What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I thought the shoulder charge was banned?...

Tommy Smith

Referee
...it's just that Steve Matai wasn't charged for his forceful shoulder charge that made contact with DWZs head.

So when did the NRL bring back the shoulder charge? I must have missed it!

I see part of the trade off though is the bringing in of the "Dangerous Contact - Unnecessary Head/Neck Pressure" charge.

I don't recall Sam Thaiday being involved in any ugly incidents and yet he's facing a week for one of these phantom charges.

Congrats Judiciary...keep up the consistency!

http://www.nrl.com/TelstraPremiership/NewsVideo/Judiciary/tabid/10246/Default.aspx

mxlegend99

Referee
Cameron Smith shoulder charged Jamie Soward while his team was putting in an attacking kick, not even penalised for it. Meanwhile the lesser known players like Jeremy Latimore cop 2 week suspensions for a "crusher" tackle that wasn't even worthy of a penalty. But Cameron Smith managed to talk his teammate into staying down and convince the referee it was a crusher tackle.

It seems the bigger name you are, the less you have to worry about missing any game time. Fringe first graders are punished severely and made an example of. Stars cop a slap on the wrist.

juro

Bench
Shoulder Charge
Is where a defender, without attempting to tackle, grab or hold the ball-carrier (or any opposing player) using the arms or hands, makes direct physical contact using the shoulder or the upper arm (tucked into the side).
It will be considered misconduct, if any player affects a tackle in the manner as defined.
The indicators will include:
1. Rotation of the defenders hips and shoulders
2. Defender has ‘tucked’ his arm into his body.

http://www.nrl.com/laws-of-the-game-shoulder-charge/tabid/10874/newsid/71024/default.aspx

Matai's tackle certainly seems to meet the criteria.
https://t.co/B13Ce4feuX

POPEYE

Coach
Shoulder charges are only illegal if a defender is the perpetrator, Parra's Gower put a Dog and a Knight out of action when he was carrying the ball with deliberate shoulders to the head . . . steal any Smarties you like but don't touch the red ones

Last edited:

juro

Bench
Shoulder charges are only illegal if a defender is the perpetrator, Parra's Gower put a Dog and a Knight out of action when he was carrying the ball with deliberate shoulders to the head . . . steal any Smarties you like but don't touch the red ones
Not sure what you mean by this. Penrith had the ball, so Matai was clearly still a defender.

TheFrog

Coach
At least that one was a penalty, unlike the Idris one in the 76th minute.

People who don't know what a shoulder charge is.

It was a high shot on a player who had already passed the ball. This is not allowed under the game's rules and Matai was penalised. I would argue it's worthy of a Grade 1 or 2 high tackle, but it seems the Manly club are being looked after just at present for some reason or other. It is noted King got off last week as well.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
Was the blatant forward pass picked up? Missed this play during the game.

Tommy Smith

Referee
At least that one was a penalty, unlike the Idris one in the 76th minute.

It was a high shot on a player who had already passed the ball. This is not allowed under the game's rules and Matai was penalised. I would argue it's worthy of a Grade 1 or 2 high tackle, but it seems the Manly club are being looked after just at present for some reason or other. It is noted King got off last week as well.
Yeah I couldn't believe King got off the high shot. I fail to see how you could argue against it.

Maybe this was a match review backlash as if to say "well you merkins will let him off because he's a Manly player anyway."

juro

Bench
ITT:

People who don't know what a shoulder charge is.
Can you answer the following questions for me:
1. Was Matai a defender?
2. Was he attempting to tackle, grab or hold the ball-carrier (or any opposing player) using the arms or hands?
3. Did he make direct physical contact using the shoulder or the upper arm (tucked into the side)?
4. Did he rotate his hips and shoulders?

Nice Beaver

First Grade
That hit was a shoulder charge......Manly a protected species

:lol:

Yep the NRL want so so badly for Manly to win the premiership......:sarcasm:

Matai raised his arms to wrap up the player. Nothing to see here.

oh and Matai being protected? Please. Check his rap sheet - really protected....