What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne~NFL~RU~Tits~Eels~Dad~Jailed~Mistrial~Jailed 5yrs~Retrial~Jailed~Appeal

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Well going by all the pro BA apologists, BA isn’t the problem because he proved in 16/17 he can coach. So the only 1 variable from those years is AFL merkin. He’s the major change since we were winning. And the way we’ve played backs that up. We look slower, unfit, smaller and weaker. Plus we no longer know how to wrestle.

What about the loss of Pete Gentle, and no one announced until Kidwell or the loss of O'Farrell with no one announced at all?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Surely you can’t argue that the Hayne article is not a slap in the face to the person employed to look after the strength and conditioning of the club, however inadvertent it may be?

Well I mean you could. In the article it was stated "So we came up with a good program". Who was involved in this decision? Was it just Hayne and Arthur? It doesn't explicitly state. I guess it all depends on your "agenda" and your own bias when reading the article, you read the article and assume that it was only BA and Hayne, someone else reads the article and assumes BA, Hayne and Wilmot. And then someone else could read it and assume that Wilmot and BA came up with it and run it by Hayne. For all we know Adrian Jimenez came up with the program.

I'm not calling it one way or another but without it explicitly stating that only BA and Hayne were exclusively involved in the decision we can't really come up with a definite conclusion. I mean it would have to be at least run by everyone on the coaching staff so that when Hayne, or anyone else, is doing a modified program the staff aren't taken by surprise.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Well I mean you could. In the article it was stated "So we came up with a good program". Who was involved in this decision? Was it just Hayne and Arthur? It doesn't explicitly state. I guess it all depends on your "agenda" and your own bias when reading the article, you read the article and assume that it was only BA and Hayne, someone else reads the article and assumes BA, Hayne and Wilmot. And then someone else could read it and assume that Wilmot and BA came up with it and run it by Hayne. For all we know Adrian Jimenez came up with the program.

I'm not calling it one way or another but without it explicitly stating that only BA and Hayne were exclusively involved in the decision we can't really come up with a definite conclusion. I mean it would have to be at least run by everyone on the coaching staff so that when Hayne, or anyone else, is doing a modified program the staff aren't taken by surprise.
It’s not so much the program that has been designed for Hayne as I’m sure Wilmot had some input into it.

It’s more the fact a player had to raise the issue that he wanted to be lighter, the coach wanted him to be lighter but our seemingly generic weights program (as opposed to an individualised plan) was counterproductive to him losing weight. According to quotes from the man himself, It has only been since this was brought up by Hayne that a change was made. That is absurd!!

Only speculation but it raises questions whether perhaps others have also lost confidence in the strength and conditioning training currently employed at the club.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Anecdotally, I'd say our seemingly generic weights program hasn't been designed around players gaining weight, and if it was, it hasn't worked all that well, given our obvious dearth of fat props.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Anecdotally, I'd say our seemingly generic weights program hasn't been designed around players gaining weight, and if it was, it hasn't worked all that well, given our obvious dearth of fat props.
Fair point, but if our bigger middles were on the same weights program as our outside backs it could be argued that the middles could get smaller and/or the outside backs could get bigger.

Keep in mind the base Hayne came from at the start of his preseason.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
“I wanted to be lighter and Brad wanted me to be lighter. I said ‘you can’t be lifting weights and wanting to be light’. So we have figured out a good program.”

So now it’s up to our own players to develop their own strength and conditioning program. What is it exactly, are we paying the AFL merkin to do?

If that’s not a slap in the face of your head of performance I don’t know what is.

I doubt the reference to “we” means BA and Hayne went for coffee and put a program together.

I suspect he was just chatting to BA during their regular review and his weight was mentioned, so they decided to get the trainers to modify his program.

I reckon to much is being read into it. Additionally an in earlier Evans interview he said he wanted to put on some weight so I am pretty sure the training staff wouId have been helping him with a modified program.

Noise

Coach

The issue is (was) that there wasn’t an individualized Weight’s program that suited each player. It’s not the 1980s.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Fair point, but if our bigger middles were on the same weights program as our outside backs it could be argued that the middles could get smaller and/or the outside backs could get bigger.

Keep in mind the base Hayne came from at the start of his preseason.

Well, then it just boils down to KFC intake, as you aint building mass outta fresh air.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I doubt the reference to “we” means BA and Hayne went for coffee and put a program together.

I suspect he was just chatting to BA during their regular review and his weight was mentioned, so they decided to get the trainers to modify his program.

I reckon to much is being read into it. Additionally an in earlier Evans interview he said he wanted to put on some weight so I am pretty sure the training staff wouId have been helping him with a modified program.
Read above. It’s not about who came up with this modified program. It’s more about why it was needed in the first place and the fact we have a “basic weights training that everyone does”.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Sounds like training is fairly specific:

“Murphy says emulating a high level training program starts with honing on your individual goals for the season.

