What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game How to incentivise contesting bombs

snickers007

Juniors
I swear I'm not an alt account of T-Boon, but I've got a rule change suggestion.

I'm watching the Dragons vs Rabbits game, and Vossy mentioned how good it is that both teams are contesting their bombs instead of doing the bat-back or letting them bounce. Got me thinking, how can we incentivise this?

So hear me out:
If the kicking team catches a bomb on the full, they get a free tackle. So if it's the 5th, and they catch a bomb on the full, they can get tackled, and reload for one more chance.
If the non-kicking team catches a bomb on the full, they also get a free tackle (eg. a 7 tackle set).

As to what defines a bomb - it's simply a kick that travels at least 10m in a forward direction. Obviously this would impact clearing kicks being taken on the full by the fullback/wingers - resulting in a 7 tackle set.

Advantages include more risks being taken by kicking teams, and high reward for great defensive catches.
Should also see kickers mix up their clearing kicks to try to avoid giving away the 7 tackle set.

Thoughts?

JamesRustle

First Grade
If you catch any kick that has travelled 15m in any direction, call it a mark, then the catcher can't be touched by an opposition player for 10 seconds or until he's kicked it through the posts, or what the hell, through imaginary posts either side of the real posts... then it's game back on.

• Haha
Reactions: Vee

Canard

Immortal
I swear I'm not an alt account of T-Boon, but I've got a rule change suggestion.

I'm watching the Dragons vs Rabbits game, and Vossy mentioned how good it is that both teams are contesting their bombs instead of doing the bat-back or letting them bounce. Got me thinking, how can we incentivise this?

So hear me out:
If the kicking team catches a bomb on the full, they get a free tackle. So if it's the 5th, and they catch a bomb on the full, they can get tackled, and reload for one more chance.
If the non-kicking team catches a bomb on the full, they also get a free tackle (eg. a 7 tackle set).

As to what defines a bomb - it's simply a kick that travels at least 10m in a forward direction. Obviously this would impact clearing kicks being taken on the full by the fullback/wingers - resulting in a 7 tackle set.

Advantages include more risks being taken by kicking teams, and high reward for great defensive catches.
Should also see kickers mix up their clearing kicks to try to avoid giving away the 7 tackle set.

Thoughts?
The current rules basically ban attackers attempting to catch a bomb, so this wouldn't help in the slightest.

T-Boon

Coach
The current rules basically ban attackers attempting to catch a bomb, so this wouldn't help in the slightest.
Unless the kicker directs or times the “bomb” with some actual accuracy - such that the kicking team is the only one in a position to catch it - which is actually skillful unlike the bomb on the last that’s just hoisted (which is a very soft/standard end to a set).

nick87

Coach
If the apex of the defending top ball team catches a bomb, they get a free shot at a field goal from the mark at which the bomb was taken
If they successfully land the field goal, they are awarded 6 points
1 point for a miss

Latest posts