What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hervey Bay Seagull joins Manly Sea Eagles

gong_eagle

First Grade
Hervey Bay Seagull joins Manly Sea Eagles

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/story/2008/06/21/apn-flying/

Written by Carlie Walker

Seventeen-year-old Tyrone Hopgood has dreamt of playing in the NRL since he was a child, and now the Hervey bay Seagulls' second rower may have his chance to play at the highest level.
Tyrone has been signed up for two years to play for the Manly Sea Eagles under 20's side in the Toyota Cup and, if all goes well, he could soon be pulling on a first grade jersey for the maroon and whites.
"It has always been something I've dreamt of doing" he said
"I've been playing football with the Seagulls since I was five and I really enjoy it"
Tyrone's Mum Anita, went with him when he met with the talent scout who signed him to the deal.
"She was really happy and excited" Tyrone said.
"She was very happy for me"
For Tyrone, Rugby League is more than a game, it's a passion. He admits to being a little nervous about taking on the big city and new experiences alone, but says he is ready to take the next step in his Rugby League career.
"I am a bit nervous, it's a big step to take" he said.
"But I'm also really excited and looking forward to it."
Tyrone supports the Canterbury Bulldogs in the NRL; his ido is Sonny Bill Williams and one day soon he just might get the chance to play against him.
"I just like the way he plays" Tyrone said.
"He's got good ball-playing skills and he's very determined"
Tyrone's coach, Mark Williams, says he can see Tyrone going far but he will have to put in the hard yards to succeed.
"It is a credit to him getting this far." He said
"He definitiley has the natural ability to make it.
"He is hard-hiting in defence and he's a good ball runner. If he puts in the effort and works hard I think he will do it."
Last Updated ( Monday, 30 June 2008 11:53 )

Last edited by a moderator:

PARANoIR

Bench
I've seen him play and I played against his older brother.

He's a good defender but that's about it. He always big notes himself at any given opportunity. I've seen him pick fights with people during games but as soon as they shape up, he dogs it. He doesn't offer much in attack but he's quite solid defensively, although last time I saw him he really wasn't that big either. Definitely not big enough to play in the backrow imo. Maybe he's bulked up because I haven't seen him in some time.

Sadly, his father died of a heart failure after he'd played a game of Rugby League last year. I'm fiarly confident Tyrone found him as well. Not sure. I hope he does well for his fathers sake, he was a good man and a very good friend of one of my best mates.

davidn

Juniors
Sea Eagle turns back into a Seagull. Hopgood never returned to Manly after the Xmas break. Decieded to stay in his home town of Hervey Bay in Qld and passed up the opportunity with the Sea Eagles. Probably the case of Qld country boy home sickness or maybe not that keen for an NRL carreer after all.

willvillain

Juniors
Sea Eagle turns back into a Seagull. Hopgood never returned to Manly after the Xmas break. Decieded to stay in his home town of Hervey Bay in Qld and passed up the opportunity with the Sea Eagles. Probably the case of Qld country boy home sickness or maybe not that keen for an NRL carreer after all.

his ido is Sonny Bill Williams

Kids these days will do anything to be like their idols....

APRIL BELLE

Juniors

Partly true but sitting around all day without a job didn't help and with his contract not enough to cover his board that didn't help either.

jhoppy

Juniors
I've seen him play and I played against his older brother.

He's a good defender but that's about it. He always big notes himself at any given opportunity. I've seen him pick fights with people during games but as soon as they shape up, he dogs it. He doesn't offer much in attack but he's quite solid defensively, although last time I saw him he really wasn't that big either. Definitely not big enough to play in the backrow imo. Maybe he's bulked up because I haven't seen him in some time.

Sadly, his father died of a heart failure after he'd played a game of Rugby League last year. I'm fiarly confident Tyrone found him as well. Not sure. I hope he does well for his fathers sake, he was a good man and a very good friend of one of my best mates.

jhoppy

Juniors
Clearing a few things up paranoir. Being related to Tyrone i am well qualified to inform that he was not the one who found his father following his fatal heart attack. And he doesn't have an older brother so who are you talking about ? Also, from what i know Tyrone wasn't given what he was promised when Manly moved him to Sydney. A job was promised and nothing was delivered. Being 18 with 3 younger siblings and losing his Dad at such a young age would be difficult for anyone. I've only seen bits and pieces of Tyrone in action as i live many km's from Hervey Bay, and i can say he has the skill, strength and body shape to be a very good footballer. Alot of 18 year olds like to think they can fight and brawl, it just depends on who matures first!Its up to him now if he wants it bad enough another chance will come. Might pay to get facts straight before blogging about someone, especially after what we have been through..

saint-colesy

Juniors
I actually play with Tyrone, saw him at the RSL the other week and he said something about having a seizure for the reason returning home. He's still training and all apparently and has the option to go back if his fitness is right.