What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If not Madge, then who?

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
So we dont have anyone who can turn this around but we will be demanding sackings after 5 mins.
Madge only got his roster this year, and even then it was smashed by injury, yet we got rid of him at the halfway mark.

there is a reason we have been rubbish for over a decade. We can’t stay the course, unlike a Penrith etc.
The difference between us & Penrith is you could see the improvement each season in Penriths players. We were going backwards under Madge. We have finished lower on the ladder each year he has been here & can you honestly say any of our players look better this year than they did last year. There's been no improvement in Laurie, Stefano, Nofo, Brooks, Luch etc. IMO this was the deciding factor. If it was just one player regressing you could blame it on the player, but when it's a big chunk of the squad, it's always going to fall back on the coach. I was originally against the sacking but after seeing Sheens interview on 360 it's hard to argue with it.

Nope, have a working job, not sure if you're just trolling just me, or giving shit to all penrith fans or both, but it proves true that certain chook fans are in the belief, that coz your a wealthy inagural club that you can demean other fans or clubs of being superior in some way, even tho your fancy club is sitting in the mediocre area of the ladder... but go ahead puff that chest and remember 6agains is your fault ....the raiders should have won that GF
Good for you as it's never good to solely rely on the taxpayer for one's life style. - Got to break that cycle

It's actually inaugural - The word you are really looking for is foundation - what's the saying you can take the boy out of Penrith but not Penrith out of the boy.

Last edited:

General Stripes

Juniors
The difference between us & Penrith is you could see the improvement each season in Penriths players. We were going backwards under Madge. We have finished lower on the ladder each year he has been here & can you honestly say any of our players look better this year than they did last year. There's been no improvement in Laurie, Stefano, Nofo, Brooks, Luch etc. IMO this was the deciding factor. If it was just one player regressing you could blame it on the player, but when it's a big chunk of the squad, it's always going to fall back on the coach. I was originally against the sacking but after seeing Sheens interview on 360 it's hard to argue with it.
We over achieved with our list in 2020, was more like it in 2021.
He finally was rid of those cap fillers and had his list this year and we had a plague of injuries. Was bringing in some very good talent for next season as well.

yeah Sheens may of won us a Premiership, I argue he didn’t as he himself said a threw out the game plan two minutes into the GF, but he also cost us success after that with his mass trades to bring in a useless second rower.

Das Hassler

Bench
yeah Sheens may of won us a Premiership, I argue he didn’t as he himself said a threw out the game plan two minutes into the GF, but he also cost us success after that with his mass trades to bring in a useless second rower.

You don't think the GF win was a continuation of the form of the emphatic finals wins and most games of the second half of that season?

Good for you as it's never good to solely rely on the taxpayer for one's life style. - Got to break that cycle

It's actually inaugural - The word you are really looking for is foundation - what's the saying you can take the boy out of Penrith but not Penrith out of the boy.
f**k up merkin. A Soviet peasant following a team run by a merkin worth a billion dollars. Putin can lick me where I shit.

Nuke Moscow.

Tigerm

First Grade
What’s the issue? Penrith knew they would take pain for a bit if they stayed the course they would have a gravy chain of juniors keeping them at the top.
We decide it’s too hard and sack another coach. As that plan continues to work so well.
My point was they sacked a coach just as they were on the cusp of greatness?

On letting Madge go, the club only did half the job. Fiasco should have commit seppuku and the board should have all resigned in shame.

Das Hassler

Bench
I think that whole stretch was magic. Had nothing to do with an old school coach.

I don't really believe that Sheens could be categorized that way and certainly not while at the raiders ..I very clearly remember Scott Prince saying that early in the '05 season Sheens laid out a style he wanted to go with but after a few games Prince and a few others were losing confidence in what Sheens was selling ...then all of a sudden it all clicked and away they went . Prince totally credited Sheens for the expansive free-flowing style that proved unstoppable. Remember....we had the smallest lightest pack by far but the most mobile as well...the lateral defence was sensational and most every forward was a ball player. We all know the reasons it crashed after '05

Phil Gould

Juniors
The sacking of Madge feels to me like the result of a perfect shit storm. Madge had to wait for millions upon millions of dollars in dead cap money to leave the club to be able to build his own roster, then the injury plague hit. This hampered the teams ability to build combinations, familiarity and consistency due to the constantly changing roster.

