What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Origin: England vs Exiles

innsaneink

Referee
How weak is that? 12.20 Mon morn......now I had forgotten all about this game and only heard the result this morning on radio news......I imagine many in my boat, wouldnt be too hard for 9 to replay this tonite at 9.30 or 11.10 instead of some repeat move theyre showing
As it is I'll IQ it and watch sometime on Mon, thankfully no work.

BDGS

Bench
It has the making of something big, whether that happens or not depends on a few things.

clarency

Juniors
I like the ESL admin and think they at least know what they are doing. Was hoping for more than 10k though. Hopefully they'll give it a few more goes and see what happens.

With more close score lines we may see a tri series later on?

Coastbloke

Bench
Obviously I haven't seen it but a couple of things to ask..

It was an England squad without Ellis, Burgess or Widdop - I think they could have made the difference..

Why Headingly..??..Is there scope to play it at a Galpharm or KC type stadium next year..??

BDGS

Bench
Obviously I haven't seen it but a couple of things to ask..

It was an England squad without Ellis, Burgess or Widdop - I think they could have made the difference..

Those players stayed to play in the NRL for their clubs this week, well Ellis and Widdop. Burgess is out injured.

However, it is in the best interest of England to keep those 3 players in the NRL (and Graham next year) to play NRL level week in and week out which will help these players go to another level and will serve their national team greater because of it.

If England can get better against the Exiles, without those 3 stars, the impact of these 3 stars when they do enter the squad for Four Nations and World cup the English National team should be even better with more depth.

Why Headingly..??..Is there scope to play it at a Galpharm or KC type stadium next year..??

They weren't expecting a big crowd, 14k in those venues would be embarrassing at this stage. If/when interest gains in this type of match it will be moved to the bigger venues.

pcpp

Juniors
I think the match was a qualified success.

The match was close, the crowd figure was not the disaster some were predicting, obviously the result was embarrassing for England but they will have learnt something from this.

I don't think the concept has enough strength to bring it to a three match series just yet, I doubt too many people would turn up for a 3rd match dead rubber. I think expansion to a 2 match series with the winner on aggregate should serious be considered for next year, with France v Wales and possibly Ireland and Scotland tests played on the same weekend.

LunarPark

Juniors
I'd love to see it go to a 2 match series. Would be interesting to see how England respond to the loss but as it stands we have to wait until October to see if they actually learn anything from the defeat, which they better or it was completely pointless. 3 games might be going a bit far in terms of interfering with Super league. Having France and Wales playing a two match series on the same weekends as this would be fantastic as well; they're game in the Euro cup last year was really entertaining and I hope they meet as much as possible.

We wanted something better than smashig France and we got it so I find a lot of the negative comments on various forums a bit surprisng. If you want a tougher fixture you've obviously got to be prepared for the possibility of losing.

The Clan

Juniors
I enjoyed the game and the crowd of over 14k suggests there will be an appetite for it as long as the clubs and players continue to back it.

England were without Ellis, Burgess & Widdop as everyone knows but they were also without James Roby and probably the biggest loss was scrum half Danny Brough.

Broughs been the best scrum half in SL by some distance and if he can take that form into an international he will cause problems for any opposition.

One negative from last night was the form of Peacock, Sinfield & Morley who all looked below par, the immediate assumption is that they're past their best and no longer at the level required for Test match football.
I'll wait to see how they respond before passing judgement on that but the signs last night were there for all to see.

As someone said earlier, if you want to create a game that pushes the England team and offers a level somewhere close to a southern hemisphere Test match then you've got to accept that England might lose, otherwise what's the point!

Final point, Steve McNamara isn't the right man for the job and I fear that any benefits we might derive from the NRL based players, the form of Brough and the emergence of some decent backs (McGilveray, Briscoe, S Tomkins etc) will all be wasted by very poor coaching.

Jankuloski

Juniors
The game was good. It was int the balance, the English tried to muscle their way over the Exiles, but the pension squad still have some juice in them :D What let down the English is terrible organization in attack - they didn't put together a set move.

There's lots to learn from this game. I agree that it should be expanded at least to two game series. It might be good for England not to tap themselves on the back for flogging France, but instead to make genuine goals to work on.

England are falling behind Australia and NZ , everyone agrees on that. I think this game is the right way to move forward.

RedVee

First Grade
I hope the RFL don't recoup the money they have used on their completely disproportionate promotional campaign.

Can you expand?

What was the game like, will it be deemed a success, will it be done again next year?

Indeed, from subsequent posts it seems that there is a reserved "positive" vibe.
I asked in the ESL forum, but I'll ask again here, Is there scope to start a RL version of the Barbarians out of the Exiles concept?

deluded pom?

Coach
I haven't seen the game as I'm not a fan of the comcept but I've seen comments about some England players being, shall we say, less than interested. If anything kills this concept it will be player apathy just as it killed the War of the Roses games.

RedVee

First Grade
I haven't seen the game as I'm not a fan of the comcept but I've seen comments about some England players being, shall we say, less than interested. If anything kills this concept it will be player apathy just as it killed the War of the Roses games.

Then maybe like Origen, the embarassment of losing may increase the the interest of the england players.

RedVee

First Grade
NSW must be rabid then if losing heightens the intensity you take into the match. :lol:

talking about the original couple of games were the NSWers went in treating the game as an nothing game. They found out it meant something to the other mob.

BTW no rabies in Aust, we leave that stuff for the old world. :)

Billythekid

First Grade
talking about the original couple of games were the NSWers went in treating the game as an nothing game. They found out it meant something to the other mob.

BTW no rabies in Aust, we leave that stuff for the old world. :)

They realized it meant something to them. They wanted to pretend there was no rivalry but when they started losing they realized how much they cared.