What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do Sydney League Fans travel to the footy?

How do you travel to the footy in Sydney?

• Car

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Train

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Bus

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Walk

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loudstrat

Coach
The reason I'm asking this is that when they built Stadium Australia, they made sure it was easy to gte to by train. Also, they organised bus routs from all over the place to bring the people in. I noticed when I first went to the Easter Show at Homebush, the buses running from Castle Hill made it a 20 min trip. For us, nowhere was 20 mins away - everything was over 40.

Stadium Australia gets bigger crowds so the stats say. Yet everyone curses the lack of atmosphere compared to suburban grounds and the SFS.

I'm just wondering what role assessible transport plays in this, given that most Sydney grounds (except the obsolete Lidcome and barely used Campbelltown) are not close to a train station on a major line.

Thoughts?

ledzep

Bench
I generally drive out to the SFS. If we weren't members (and therefore not able to use the member's car park), I'd be more inclined to use public transport.
At the moment though, it's a 15-20 min drive v. an hour by public transport, so not a tough choice

ali

Bench
Sydney's public transport could be so much better. Coming from the Sutherland Shire, it's very hard to get anywhere other than the centre of the city by public transport. Stadium Australia is an almost certain drive. The SFS would also be quicker to drive to, given it's about 20 minutes from Central station.

Now in the days of the Cee Es Es Cee, if i was still at home I'd be going to all Sydney away games on one of the subsidised supporters buses.

Big games at Stadium Australia would be ok, if the special buses are running. But they don't run for regular NRL matches!

Sydney's public transport is very poor. Bring on the new metro lines I say. I think from memory there is going to be a stop near the SFS / SCG.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Depends where the game is and what time it's on.

Manly - drive (pain in the arse by bus)
SFS - train/bus (or if the weathers fine get the train and walk up froim Central)
ANZ - train if I'm drinking, drive otherwise
Cronulla - train if I'm drinking, drive otherwise
Leichhardt - drive
Campbelltown - drive
Penrith - train

TITAN1

Juniors
I get off the lounge walk over and pick up the remote then sit down and watch the footy.

Special K

Coach
Cronulla has a bus service that runs from the game back to like the main part of cronulla. I thought that was a really handy idea

Origins my mates and I catch the train but for other games we drive.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Cronulla has a bus service that runs from the game back to like the main part of cronulla. I thought that was a really handy idea

Origins my mates and I catch the train but for other games we drive.

Do you hold hands, sing songs and sit on one another's laps?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Live on the Central Coast... drive normally except the GF when the train is really the only alternative.

ANZ is piss-easy to get to and it rarely takes me much more than an hour, hour+15 to get there. It's direct, the main roads to it aren't as easily congested because it avoids the city.

The SFS I went to on Friday. It took me 2h 30. It's impossible to get there in reasonable time on a Friday night if you don't live within a few km of the city, it's terribly placed for public transport.

The ideal would be to have the two stadiums swap location tbh.

Latest posts