What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inaugural ANZAC day cup - first chance for silverware

Dragon

Coach
AUSSIE STADIUM INAUGURAL ANZAC DAY CUP
21 April 2004

On Sunday 25 April at Aussie Stadium, General Peter Cosgrove, AC MC, Chief of the Defence Force will present the inaugural ANZAC Day trophy sponsored by the Sydney Cricket & Sports Ground Trust and Aussie Home Loans to the winning team of the 2004 ANZAC Day NRL match.

The game between the Roosters and the Dragons is in its third year as the Telstra Premiership’s official Anzac Day match. It has become a prestigious event acknowledging past players who served in the war, along with current serving representatives of the armed forces.

With tradition playing a big part in the success of this event, the Trust and the NRL felt that it was deserving of a perpetual trophy to annually commemorate ANZAC Day.

It is expected the two previous crowds of 20,588 and 26,014 in 2002 and 2003 respectively will be exceeded on Sunday, with both teams coming off notable wins last weekend.

Coincidently the Roosters and Dragons will start the game having won one Anzac Day match each, both by the same margin of 24-20.

Gates open at 12.30pm with the first game starting at 1pm. The main game kicks off at 3pm.

Shuttle buses will run from Easts Leagues Club in Spring Street to Aussie Stadium with other shuttle services departing from Chalmers Street near Central Station.

Dragon

Coach
I disagree. Its one thing that i think the NRL should do more of. Take a leaf out of the AFL's book. Theres no better time than the present to start a new tradition, or in this case, add to it.

Southernsaint

Staff member
I'm being pedantic, and beating Souths is like taking candy from a baby, but we did win silverwear earlier in the season - the Charity Shield...

Cheers,
Ben S.

melon....

Coach
I reckon its a great notion. This game is becoming a traditional matchup. The rivalry's always good between the Chooks and Dragons. I reckon it should be recognised and honoured with a trophy.

bazza

Immortal
I think it is good as well - and I would like to see it extended to a few more big rivalries

Collateral

Coach
Yeah I totally agree with Melon, not one ANZAC day class with the Roosters so far has been a bad match, infact they have all been great matches no matter who you support.

Like I said, rewarding a cup for a premiership game defies logic.

Although I guess from now on we can aim for an Anfield treble – The Charity Shield, The ANZAC Cup and the Premiership.

Southernsaint

Staff member
The Sydney Swans play for a Cup of some sort seemingly every week - it devalues the "real" trophies on offer.

I think Melbourne & Auckland play for a cup too, it's a nothing event. If they want to bring back a Cup, bring back the Panasonic Cup!!

Cheers,
Ben S.