What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History says 1 GF Qualifier is certain to miss out in 2012!

Who is most likely to miss the semi's in season 2012

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scarves

Juniors
Since the 2002 season, every year at least one of the final four teams in the two Grand Final Qualifiers haven't made it to the semi finals the following year. Some teams have even gone on to finish in the bottom 2 in the next season.

This is the list of Grand Final Qualifying Finalists that haven't made the semi finals in the following year since 2002.

2010 - Sydney Roosters & Gold Coast
2009 - Parramatta, Canterbury, Melbourne* & Brisbane
2008 - New Zealand & Cronulla Sutherland
2007 - Nth Queensland & Parramatta
2006 - St. George Illawarra
2005 - Nth Queensland & Wests Tigers
2004 - Sydney Roosters, Canterbury & Penrith
2003 - New Zealand
2002 - Cronulla Sutherland

(*Melbourne for obvious reasons)

This year we saw Manly vs Brisbane and New Zealand vs Melbourne in the 2011 Grand Final Qualifiers. Manly have had the worst dead season in memory, Brisbane lose Locky, Melbourne are still chugging along but didn't finish with any authority in season 2011, while the Warriors look to be on the up, but then again, we've heard that story before.

Who do you think will most likely miss out in season 2012?

timka4

Bench
Yeah I think Brisbane. They may make the 8, but to make the GF qualifiers in their first season without Lockyer would be a massive achievement.

Big Pete

Referee
I'd say Manly & Brisbane would be odds on favourite of missing out.

It's hard enough being defending premiers but to lose your coach before the season has begun and to have all this infighting is a recipe for disaster. Looking at their side, I kind of feel like 2011 was the last hurrah for some and it wouldn't surprise me to see some of them plan their ESL retirement plans.

As a Broncos fan I have a lot of confidence about our future but history shows it takes awhile to recover after a great retires and without an heir in sight I have my doubts whether they'll make it this far.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Im gonna say Warriors. Inconsistency is their forte.
2007-semi final
2008-GF qualifier
2010-top 8
2011-GF

This. Plus every time they get talked up they fail. Also no one remembers they've lost their coach?
If I remember correctly we were talked up quite a bit before last season....

But yeah could be us, who knows. But with out roster it's hard to imagine us not making the 8. Sure wouldn't be a good look for Bluey.

thorson1987

Coach
I'm going against the grain and say Melbourne.

I just think that the 2011 year (although a transition year) seemed to also be about saying a big "stuff you" to the NRL.

I have no doubt we will be in the top 8 but don't think we can go that far again.

DC_fan

Coach
With what has gone on at Manly in recent times for mine Manly will struggle big time to make the playoffs next season.

Talons

Juniors
Every day the journos have a new spin on who's going to leave Manly, if half of what they're saying is true we could find ourselves doing it tough.

The Warriors have also lost their coach, so that could be telling but otherwise they seem to have had minimal distractions.

Broncos could have a hiccup without the Messiah, but have a core of good young players coming through.

Every day the journos have a new spin on who's going to leave Manly, if half of what they're saying is true we could find ourselves doing it tough.

The Warriors have also lost their coach, so that could be telling but otherwise they seem to have had minimal distractions.

Broncos could have a hiccup without the Messiah, but have a core of good young players coming through.

Losing Ivan is a fair point but alot of ppl don't relize that Bluey is a great coach too

Im gonna say Warriors. Inconsistency is their forte.

Plz!!! I think your 1 eye needs checking, love how that word gets thrown around alot especially when it comes from the attiutde of the old warrior days
This club has been very professional and it shows off and on field
Inconsistency sums up your mob however or should i take that back and say Paramatta a consistenly useless :roll:

Raider_69

Post Whore
this would have to be the first season in which both GFists have had a change of coach going into the following year
i think 2012 might be the first season in recently memory in which both gfists miss the 8

Manly and the Warriors to go out. Canberra and Sharks/Bulldogs/Panthers to fill the spots

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Plz!!! I think your 1 eye needs checking, love how that word gets thrown around alot especially when it comes from the attiutde of the old warrior days
This club has been very professional and it shows off and on field
Inconsistency sums up your mob however or should i take that back and say Paramatta a consistenly useless :roll:

Yeah, wow. You sure did give a good logical explanation about why the Warriors aren't inconsistent. Well done.

Latest posts