What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How good was Offiah?

The try JAC scored from dummy half against the Warriors 2 weeks ago reminded me of a try Chariots scored while playing for St George (must have been 91). Went looking for you tube of it but was unsuccessful. Foundbthis thread though and thought someone might have more success than me in locating the footage.

JAC also reminds me a bit of Chariots in his playing style. Speed to burn and a very balanced and evasive running style.

It's not one of the 3 tries he scores in this video is it -

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just checked, Offiah was 5kg heavier than JAC. At 91kg he wasn't as small as some seem to think.

Its a shame England RL cant still attract RU players!

JamesRustle

First Grade

Nope, but I watched that clip a few nights back... he had a fair try not awarded (I think the Bunker may have even awarded it to him if it was around back then) and bombed another one in that game.

If memory serves, the try I'm thinking of was a day game, probably at Kogarah.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Just on that video....

Is Graeme Hughes still commentating?

I thought he was better than Rabs and Rex.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I had the try scoring double of Martin Offiah and Les Kiss up at North Sydney Oval back in 1989. Can’t remember how much it paid though.

typicalfan

Coach
Pleeease, whilst they are good wingers, he sits very comfortably with any of these players. He was a similar type to Corowa but better.
He comfortably does not. Fast and good on the end of great backlines in England but was no where near these guys when he played in Australia

horrie hastings

First Grade
He played a big fat 12 games in 1989 and a solitary one in 1991 for Easts.

Such an illustrious career in the NSWRL. LOL.

Yep and Easts were shit in 1989. I do remember him scoring some bloody good tries for Easts that year though but his positional play in defence was a bit questionable.
He was at Saints in 1991. He played one game for Easts against Penrith in 1993 up at Penrith Park.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade

His first game with Easts back in 1989, he scored with his first touch of the ball. Used to be able to find the highlights of this match on you tube but cant find it now, it was Easts vs Wests at the SFS in 1989. Easts had Joe Lydon and Martin Offiah playing for them and Wests had Ellery Hanley, Garry Schofield and Kelvin Skerret playing, all were Great Britain rep players.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
He comfortably does not. Fast and good on the end of great backlines in England but was no where near these guys when he played in Australia

Disagree.... scored 20 tries in 26 games for two very average teams.

Could score from anywhere as he proved many times.....including slicing through for a try with his first touch of the ball in Australia.

Imagine him in a top side.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
He played a big fat 12 games in 1989 and a solitary one in 1991 for Easts.

Such an illustrious career in the NSWRL. LOL.

In those days players had off season spells with clubs so Offiah's main commitment was to his English clubs.

In 1989 his last game for Widnes was the Premiership Final at Old Trafford on May 14 and his first game for the Roosters was a week later on May 21.

He played EVERY round until he had to return to England for the start of their season in late August.

Same in 1993, he played in the Premiership Final for Wigan against St.Helens at Old Trafford on May 16 and played his first game for the Roosters on May 29.

Unfortunately Offiah injured his knee in this game and could not play a further game.

At the time he was a very high profile player and garnered alot of interest from media and supporters.

There was not much more Offiah could do.

Same when he played for St.George in 1991. He finished his last game in England on May 12 played his first game for the Dragons on May 19 and stayed until the last game in Round 22 on August 25.

Offiah virtually played non stop from 1987 to1994.

During the English off seasons he was:

1988 on Tour with Gt Britain

1989 at Easts

1990 on Tour with Gt Britain

1991 at St.George

1992 on Tour with Gt Britain

1993 at Easts

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Corowa had one outstanding season in 1978 and a good year in 1979.

So I would easily rate Offiah higher than him.

Latest posts