What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Fix Dragons

Bench
It has been said that the club cannot afford to pay out Mary due to finances.
It's been said in a few league sites that Hasler is on $500,000.00.
If that is true Mary would not get close to that.
I think we are stuck with him.
As someone said Hunt is a million dollar player to be coached by a 50 cent coach

It has been said that the club cannot afford to pay out Mary due to finances.
It's been said in a few league sites that Hasler is on $500,000.00.
If that is true Mary would not get close to that.
I think we are stuck with him.
As someone said Hunt is a million dollar player to be coached by a 50 cent coach
If the financial damage for sacking McGregor is the main issue then fire the ones responsible for extending him so prematurely.
Even with previous experiences (Price renewal, 2015 and 2016 collapses) they STILL went ahead and renewed his contract early in the season.
Irresponsible, ridiculous decision that should never have been made.
For the simple reason that all options were quashed the moment we extended.
Considering the club's predicament, they should have the gumption to terminate and to wear the cost up front.
I don't believe they cannot shift direction if they really wanted to.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Dragon-Spit-Glue--50gsm-L.jpg

Coffs dragon

Bench
Illawarra as a stand alone doesn't exist at the moment. By joining STGI and the Sharks areas nothing is lost, the Illawarra area would be represented exactly as it is now. Right at this moment the club in southern Sydney with the most attractive future financially is the Sharks. The NRL would not want to lose the Sharks financial position and the Illawarra junior nursery. St George has a history, geographically distributed fan base, and a well known "brand". These are relatively transportable and unfortunately, in my opinion make St George a prime target for relocation.
Unfortunately Carlton I think you are correct with your views. I feel it will come down to the NRLs two joint venture clubs facing some form or relocation in order to survive under poor management & decision making. Our club needs a buyer whom can take control or we are doomed. Both joint venture clubs have failings without a true home and playing out of multiple grounds.
IMO both Dragons & Tigers need one home & one heartland to survive into the future. We currently have two sets of dopey factions with their noses in the trough pretending to run things.

Dragsters

First Grade
As far as our 2017 chances on field I would try...

Mann stsys at 7 for at least 5 more games

Dufty to fullback

Dugan to right centre

Isaac Thompson to replace Nene on the wing

When Vaughan is back, bench Packer, with Ah Mau to start.

Bench of Sims, Packer, Leilua, Sele/Host.

If a back goes down then JT to centre.

Como Connection

First Grade
As far as our 2017 chances on field I would try...

Mann stsys at 7 for at least 5 more games

Dufty to fullback

Dugan to right centre

Isaac Thompson to replace Nene on the wing

When Vaughan is back, bench Packer, with Ah Mau to start.

Bench of Sims, Packer, Leilua, Sele/Host.

If a back goes down then JT to centre.
Good idea alias no way will our star coach do so.
Too much of a gamble for him to undertake.
CC

Life's Good

Coach
Just catching up on the replies to this thread and there are many good points raised. The only thing I can add would be I see our problems as off field eg the front office. For me the thing that needs to happen is the NRL needs to make it clear that the 6.5m debt needs to be paid by X timeline. If that isn't possible then the NRL somehow needs to draft up a plan of their own to oust the current administration(not all, just key positions) for negligence in their basic obligations. This would then hopefully lead to the installation of some outsiders whose remit is to create some serious level of accountability as well as breaking up this closeted boys club network whose first priority is to look after themselves it seems. To a lesser or greater extent this is the basis of change at the Tigers & GC. At the GC they seem to be heading in the right direction(they have a couple of interested buyers) and the Tigers are finally getting their act together.

Old Timer

Coach
How really sad is it that people in here can come up with a plethora of ideas as to what might be done to improve our performances and HO, Mc Fookknuckle & Co can come up with a big fat zip but can readily offer a million excuses
Absolutely clueless and devoid of ideas and they still gave jobs which is even more incredulous

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Possm has stated " Millward is a failed x-coach and now is creating problems by not understanding the balance needed between fresh juniors and established first graders in a squad."

Possm, there has been much criticism of Millward on the Forum. To help me reach my own conclusions can you provide some evidence of his being a failed coach. I am aware of him having worked in the Super League but don't know his record there and of having coached the Cutters in a rather mediocre season. Any detail would be greatly appreciated.

Old Timer

Coach
Possm has stated " Millward is a failed x-coach and now is creating problems by not understanding the balance needed between fresh juniors and established first graders in a squad."

Possm, there has been much criticism of Millward on the Forum. To help me reach my own conclusions can you provide some evidence of his being a failed coach. I am aware of him having worked in the Super League but don't know his record there and of having coached the Cutters in a rather mediocre season. Any detail would be greatly appreciated.

The following will give you a run down.
Ian Millward - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Millward

slippery5

Juniors
  1. Don't pick any players carrying any injuries.
  2. If we are to replace a player in the top grade pick the youngest player from the corresponding position from reserve grade e.g. Garrick not KFFL, Kerr not Masoe or Matthews etc etc.
  3. Stop all the pre conceived ideas of how we are going to play and let the game flow and encourage the team to get the youngsters more heavily involved instead of having them just for the hard stuff.
  4. Stick with Mann in the halves and as you say let him and Mc Innes take some initiative in respect of the way we will organise the attack.
  5. Pick our fastest back from reggies (after all other 1st grade positions have been filled) and play him on the wing outside Lafai.
  6. Never take the 2 points unless it is close to the end of the game and it will make be the difference between winning and losing.
  7. If we get an injury during the game make 1 change and not 2 or 3 like we currently do.
  8. Organise the bench so nobody misses out and everyone gets at least 20 minutes games time.
  9. Run passing drills at training as we have a lot of players who can only go one way and opt not to pass even on their preferred side.
  10. Have consequences for below par performances.
I knew our fate was sealed when they chose point 6 & the Titans declined point 6 when they had a choice.
Two different coaches with two different abilities !!!!!!!!!!!!

1st & 10

Juniors
Ditch Doust. A fish rots from the head down. This guy is more entrenched than the Hindenburg Line