What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How come

dino1

Juniors
I was thinking why people on this forum are mentioning young players that they have high opinion of, say they are not ready for NRL YET Penrith have no problems in blooding young players and having much success. This attitude permeates throughout the whole club.

My attitude is if the "older" players are not performing then the younger players MUST be selected. Look at Penrith and saints respective ladder positions

Dragon David

First Grade
I agree mate if they are good enough , then they are old enough , this bring them along slowly is a problem at our club we end up losing them ..... Like you say other clubs are giving young players a go .... We need Speed speed and more speed ..... Welcome back Dino .....
At this stage of the competition and the fact that it is unlikely that we will be playing finals footy, why not give the younger guys a chance, for all to see if they are ready? They would rather play safety first by sticking to the same team which beat the Eels, without Fui of course because of his suspension last night for 2 weeks.

dino1

Juniors
I agree mate if they are good enough , then they are old enough , this bring them along slowly is a problem at our club we end up losing them ..... Like you say other clubs are giving young players a go .... We need Speed speed and more speed ..... Welcome back Dino .....

I never left this forum.

possm

Coach
Difference is Penrith have an academy and state of the art facilities and staff. They know how to get players FG ready and we can’t seem to make that jump. That is the missing link to me. Being a development club we need to focus on getting this part right.
I remember when working at the RAAF Base at Glenbrook, the Panthers operating out of a tin shed. They raised money to build their leagues club by offering life membership of 200.00. Boy haven't they kicked off from there.

What has happened to the once-mighty St George and the Taj. I'd say we were Dousted and still are being Dousted; still has his nose in the trough.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I remember when working at the RAAF Base at Glenbrook, the Panthers operating out of a tin shed. They raised money to build their leagues club by offering life membership of 200.00. Boy haven't they kicked off from there.

What has happened to the once-mighty St George and the Taj. I'd say we were Dousted and still are being Dousted; still has his nose in the trough.
Possibly, but if you take Gould’s recent comments they were days from closing down. He then brokered a loan from Packer to keep the whole show afloat. Not sure that I’d point to them just because they’ve had some recent success. They’ve had a rockey ride the old Panthers since 67 despite having a hell of a nursery for a along time.

That said, long for the Taj days. Let’s get it back!

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Possibly, but if you take Gould’s recent comments they were days from closing down. He then brokered a loan from Packer to keep the whole show afloat. Not sure that I’d point to them just because they’ve had some recent success. They’ve had a rockey ride the old Panthers since 67 despite having a hell of a nursery for a along time.

That said, long for the Taj days. Let’s get it back!

First step is to appoint a sec/man at the Taj who has some interest in Rugby League.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Pretty simple answer Dino, Deano is coaching for his future.
He has until the end of the season as his audition for the big gig, he will be looking for wins. He will see "experience" as his safest option, he won't be flirting with youth. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Perhaps Dean should learn from McGregor's long run debacle that taking the apparent safe option is not always going to get you where you need to be. Better to take the clever option. Persisting week after week with guys like Lafai and Norman, waiting for a turnaround which never comes yet still repeating and repeating until you end up losing it all.

No one wins, everyone loses. It's about the messages it sends to the players as well, both the incumbents and the hopefuls - poor messages to both. Either your safe no matter what (Norman, Lafai, Sims, Aitken) or you realise you're never going to get an opportunity (Herbert, Garrick, Luciano, Sailor etc) and even though you'd prefer to be a dragon you end up a Warrior or Tiger or Sea Eagle or a number 18).

Already a sign his coaching career may well be short lived. Let's see what happens over the next couple of months, he may adjust his thinking.

dino1

Juniors
Why arent we looking at josh ada car for next year. He would be an awesome centre. Who are we looking to fill the vacant centre position for 2021