“You have to think about what’s best or what’s conducive to help the player,” he said.

“The player’s main aim is to get better every day and you’ve got to be able to provide resources to be able to do that.

“What I would suggest is quite simply making sure your training sessions are designed with a specific purpose in mind, and then whether you achieve that or not.””

“To ensure you’re achieving this purpose, Murphy says chasing feedback from your coaches is important.

“The players are very keen on getting feedback on what they’re doing, and if you can give them a reason why they’re doing these activities, and what you’re going to get from these activities then they’re more likely to buy in,” he said.

“Staff meet regularly, we meet every morning, those meetings are both before sessions and after sessions, looking at what worked well, what didn't, and what we can do in the future to make those sessions better or more efficient.””

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...res-how-to-train-like-the-parramatta-eels/amp

Happy MEel

First Grade
Well, then it just boils down to KFC intake, as you aint building mass outta fresh air.
I’ve got no comment in regards to Hayne’s or any of our team’s eating habits but the article states he has lost a kg of fat and a kg of muscle so it’s not all KFC intake.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Sounds like training is fairly specific:

“Murphy says emulating a high level training program starts with honing on your individual goals for the season.

“You have to think about what’s best or what’s conducive to help the player,” he said.

“The player’s main aim is to get better every day and you’ve got to be able to provide resources to be able to do that.

“What I would suggest is quite simply making sure your training sessions are designed with a specific purpose in mind, and then whether you achieve that or not.””

“To ensure you’re achieving this purpose, Murphy says chasing feedback from your coaches is important.

“The players are very keen on getting feedback on what they’re doing, and if you can give them a reason why they’re doing these activities, and what you’re going to get from these activities then they’re more likely to buy in,” he said.

“Staff meet regularly, we meet every morning, those meetings are both before sessions and after sessions, looking at what worked well, what didn't, and what we can do in the future to make those sessions better or more efficient.””

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...res-how-to-train-like-the-parramatta-eels/amp
Murphy doesn’t look after strength and conditioning, he looks after field work.

Additionally, a coach has a vested interest in talking up his coaching techniques. I’d argue a players analysis of what actually happens is a more objective perspective of what is happening.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Read above. It’s not about who came up with this modified program. It’s more about why it was needed in the first place and the fact we have a “basic weights training that everyone does”.

That’s a quote from Hayne who isn’t exactly a rocket scientist. I reckon it’s just a generalisation that Hayne just made.

I really doubt each player would be in the same program.

Do you really think we wouId put our backs onto the same program as forwards who need different body shapes ?

I suspect there is probably a very general program used as a “base” and it’s then modified/added to for each player.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Staff member
I’ve got no comment in regards to Hayne’s or any of our team’s eating habits but the article states he has lost a kg of fat and a kg of muscle so it’s not all KFC intake.

I used KFC as euphemism

A weights program not paired to diet is a pretty poor way to attempt to change body shape.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I used KFC as euphemism

A weights program not paired to diet is a pretty poor way to attempt to change body shape.
No arguments here. However without any knowledge of each player’s (hopefully individualised) nutrition program it’s hard to make a call on that either way.

Gronk

Staff member
It’s speculation-a-thon this morning.

How about Hayne is poorly disciplined and rarely sticks to instructions, doesn’t do extras and never sticks to personalised diets. AFL guy and BA sat down with him to try and work out why he was putting on weight, when the rest of the players were not.

Maybe since the intervention they put him of a trainng program to suit a player who is lazy (ie, they gave up on him) and maybe Hayne has actually stuck to a diet for once ?

Hey, I’m just throwing darts like the rest of you lot. :dart: :rolleyes:

Happy MEel

First Grade
That’s a quote from Hayne who isn’t exactly a rocket scientist. I reckon it’s just generalisation that Hayne just made.

I really doubt each player would be in the same program.

Do you really think we wouId put our backs onto the same program as forwards who need different body shapes ?

I suspect there is probably a very general program used as a “base” and it’s then modified/added to for each player.
You seem to have more faith than I do in our strength and conditioning. That’s cool we’re all entitled to our own opinions.

I base my judgement on watching our team’s performance physically throughout the season, but particularly earlier on straight out of the preseason, some comments I’ve received from someone who has achieved plenty of success in this space in an NRL setting and now Hayne’s comments.

Happy MEel

First Grade
It’s speculation-a-thon this morning.

How about Hayne is poorly disciplined and rarely sticks to instructions, doesn’t do extras and never sticks to personalised diets. AFL guy and BA sat down with him to try and work out why he was putting on weight, when the rest of the players were not.

Maybe since the intervention they put him of a trainng program to suit a player who is lazy (ie, they gave up on him) and maybe Hayne has actually stuck to a diet for once ?

Hey, I’m just throwing darts like the rest of you lot. :dart: :rolleyes:
...and you’re entitled to speculate as much as the rest of us. No need to get your knickers in a knot.

Latest posts