What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey, Mr. Gallop, pssstttt

I'm not too annoyed about cutie going to play AFL, I wasn't too annoyed about the others going to Union either, what does annoy me is that we let them come back after it either doesn't work out or they get bored.

How about this for an idea, don't let them come back?

Simple eh?

I for one would be much happier to know that these blokes will never again run around in the NRL and you would probably rid yourself of that wishy-washy-gibberer-when-under-pressure image you have carefully crafted for yourself.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We spent 100 hundred years slating RU for this, and you want to do the same thing?
Apart from it being illegal we are not in a schoolground!

Kiki

First Grade
When it comes down to it, footy is a business. To ban them would be an emotional reaction. Plus it would mean we couldn't have awes come back stories like big dell!

Perth Red

Post Whore
So, it wasn't illegal for Union to do it for 100 years, but it is now?

Make up your mind you rednecked imbecile.

restraint of trade laws are a relativley new invention and its only in recent times that players have actually got managers who know these things, thicko!

When it comes down to it, footy is a business. To ban them would be an emotional reaction. Plus it would mean we couldn't have awes come back stories like big dell!

Big Dell could do a career ending injury tomorrow for all I care. The bloke is a dog and always will be a dog.

f**k 'em, tell them they're not welcome back and then see if they go in the first place.

restraint of trade laws are a relativley new invention and its only in recent times that players have actually got managers who know these things, thicko!

Sooooooo,

If I leave my current employer (knowing full well they have a policy of not re-employing that type of person) to go to the opposition, then decide I want to go back and they say no, I can sue them for restraint of trade?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja-dg89wr-s

maple_69

Bench
If a professional went over to a competitor in the business world and a few years later had an opportunity to come back, I really don't think the original business would pass up the opportunity to reclaim that professional and their unique skills.
You don't offer any reasoning for why and I think if anything the repeated returns to Rugby League by players who have gone of on a cross code adventure are a massive stab in the heart for the other codes.

If a professional went over to a competitor in the business world and a few years later had an opportunity to come back,

errr, the point is that I don't want them to have the opportunity to come back.

I really don't think the original business would pass up the opportunity to reclaim that professional and their unique skills.

errr, what "unique skills" would they be?

You don't offer any reasoning for why and I think if anything the repeated returns to Rugby League by players who have gone of on a cross code adventure are a massive stab in the heart for the other codes.

pfffffttt...

It gives me the sh*ts that we take them back. We offer these blokes a life-line out of the mire after they bit the hand that feeds them. They should be made to lie in the beds they made for themselves.

In the real world, that's what happens...

salivor

First Grade
How is Wendell an awesome comeback story? The bloke was one of the first big names to match the switch starting the rot. He then sat back for years acting as a puppet for the ARU encouraging all the big names in League to join the revolution. Let's face it, if he didn't get busted for Cocaine he would've never given our game a second thought and retired on his big fat union salary.

All Wendell has done is serve as an example to all players that have made the switch that when they get shafted or bored league will be here like the sad desperate used and cheated on ex-girlfriend to take them back in.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
the issue EA is the restraint of trade laws, whilst i agree with you in principle, the only way it could be done is if all the 16 clubs have a 'gentlemans agreement' that they wont offer anyone who's left a contract. basically its a truce. unfortunately it will never happen as a clubs sole purpose is to win and the people involved would sell their souls if they thought it would get them an edge.

a good case in point is the clubs who continue to sign trouble players who've been sacked from previous clubs. the new law which has clubs who sign torubled players facing a higher fine if the player mucks up is an attempt to try and disuade clubs from signing repeat offenders but until it's put into practice it's just words on a bit of paper

Slackboy72

Coach
Sooooooo,

If I leave my current employer (knowing full well they have a policy of not re-employing that type of person) to go to the opposition, then decide I want to go back and they say no, I can sue them for restraint of trade?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja-dg89wr-s

No but if a third party stopped your original employer from taking you back then you could. The players are employed by the clubs not the NRL and until the clubs choose to take your narrow-minded us-vs-them attitude I guess you are plum out of luck numbnuts.

Thomas

First Grade
How is Wendell an awesome comeback story? The bloke was one of the first big names to match the switch starting the rot. He then sat back for years acting as a puppet for the ARU encouraging all the big names in League to join the revolution. Let's face it, if he didn't get busted for Cocaine he would've never given our game a second thought and retired on his big fat union salary.

All Wendell has done is serve as an example to all players that have made the switch that when they get shafted or bored league will be here like the sad desperate used and cheated on ex-girlfriend to take them back in.

Absolutely spot on. If he hadn't been caught he'd now be living in Japan or France or maybe still playing with the Waratahs.

He only came back to RL because no one would take him in RU.

Jono1987

Juniors
Absolutely spot on. If he hadn't been caught he'd now be living in Japan or France or maybe still playing with the Waratahs.

He only came back to RL because no one would take him in RU.

Has the game lost anything from accepting Dell back in? No. Has Rugby League benefited from having Dell back? Yes. Get over it.

Thomas

First Grade
Has the game lost anything from accepting Dell back in? No. Has Rugby League benefited from having Dell back? Yes. Get over it.

Sorry? What did RL gain?

A guy who sank the boot into the sport every time he wrote an article in the paper and who's only reason for crawling back to the game was that no one else would take him?

AWESOME STORY!!11!one

Kiki

First Grade
while you're all bitching, Dell has been amazing for the Dragons both on and off the field. get over yourselves.

Thomas

First Grade
So it's alright then?

A guy can trash the game and then come back when he has no other option?

I'm sure he's been great on and off the field. I'm even more sure he'd tell you that himself.