What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inglis farce shows Blues bloodline blunder

Knightmare

Coach
Not really. its quite pathetic to be honest. Our games get sold out within the hour.

Also I wouldn't want some nice person playing for my state if he didn't want to (hi jamie lyon you cat). It's a shame this inglis thing popped up no now NSW gets to drop an excuse everytime they lose over the next 10 years. If origin even lasts that long, isnt it dead in NSW?

Interesting. Up to Origin 1, Sydney has had about 40 NRL matches for the fans to spend money on. Brisbane and the Gold Coast (HEARTLAND!!!) has had a total of..........8.

Wonder why it sells out quicker in Brisbane???

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
Wow. There should be a Greg Inglis sticky thread for for NSW merkins to bitch, moan and cry about.

Fair dinkhum, this is just becoming boring guys!

Can't you go back to whinging about; you know, all the other things NSW merkins normally bitch about..... referees, selectors, referees, selectors, bring in golden point, get rid of golden point, play more games in Melbourne, don't play any games in melbourne, referees, selectors etc, etc.

Stupid arrogant sh#ts!

Dazzat

First Grade
Interesting. Up to Origin 1, Sydney has had about 40 NRL matches for the fans to spend money on. Brisbane and the Gold Coast (HEARTLAND!!!) has had a total of..........8.

Wonder why it sells out quicker in Brisbane???

I don't know if you this is a true indicator. Going to a State of Origin match in Queensland is considered completely differently than going to an NRL game ... not even in the same 'league' so to speak.

It would be like comparing going to a U2 concert (State of Origin) to going to a tribute band at the RSL. It's the pinnacle.

At the start of the year, I believe most Queenslanders who intend to go to a SOO would plan to do so and budget accordingly. Most people I know are like that. Going to NRL games is a totally separate issue I believe.

And many Queenslanders who wouldn't typically go to NRL club games, will travel for literally thousands of miles to go to SOO. A large percentage - probably up to 20% of people who go to SOO probably live outside of Brisbane.

So Knightmare ... the number of NRL in Sydney is an issue that impacts on NRL crowd sizes, but NOT on speed of ticket sales at SOO.

panthersballboy

Juniors
What I don't get is the Inglis grew up watching Beetson play Origin so he wants to be a inbred canetoad stuff. When was Inglis born and when did Beetson play his last origin game?

mxlegend99

Referee
Wow. There should be a Greg Inglis sticky thread for for NSW merkins to bitch, moan and cry about.

Fair dinkhum, this is just becoming boring guys!

Can't you go back to whinging about; you know, all the other things NSW merkins normally bitch about..... referees, selectors, referees, selectors, bring in golden point, get rid of golden point, play more games in Melbourne, don't play any games in melbourne, referees, selectors etc, etc.

Stupid arrogant sh#ts!
I agree that it's in the past and is pointless now. Although there's no need to act like a smug dickhead when you would no doubt be one of the first if NSW was to cheat and pick a bloke who should be playing for QLD.

So many hypocrites going out and bagging people for the same stuff they're guilty of. Fans of all teams are always bitching about referees and golden point etc. QLD do so everytime they lose. Fortunately for you guys, that's a rare occurance these days. :x

Serc

First Grade
Very good point you make mr ballboy...hadn't thought of that! I think Inglis was born in 87 (or 88).

Knightmare

Coach
Inglis was born in '87.

Also consider that in Qld, State of Origin in it's current format has been around since 1980. The Broncos, the oldest NRL team in Qld, has only existed since 1988. The oldest NRL clubs in Sydney (Easts and Souths) have been around for 80 years longer than that. That is decades more tradition, decades more to build firm rivalries and family allegiences. Remember as well that Sydney NRL fans are much more likely to follow a Sydney NRL team than an NRL fan in SEQ is likely to follow the Broncos or the Titans. Those people will only get to see their team play locally twice in a year. Means more money to save readily for those Origin tickets!

