What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How has the Game Come to This

the seagull

Juniors
I started this thread the highlight the refereeing interpretations that don't make sense.

1. . You onside in defence on your line if you have one foot behind the try line
2. You onside at a twenty metre tap if your have one behind the thirty metre line
3 If the ball comes from in front of you and hits you hand and ends up behind you its a knock on (this is what happens when you have people who failed basic physics refereeing)
4 you're at marker and the person playing the ball jumps a metre to your right to play the ball, the dummy half picks up the ball and runs to the left, you penalised for not being squared at marker
5 You get a penalty inside the oppositions ten metre line because they held you down slowing down your attack, you can't take a quick tap until the opposition defence is ready losing any advantage of the penalty
6. The lineperson says forward pass from marker, the referee ignores the advice because it comes from the linesperson
7 you win a scrum against the feed but the ref blows his whistle because this isn't meant to happen

8 the bunker watches the first reply of a possible double movement in slow motion, people hold more weight to their first viewing and disregard later viewings unless it confirms what they have first seen (of courses it looks like a double movement Einstein it's in slow motion)

That's a start

Reactions: siv

dannyt

Coach
Some grammatical errors for sure, but easy enough to read and makes some good points.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Lets just get rid of all refs. That'll f**k em.

Seriously though, I love a good thread on rules. Always has a definable outcome.

Card Shark

Immortal
The rules never change, they are interpreted differently year to year, sadly even week to week.

That's what pisses fans off.

Currently, on a kick for a try, you have to have both feet behind the kicker, which is fair enough. 2 years ago they couldn't have cared less about the 2nd foot

When there's a kick from 30 or 40m out, the chasers are rarely onside, but they don't care about the rule then.

POPEYE

Coach
I started this thread the highlight the refereeing interpretations that don't make sense.

1. . You onside in defence on your line if you have one foot behind the try line
2. You onside at a twenty metre tap if your have one behind the thirty metre line
3 If the ball comes from in front of you and hits you hand and ends up behind you its a knock on (this is what happens when you have people who failed basic physics refereeing)
4 you're at marker and the person playing the ball jumps a metre to your right to play the ball, the dummy half picks up the ball and runs to the left, you penalised for not being squared at marker
5 You get a penalty inside the oppositions ten metre line because they held you down slowing down your attack, you can't take a quick tap until the opposition defence is ready losing any advantage of the penalty
6. The lineperson says forward pass from marker, the referee ignores the advice because it comes from the linesperson
7 you win a scrum against the feed but the ref blows his whistle because this isn't meant to happen

8 the bunker watches the first reply of a possible double movement in slow motion, people hold more weight to their first viewing and disregard later viewings unless it confirms what they have first seen (of courses it looks like a double movement Einstein it's in slow motion)

That's a start
Makes sense to me

ed-grimley

Bench
There's a very loose interpretation of loose carry/strip. Is a player entitled to rip the ball out if the guy with the ball is somehow deemed not to be holding it properly?

Card Shark

Immortal
There is a time when a player has to prepare to release the ball to play it.

That's when the grip is most vulnerable.

The magicians in the game that have a hand (or knee) quicker than the eye can give it a nudge out.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
There's a very loose interpretation of loose carry/strip. Is a player entitled to rip the ball out if the guy with the ball is somehow deemed not to be holding it properly?

yeah for me any time a tackler has their hand on the ball they are leaning on it praying for it to pop loose
cause then it is a 50/50 whether they will get a scrum

should be: tackler hand on ball = strip

mozza91

Coach
A lot of people look at the 12-1 loss to Iceland as team USA's turning point but I feel conceding 2 goals against the Trinidad and Tobago side was in fact that watershed moment.

Last edited:

roofromoz

First Grade
Should just be like the scratch games of touch footy we played during lunch in high school where there was no refs and it was based on an honour system when there were forward passes and knock ons.

I see no dramas with that at all.

T-Boon

Coach
Refs could literally penalise every single tackle/play the ball if they chose too.

Thats the stupidity of the RL ruck. I think neither team should get any advantage out of the tackle. The speed of the play the ball should not be a factor in the game.

siv

First Grade
When was the last time a player running through from behind the kicker was allowed to run the kick chase onside ?

Or a player sent to sin bin for repeat infringements ?

But the pearler is the need for Referees to manage the game and being worried about penalty counts - instead of simply penalising players for breaking the rules

I would love to see how a 1920s referee would rule on most of the play the balls in todays game

Players are supposed to get to their feet and THEN place the ball on the ground

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I wish people would just stop whinging. Commentators/coaches and fans whinging over 50/50 decisions and rules. Give it a break.

tripster

Juniors
The inconsistency in the refereeing is inexplicable these days. It isn't a difficult thing to get right, but the fact that it is so wildly inconsistent between referees and even within a single match makes it not difficult to draw the conclusion that the NRL is turning into WWE where the referees riding instruction is produce a close game (i.e. a ratings maximising event) rather than to properly apply the rules.