What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How great is Dale Steyn?

Tommy Smith

Referee
If this is indeed a "batsman's era", and I believe that is absolutely correct, then logic would dictate that Steyn's record over the last decade is even more remarkable than the numbers suggest.

An avg. of 22.

The greatest strike rate of the modern era at roughly 41.

We tend to give more credence to batsmen's performances in the 80s. And rightfully so. For example Allan Border's 50 avg. is far more weighty than Michael Clarke's from this era.

Likewise I believe Steyn should receive more credit for his performances in this era. He even has a remarkable record on the subcontinent.

Seam movement. Outswing with the new ball. Searing reverse swing with the old ball. Incredible stamina and a ferocious competitor.

Steyn truly is one of the greatest bowlers of all-time. And one could make a very good argument that he's one of the top two or three fast bowlers ever.

And yet he doesn't receive the adulation he deserves. At least not here in Australia.

Why so?

JJ

Immortal
He does everywhere else. His strike rate is astonishing, when it's clearly better than Hadlee, Marshall, Lillee, McGrath et al it should be clear we're looking at someone special

Tommy Smith

Referee
26 5 wicket hauls and counting, too.

I don't think there's any doubt that statistically speaking he's the greatest fast bowler of the post war era.

Personally I think cricket personalities, the oldies so to speak, continue to deify the likes of Lillee.

Which isn't to say that he wasn't a great bowler. In fact I'd pick him in my all-time team because before his back injury he was so destructive. And the way he adapted post injury speaks to a truly great bowler

But statistically even the great DK isn't the equal of Steyn. And he bowled in far better bowler friendly conditions and had an awful subcontinent record.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
If this is indeed a "batsman's era", and I believe that is absolutely correct, then logic would dictate that Steyn's record over the last decade is even more remarkable than the numbers suggest.

An avg. of 22.

The greatest strike rate of the modern era at roughly 41.

We tend to give more credence to batsmen's performances in the 80s. And rightfully so. For example Allan Border's 50 avg. is far more weighty than Michael Clarke's from this era.

Likewise I believe Steyn should receive more credit for his performances in this era. He even has a remarkable record on the subcontinent.

Seam movement. Outswing with the new ball. Searing reverse swing with the old ball. Incredible stamina and a ferocious competitor.

Steyn truly is one of the greatest bowlers of all-time. And one could make a very good argument that he's one of the top two or three fast bowlers ever.

And yet he doesn't receive the adulation he deserves. At least not here in Australia.

Why so?

He's a cat,fakes injuries when the going gets tough and walks off the field.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Don't disagree on McGrath btw.

If I was picking a team to play for my life from all the players I've seen, he'd be my first pick.

JJ

Immortal
Really?

I'd have Border, probably Marshall just ahead of Hadlee.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Agreed JJ and Border with the bat and Marshall with the ball.

Steyn is a great bowler no doubt, His record is outstanding but i have him just behind the likes of Marshall,Hadlee,DK, McGrath and Wasim.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'd have him in the top echelon with Marshall lillee akram mcGrath etc

Could do it anywhere and over a long period of time.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
He is the best bowler of the current generation by miles and is an all time great. Not much can really be said. He is among the best ever.

I think most cricket watching australians would agree

simmo1

First Grade
Yeah, not sure who doesn't credit him as being one of the greats.

I still remember Phil Jaques carving him up on debut thinking 'who the hell is this nuffy' lol.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I remember that game too !

Was he batting with Ricky Ponting ? I recall Ponting gave him a bit of stick too.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
First time I saw Steyn was in a ODI series v Australia under the roof at Etihad or whatever it's called.

Got smashed all over the place.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It is so Tommy to make a thread about a South African player just to get a few digs in at Australians. lmao

WaznTheGreat

Referee
So great that he has never won a World Cup and choked massively in the last one against NZ(in a tournament that had the worst ever Aussie team in it)

World Cup wins

Glenn McGrath 3
Dale Steyn 0

Tommy Smith

Referee
Lol thats ODI cricket.

No one gives a shit about that junk.

Based on one day stats George freaking Bailey is a quality batsman. But we all know that's not true based on his Tests and 1st class career.

Test cricket is the only true test of a cricketer. Hence TEST cricket.