What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here we go.......again.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Seems like it Coastal. Looks like the Sharks have broken the cardinal rule about shitting in there own nest.

At least Manly took it to the beach

RUBIKS

Juniors
Thanks to Elkin and the Board - the Sharks and it's players are all ASADA and the Government need to say I told you so.

They don't need any more scalps and I doubt very much that they will go looking for any.

Sad times but the poor ol' Sharkies have done it again.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Im wondering wether the lads were actually trying to do the right thing. Pure speculation here but perhaps the players had elected to keep the club informed about what they believed to be a completely above board activity. Good on em for taking that approach. Other players at other clubs may have elected to do otherwise and those clubs may be clear as a result, hence the players not the club are being targeted.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/cash-offer-to-silence-ex-shark/story-e6frexnr-1226601945581

IN the midst of the 2010 salary cap scandal, Storm players copped abuse at away venues. Having been made the poster boys for the ASADA investigation, Cronulla players and staff can expect some of the same if Monday night's reception from Souths fans is anything to go by.

A Sharks coach told us the abuse from Rabbitohs diehards was feral and unforgiving. "It was disgusting," he said. "They were telling us to jab needles in our arms and all sorts of things. I lost a lot of respect for their fan base."

not sure if this was posted elsewhere

if this doesn't start the mother of all rivalries

can't believe i once supported their inclusion back into the competition, low life scum bags

Frenzy.

Immortal
I'm still interested to know who blew the whistle on Elkin before he took his substantial assistance deal and turned dog.

I find it hard to believe he simply woke up one morning and decided to spill the beans on the Sharks.

Phone taps? More whistle blowers?

I've wondered the same thing Capn.

In my experience, informants must be cultivated either by promise of a reward or the holding of a penalty over the informant's head. The other motivation is revenge - either their own or as an agenda pushed by a third party.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Yes. I'm also intrigued as to how his name, as a supposedly confidential informant, was leaked/released.

Frenzy.

Immortal
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...ichard-ings-not-surprised-by-asadas-findings/

The NRL and ASADA announced yesterday 31 NRL players have been issued formal notices and will be required to be interviewed by ASADA.

The former chief executive of ASADA between 2006-2010, Richard Ings, told Triple M's Grill Team he was not surprised by ASADA's findings.

"There was a lot of smoke around these issues. We now know the focus is really on just one club, which [NRL bosses David Smith and John Grant alleged] is Cronulla, and 31 players who can help with the investigation," he said.

It's been alleged individual players have gone out and sourced illegal substances whether it's peptides or illegal hormones. What will be some of the questions they will be asked?

"There will be two types of questions. ASADA certainly has some evidence already from the [Australian] Crime Commission report, I think they've got phone taps, purchase receipts and credit card statements. They'll be tabling that evidence with those players," he said.

"And the second thing will be asking other players 'have they seen anything?, do they know anything? Are they aware of anything with regards to this matter?'."

To protect the innocent, Triple M's Mark Geyer asked why can't these 31 players be named?

"If you're a player with an allegation against you I don't think you'd want your name bandied right through the media.

"This is meant to be kept confidential. By law it must be confidential and they're innocent these players until the evidence determines otherwise."

Ings said if a player gets caught using banned substances they will face up to a two-year ban, while individuals found guilty of trafficking banned substances can face between four years to a lifetime ban from the sport.

If this is correct and they have so much evidence, then why has the investigation not proceeded to the next stage - prosecution. If they have so much evidence they do not need to conduct interviews. I still believe that they require more, not for the purpose of a ban but in case players appeal to the courts.

And if this is all true, you cannot tell me that this activity is confined to one club only! This contrary to some information that I was privy to.

It begs two questions:

Are we to be the sacrificial lambs?

We have never achieved greatness within footy, so why were we targeted?

webShark

Fox Sports News just reported Noakes was offered hush money not to offer any interviews after his sacking. One months salary! Such a paltry amount it was always going to get leaked. Another board masterstroke.

I knew the board was amatuerish but not to the extent they have shown since the ASADA press conference. Thankfully they are gonski. Done a lot of damage though.

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
Fox Sports News just reported Noakes was offered hush money not to offer any interviews after his sacking. One months salary! Such a paltry amount it was always going to get leaked. Another board masterstroke.