As a side note, last year I got two re-released tickets to Origin 2 at Suncorp. I asked three of my mates (all League fans and Qlders born and bred) if they wanted the other ticket. They were all lukewarm about it. Then another mate of mine, an American (an AMERICAN) found out and was dead keen right from the moment he found out there was a ticket up for grabs on my behalf. This is why I laugh when some people on here claim that Qlders would sell their grandparents to slavery for Origin tickets while Sydneysiders would rather watch the test pattern on telly than attend Origin.

El Diablo

Post Whore
how many times did they sell out ANZ when Origin was played there?

had a quick look and it seems it's zero

Big Pete

Referee
Which is arguably a good comparison because ANZ stadium was/is a sh*t stadium that turned fans off due to Super Scum League.

Suncorp on the other hand is one of the best stadiums in all of Rugby League and going to watch a game of State of Origin has a special allure to it.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Which is arguably a good comparison because ANZ stadium was/is a sh*t stadium that turned fans off due to Super Scum League.

Suncorp on the other hand is one of the best stadiums in all of Rugby League and going to watch a game of State of Origin has a special allure to it.

Well this is the whole issue that has plagued Sydney RL since 1999. Olympic stadium (ANZ) has some good seats, some OK seats and the rest are absolutly terrible. Who would want to spend their hard earned cash to go and watch the RL jewel from a seat that you can barely see the game from. I for one can see why these games dont get sold out and it has little to do with a supposed lack of NSW passion.

Big Pete

Referee
Which is why I don't blame Sydneysiders for not producing sell out's to Origin games. Having been to ANZ (Olympic Stadium) a few years ago I found it was much more difficult getting there than it was getting to Suncorp and the seating wasn't much better. Not to mention Suncorp is essentially a cultural Queensland icon and it carries a long lasting legacy which attracts big audiences. Sadly Sydney doesn't have that and it's something they should consider for the benefit of their sporting economy.

Just to go on record, the only time I've had problems with Sydney crowds is when they've failed to attract big audiences to International Test games in 06 and 08 (forget the Centenary Test match, the World Cup semi final drew bugger all).

sooperdooper

First Grade
nsw draws larger crowds to origin each year.....end of story!
i dont buy into the whole ANZ stadium being terrible thing... i go there often and people exaggerate it.
The stadium is fine, your just as close as to that of the SFS

Coaster

Bench

Actually Queensland drew a bigger crowd for Origin in

But by all means don't let facts get in the way

Pistol

Coach
i dont buy into the whole ANZ stadium being terrible thing... i go there often and people exaggerate it.
The stadium is fine, your just as close as to that of the SFS

i wish any part of your post was correct but I am afraid you've lucked out, especially with the bolded part

ANZ stadium is only an average place to watch footy and thats only if you're on the lower tier near the ground. Anywhere else is just pissweak

SFS is by far a better stadium as its closer to the action.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Actually Queensland drew a bigger crowd for Origin in

But by all means don't let facts get in the way

:lol:

why mention 80 and 81 when there were no games played in NSW?

both games were at Lang Park

checked the last two years and came up with this

2005 is wrong unless you think Lang Park can hold more than 82,389
2007 is wrong unless you think Lang Park can hold more than 79,264

god knows how many other years you've got wrong

i wish any part of your post was correct but I am afraid you've lucked out, especially with the bolded part

ANZ stadium is only an average place to watch footy and thats only if you're on the lower tier near the ground. Anywhere else is just pissweak

SFS is by far a better stadium as its closer to the action.

Couldn't agree more with that.
As much as ANZ gives good crowds, gives us all a greater chance to see a potential sell out, just can't help enjoy the crowds from smaller stadiums alot IMO.

You can hear all of the insults that way...

Big Pete

Referee
Sadly, compared to Suncorp the Sydney Football Stadium is arse. The NRL really needs to address this and needs to upgrade certain stadiums.