What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anything changed?

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I, remarkably, found this article saved on some backup files of mine. Don't know why I saved it. It's interesting now, especially given the benefit of hindsight.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BARRETT READY FOR OCTOBER SPEECH 4 March 2002

St George Illawarra captain Trent Barrett is the first to admit he's not one for speeches. But if the Dragons play to their potential this season, Barrett may be forced to face his demons in front of 100,000 people in early October.
Despite a mass exodus of experienced hardheads in the off-season, St George Illawarra heads into this season with as much talent as any side in the National Rugby League.
The backline boasts three Kangaroo tourists - Barrett, Mark Gasnier and Nathan Blacklock - as well as former Test centre Shaun Timmins, back after almost two years out with a knee injury.
And the forward pack, so often the club's Achilles heel in recent seasons, is filled with a group of 20-somethings bursting out of their skin to win a premiership.
It's a mouth-watering combination for Dragons fans, who have endured flashes of brilliance from their side in recent seasons without matching the heights of 1999, when the club went within three minutes of a title.
"I think we're going to have a good year," Barrett said.
"Our goal is to make the top four and I think we're capable of doing it.
"We have a lot of young blokes this year, as well as a few new players.
"I guess it's brought a lot of enthusiasm to the club. It shows at training.
"I think blokes are willing to do things for each other."
The Dragons lost a handful of experienced hardheads in the off-season, including New Zealand prop Craig Smith and NSW winger Jamie Ainscough to English glamour club Wigan and centre Paul McGregor to retirement.
Smith's decision to leave was the biggest blow, despite the aggressive Kiwi spending most of his controversial last season on the sideline engaged in a running battle with referees and the judiciary.
His absence means that Jason Ryles and Luke Bailey have to step up and assume the workload, while youngsters Brent Kite and Justin Smith will need to take some pressure off Lance Thompson in the second row.
Bailey has already admitted the Dragons pack needs to shake off the "soft" tag, while Ryles showed on the Kangaroo tour he was no shrinking violet when it came to the tough stuff.
"Jason Ryles is more than ready to do that. You saw that over in the Test we played against Great Britain," Barrett said.
"I think Luke Bailey has been there before and had a bad injury last year.
"We (also) have a lot of good young players who are there and willing and ready to make their mark on the competition."
But the Dragons' season will once again ride on the form of Barrett, who has comfortably slipped into the Test No.6 jersey worn by such luminaries as Brad Fittler, Laurie Daley, Brett Kenny and Wally Lewis in recent seasons.
There seems little doubt Barrett will one day join them in the pantheon of greats, but first he must negotiate a new pressure - captaincy.
Barrett, who wore the captaincy armband in Smith's absence last year, will start this season as the undisputed leader of the Dragons pack.
"It's a bit of a challenge and something I have aspired to do for a while," he said.
"It's something that should be pretty easy. I don't think it's a burden and I'm looking forward to it.
"I guess you just have to lead from the front more.
"I'm not one for big speeches or talking too much. I enjoy the job and it's easy when I have a team of really young blokes who want to have a go.
"I'm really looking forward to the season. I'm excited."

Godz Illa

Coach
Do you think the various media outlets just cut an paste the same story every March? Maybe changing the odd name or two?
However, next year, I think we can actually do it. lol

alive103

Juniors
I don't see the problem.... The Face gets talked up every year only to let his fans and vocal critics down. He lets his fans down by playing like shit for the majority of games he plays and he lets his critics down by only play 14 out of 25 games consequently not allowing them to get into a rhythmic pattern of bagging.

Long live Santa.... 3 months until Christmas Eve!

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Lol God Zilla, I'm a Saints fan mate, and I was taking the piss out of us all!

Didn't mean to offend, but I thought the sarcasm was more recognisable.

I got it Drew ;-)

Perhaps we should try some reverse psychology... WE'LL BE WORSE NEXT YEAR... don't quote me on that :p

No matter what country you're in, no matter what Football code you support, so many of us say the same thing... "next year will be our year". :)

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Haha I know what you mean ay, anything to try and get the team to win! You never know, reverse psychology could be the key! :mrgreen:

I think you're right too, every year, every clubs (bar one) supporters comforts themselves with the age old saying: Next year. :lol: