What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Mary was sacked Poll.....Who would you want

If Mary got sacked, who would you like to take over of the available coaches?

• Des Hasler

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Michael Maguire

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Neil Henry

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Jason Demitriou

Votes: 61 58.1%
  • Walker Brothers

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Young / Hornby (Co- Capt)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matt Head

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Laurie Daley

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Kevin Walters

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Other coach not mentioned

Votes: 10 9.5%

• Total voters

grouch

First Grade
Just the first 4 words of this thread title are exciting.

Imagine it people... close your eyes and imagine. An official press release by the club announcing that Paul McGregor has been sacked. Can you imagine any Dragons fan not being filled with excitement, with hope, with optimism? The entire fan base would be energised, the adrenaline would ripple through us like a rising tide. Ahhh.... it's a lovely dream

possm

Coach
Just the first 4 words of this thread title are exciting.

Imagine it people... close your eyes and imagine. An official press release by the club announcing that Paul McGregor has been sacked. Can you imagine any Dragons fan not being filled with excitement, with hope, with optimism? The entire fan base would be energised, the adrenaline would ripple through us like a rising tide. Ahhh.... it's a lovely dream
Mary should follow James Graham's lead and act in the best interest of his Club, not in his own best interest. Mary should resign to save his support at board and CEO level from the embarrassment of sacking him after just extending his contract for a further two years.

Either way, we need a new coach! I voted for Hasler knowing we don't know if he is available. We do know that Madge and Henrey are available and assume that JD would make himself available. These tree coaches would be a vast improvement on what we have.

St Georgio

Juniors
Wow JD is a very popular boy, once again another rookie, cannot see Doust or the board making a move on JD.
I would be very confident they would make a play for an experienced coach like Hasler, they would aleast try to make McGregor accept his sacking more palatable than signing another rookie.

to_ddeath

Coach
In order of preference -

JD
Hasler
Maguire
Walker Bros
Walters

Am assuming that most of the votes in the "Other" category are for Bellyache??

Overseas dragon

Juniors
IF IF IF IF Doust sacked SUPER COACH .WOW that would be cause for the greatest celebration THE BIG RED V ever had .but if is a BIG Word and Doust is a small insignificant idiot who has no idea .so I guess what I'm saying is good luck I hope you get what your looking for.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Can't believe Saints had the most popular choice at the club last season and after the poor season had the easiest decision to make in replacing the current coach with one of the best up and comers and yet decided to do the complete opposite. Let go of the best coach and kept the one who gave them the poor season.

giboz71

First Grade
From the available coaches?

Maguire would be top of my list obviously. And if Hasler was sacked, then Hasler too. These 2 are proven premiership winners. Not really fussed on Henry, getting sacked from his last 2 clubs isn't a great sign.

The rest of the list is a lottery, no guarantees any of them would be better than Mary. Guys like JD, Head, Walters and the Walker Bros sound nice but none of them have 1 day's NRL experience. We've suffered from 2 rookie coaches already, no need to add a third.

corvettedragon

Juniors
From the available coaches?

Maguire would be top of my list obviously. And if Hasler was sacked, then Hasler too. These 2 are proven premiership winners. Not really fussed on Henry, getting sacked from his last 2 clubs isn't a great sign.

The rest of the list is a lottery, no guarantees any of them would be better than Mary. Guys like JD, Head, Walters and the Walker Bros sound nice but none of them have 1 day's NRL experience. We've suffered from 2 rookie coaches already, no need to add a third.
Hasler to be gone from Bulldogs possibly next couple of days.

BennyV

Referee
Not sure where the love for the Walker Brothers comes from, but I'd wager those people don't know too much history and are just jumping on the bandwagon because their style is shiny and new.

In reality, that style took years to become effective in QLD Cup and up against the drilled defences in the NRL, would likely be less effective again. And they haven't shown the ability to adapt if/when it doesn't work (same problem as Mary).

Sure, they might revolutionise rugby league and the way it's played the way Melbourne have with their wrestle, but it's very unlikely and they'd be a high risk signing. There are far better options.

grouch

First Grade
The Walker brothers have a great PR team. Their "style" was impressive for a year but has had diminishing returns since. This year they finished 7th. Not exactly turning me on

sammythesaint

Juniors
Wow JD is a very popular boy, once again another rookie, cannot see Doust or the board making a move on JD.
I would be very confident they would make a play for an experienced coach like Hasler, they would aleast try to make McGregor accept his sacking more palatable than signing another rookie.
Experience does not equal the right fit....nor does it equal good.
My neighbour is an experienced driver.....ohhh, he has had 6 accidents in the past 12 months....damn that experience

Life's Good

Coach
My order of preference would be Hasler
JD
Maguire
TSmith(but I am pretty sure he has ruled out coming back to Oz
I might be convinced on Walters but struggle with his dribble in commentary and find him only tolerable in small doses
The rest, no thanks and the Walker Brothers should not even be an option.

Dragondabest

Juniors
What about Geoff Toovey as coach? He will make slackers and Lazy players do the hard yards, help out the halves and the best criteria that he fits is "Not someone who came up from the dragons System". Isnt interesting that Illawarra cutters won the NSW cup with a coach who isn't from the St George system (JD) and our current Under 20s is in the semifinals with a coach not in the Dragons system (WC). We going to have a Nathan Brown Era if we continue to stick with Paul Macgregor.

St Georgio

Juniors
What about Geoff Toovey as coach? He will make slackers and Lazy players do the hard yards, help out the halves and the best criteria that he fits is "Not someone who came up from the dragons System". Isnt interesting that Illawarra cutters won the NSW cup with a coach who isn't from the St George system (JD) and our current Under 20s is in the semifinals with a coach not in the Dragons system (WC). We going to have a Nathan Brown Era if we continue to stick with Paul Macgregor.
You talking about a manly favourite, who was punted for a rookie in Trent Barrett, No Thanks!

Latest posts