What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to dig a ditch, which way would the water flow?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I want to dig a ditch.

Minimum 1 km wide.

Minimum 1 km deep.

All sea level. Blow up shyte in the way

Running where the WA border hits NT and SA.

So from the Timor Sea to the Great Australian Bight.

Which way would it flow?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
If the water is at sea level it will be subject to tidal movement, which will be in the direction of the earth's rotation, so initially it will flow from the GAB to the Timor Sea then back again.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I want to dig a ditch.

Minimum 1 km wide.

Minimum 1 km deep.

All sea level. Blow up shyte in the way

Running where the WA border hits NT and SA.

So from the Timor Sea to the Great Australian Bight.

Which way would it flow?
West.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ditches Don't flow.
haha, never built a damn. Billabongs do not.

Anyways, given the specs, the engineer is correct.

And Muzby the Panama Cannel does run the other way. North West to South East, gravity counts there.

In my ditch would be tidal power plants.

After I build my ditch, I want to build nuclear power plants, supplied by uranium from NT and wind and solar plants all the way down.

Run a power lines to India, and Asia who can in turn run the to power to Europe.

Big job, but can be done.

Would make this country the wealthiest on earth.

Terraforming, must be mastered, or we humans all die on this rock.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Enjoy your power from the last great engineering project.

Snowy Mountains. Done f**k all since.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Australian engineers have developed a tidal power generating plant that can generate a substantial amount of power as the tide goes out and again back on the way in.

I know the engineer who developed his prototypes here but all the financial backing and interest to purchase it has come from over seas. Countries like Vietnam have very long rivers that are subject to tidal flow and have presented him with a ideal market.

Long rivers that are subject to tidal flow allow multiple installations in the one river. Our rivers are generally tidal for short distances and hence the water velocities or flows are not high enough.

_snafu_

Immortal
Is there any way we can extend the Murray River by digging a ditch and towing Victoriania away?