One of the best examples of this was Hasting’s harsh suspension, that set back what was developing into a winning combination, Brookes opening up in his new found home in the 6. Then more injuries left a string of losses and mounting pressure leading into two really tough assignments: NQL in magic round and then, after a consolation match with the dogs, the bunnies, out for revenge, in indigenous round. All those earlier losses made those last two assignments must win games and the last two nails in Madge’s coffin.

I can understand Sheens’ decision but win or lose from here the question in my mind will always be: was Madge a champion, on the verge of overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds, or just a round peg trying to fit a square hole? I can’t imagine how the poor bloke must feel, even though I’m unsure what the case was, I know he must feel he was cut off just before his fruit began to ripen.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach

Yes, forgot to add a U, as in f**k U

Fordy20

Juniors
I think that whole stretch was magic. Had nothing to do with an old school coach.
I agree it had nothing to do with an old school coach, but for mine there's nothing magical about it. When Scott Prince let Sheens know he was leaving the Tigers, Sheens made him captain and turned control of the team over to Prince for the rest of the year. Prince effectively did what Johns did with Hagan,
mostly ignored the coach and in return delivered a premiership. For some strange reason, the win was attributed to Sheens, yet he himself admits he had no idea what they were doing in 2005.

Sheens parlayed that single premiership into another wasted seven years at the helm as coach. Eventually the board finally realised it time to move him on and offered him a coaching director role. When he turned his nose up at that, the board finally grew the balls and sacked him. Sheens then turned around the sued the club before f**king off to England where he proceeded to do precisely nothing before the club gets the insane idea to offer him the very job he sued the club for offering in the first place.

Sheens has a job for life at the Tigers all thanks to love he gave to Scott Prince during their time together at the Cowboys and our club is still the same old clusterf**k it has always been ever since the joint venture started.

super_coach

First Grade
Initially I had both feet planted in Madge's camp. I thought this year we have shown some real improvement although it did not reflect on the points table. He also had a injury toll from hell to contend with and more than his fair share of crap calls. The playing group seemed to be behind 100%.

Than I wavered, I thought would he be here in three years time, is he the type of coach to get the next generation of players to the top and could he attract the odd marque player to our club. I know it is Sheens new buzz word, development club, but that is what we have to be to be successful, and I do not think Madge is that type of coach.

Anyway now the raw emotions have subsided I am firmly believe Ciraldo is the man, failing that John Morris

phenisha

Juniors
life is a circle...

Weren't we considered a development club when we brought through brooks / woods / teddy / moses / sue / nofa / etc... How did that end up ?

WA Tiger

Bench
Any faith that an assistant coach can be a good head coach can only be a guess just as it is with noddy..nothing wrong with that ..the only difference between noddys deal and the potential and possibly likely 5 year deal with Ciraldo to lure him to WT is if Ciraldo fails we are well and truly f**ked and we will look more dumber than before (yes it is possible) and qualify for another world first..

let’s hope the 5 years is just a rumour but even a shorter deal may not be pretty. To risk everything on a novice is not clever esp not even giving noddy a fair go before we see what he’s got

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Barret proved he could lure players to the club he coached …. and he showed exquisite attack coach skills. Being part of the Penrith clubs system will mean nothing if Ciraldo comes to WT

Last edited:

The Rosco

Bench
You don't think the GF win was a continuation of the form of the emphatic finals wins and most games of the second half of that season?
Stop it.
Reading that is giving me a semi.
Let me quote my favourite stat from the only highlight in my Magpie/WT fandom . . . . Our average scoreline for every game in the '05 finals series was 33.5-10.
That's more dominant than a mistress in leather standing on your back in high heels while she's whipping your crack.
Aaaand there goes the semi.