reviewed video of the match today in which there were four second half "sin-binnings". In endorsing strong action from referees, where appropriate, the NRL continues to insist that referees must be accountable for their decisions on the field. "We made it clear after the match that there will be times where a referee should take strong action and be supported," Mr Louis said. "In examining tapes today there are certainly issues within the match that required such action but there is also a clear view that towards the end of the game there were some options taken that could have been handled differently. "Although Bill remains the leading referee in the game, he like any other referee must have his performances assessed and be answerable for his decisions. "It gives no pleasure whatsoever for us to reach this decision but I have informed Bill that as a direct result of Friday night, he will not be refereeing next weekend. "I retain my confidence in Bill and in the rest of the refereeing squad." The decision of the referees' coaches was discussed with both the Chief Executive and Chief Operating Officer today. "It's fair to say that there has been a pretty thorough review of all aspects of the match," ARL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today. "This is not an issue that anyone gets any joy out of but it reflects the fact that officials are human and can make mistakes, just as players can make mistakes. "There is no doubt that in this match there were some costly options which left Parramatta with only ten men on the field at one stage "I'm sure Bill will come back in a couple of weeks and confirm his well earned status in the game."</td></tr></tbody></table>

imported_justme

Juniors
Why only for one round? The twit should have been fined for his comments on coaching and sacked for his stated interest in switching to union.

Bah, there weak as piss but God help you guys next time you get him El. Bill holds long term grudges asthe Dragons can testify.

I wonder what all those twits who were saying Bill was even handed and that it was only the Eels at faultwill have to say now.

El Duque

Bench
I can see Billy doing an Oliver McCall next time the pressure gets too much.

Have you seen Lewis-McCall II??

El Duque

Bench
Well Oliver McCall KO'd Lewis in 2 in the first fight but in the re-match McCall had a nervous breakdown and started walking around the ring crying with his hands down and not defending himself.Lewis kept hitting him too.
McCall was a noted crack pot.
I can see Billy wandering around a footy field crying if it gets a bit too much for him.

imported_justme

Juniors
LOL, yeah El, Billy is not that far off cracking. What did you think of Smith;s article in the Australian, I thought he really made Harrigan look a dill for trying to prejudge his game plan. :p

El Duque

Bench
The article was a good laugh and very well thought out.I'm not that big a Smith fan but that was definetley the better way to go rather than just going off after the game and copping a fine.
He let Harrigan goo off all w/e and give him enough ammo come monday to make him look like a right proper fool.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Pissing in the wind? Probably.

This is like sending amisbehaved child to his room to contemplate his actions. It means very little without a smack on the backside as well.

Harriganshould have been fined $10K for bringing the game into disrepute as well asa suspension.

I know it only represents one less hair brush for Bill but maybe then he'd get the message.

O

ozbash

the eels should have walked after the 4th binning,this decision would vindicate them...

I loved that letter to Bill in the Australian. Although I still think a few more truths could have been hammered home but hey, at least Smith fired off a few rounds even if it was from behind a grassy knoll.. with a silencer. Harrigan just goes to show give any fool a peice of rope &amp; he'll think he's a cowboy.

HappyRock001

Juniors
I think he will do like the Queenslanders did to him after the first state of origin and crack under pressure and the Eels will be sure to win next time they get him which Im sure was suppossed to be this coming weekend if I heard Brian Smith right.

imported_Pugs

Juniors
Being a Parra man, I totally agree with the league dropping Harragan. As sterlo said during the game that he was only ref'ing 1 side. Billy did go overboard and recked a good game of league. I have no doubt that 13 on 13 , parra win the game. But maybe harragan has done Parra a favour. I saw somethings in the Parra team that I have rarely seen this year being Guts, determination, pride passion and a will to win. Any of the lower teams in the competition would have &quot;turned it up&quot; playing 10 on 13 and the knights would have turned on a cricket score. But not Parra. This just maybe the turnaround factor that sparks Parra at the right end of the season. Bring it Parra !!! Bring it on !!!

imported_midas

Juniors
The problem now is that when Harrigan returns in the next round,he will get more media attention than any game played that weekend.which will mean he will be more convinced than ever that he is the biggest attraction in Rugby League.The only solutions are either for the media to ignore him (won,t happen any time soon) or to get rid of the clown (won,t happen either).Until the NRL come to grips with reality(won,t happen ever),I guess we are stuck with the Human Headline.

Latest posts