I knew the board was amatuerish but not to the extent they have shown since the ASADA press conference. Thankfully they are gonski. Done a lot of damage though.

Where's Phlanno??? Talk over the weekend was he would be back this week...since Monday there has been nothing.

carcharias

Immortal
CRONULLA Sharks have brought back Labor powerbroker Greg Holland onto their board of directors as ASADA intensified the heat of their investigations onto 31 players in the National Rugby League competition — including some who may have sourced performance-enhancing drugs outside their club programs after 2011.

The Sharks were forced to fill a casual vacancy on the board after Australian Rugby League development officer Paul Walker stepped down on Tuesday, thus jeopardising the continuing operations of the Sharks board.
At the same time, ASADA notified the rugby league commission and NRL yesterday that it would begin interviewing 31 players from next week, to run over four to six weeks.
The agency said it had moved its focus away from clubs and onto a player or groups of players who may have gone outside their club programs.
Although Cronulla Sharks had been singled out, NRL chief executive Dave Smith said ASADA had ‘‘squarely moved their investigations to players’’.
‘‘The focus is not on the clubs,’’ he said. ‘‘The NRL’s view is that no-one will be pre-judged, no players will be named and it doesn’t mean any players will be stood down.
‘‘It also doesn’t mean there are charges and the [ASADA] interviews don’t mean direct suspicion.’’
He said the NRL integrity unit would begin issuing notices to the 31 players in the next few days.
Smith said ASADA had not nominated any year it was investigating.
ARL Commission chairman John Grant stressed that without infraction notices, the league could not, and would not, stand down any player.
‘‘ASADA is looking for anti-doping violations,’’ Grant said. ‘‘If and when they have a case they refer it to the NRL, an infraction notice is then issued, a player is stood down and then case goes to the NRL Tribunal for determination.’’ Players also have several avenues of appeal, after that.
On Tuesday, the Sharks averted a board crisis by appointing former long-time director Greg Holland to replace Paul Walker.
With chairman Damian Irvine stepping down and directors Jim Barnett and Ricky Surace having quit already, the Sharks board had less than the seven board members needed under the constitution to continue operating.
‘‘I was happy to get the call to fill the vacancy,’’ said Holland from Canberra, where he was on family business.
The Sharks crisis also has cost the club the services of long-time director and vice-chairman Keith Ward, who announced the sackings of four staff and the standing down of coach Shane Flanagan in the absence of then chairman, Damian Irvine.
Ward won’t be standing for re-election at the Cronulla AGM next month, and fellow director Craig Douglas said the Sharks would be ‘‘poorer’’ for his decision.
‘‘Keith was a major contributor to this club, and especially instrumental in work on our [$300m property] development and getting it approved,’’ said Douglas, the chartered accountant who headed the board’s work on the development over many years.
Yesterday, the returning officer was re-checking the names of about 30 candidates for the board elections, with present directors Craig Douglas, new chairman Glenn Coleman, Peter Kerr and Phil Tiernan re-nominating, along with Greg Holland.
The reappointment of Sharks coach Shane Flanagan will depend on the findings of the independent review for the club by Grant Thornton International, now expected by the end of the week. Solicitors for the club will have to examine the report before making recommendations to the board, which may or may not happen before Sunday’s home game against the Warriors.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/1377171/drug-probe-moves-to-players/?cs=1255

webShark

Where's Phlanno??? Talk over the weekend was he would be back this week...since Monday there has been nothing.

I don't see him back before he is cleared by ASADA. They got rid too hastily and Cullen won't want to repeat it ,whilst there is any chance Flanno is implicated.

Frailty

First Grade

Please don't assume this is the case - the media a fools who sensationalise everything.

A payout at termination of a contract is normal, and furthermore we don't exactly know what the contract was detailing - usually its about passing on inside information.

If it were hush money, he would not have been paid the money without signing the contract,

Feej

First Grade
Please don't assume this is the case - the media a fools who sensationalise everything.

A payout at termination of a contract is normal, and furthermore we don't exactly know what the contract was detailing - usually its about passing on inside information.

If it were hush money, he would not have been paid the money without signing the contract,

So true - I took a forced redundancy a couple of years ago, and without signing a contract saying that I'd take no action etc, I would have received f**k all.

Last edited: