What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International rugby League

carlnz

Bench
Well....

What can I say?? Has this been the best year for International Rugby League ever?

Lots of people saying how other countries are using that grand parent rule to get players to play for their country which makes this a fake sport. Well to all you poofs out they start looking at all the matches being played!!

1. Under 19 world cup at the end of the year.

2. Serbian U19

3. Student RL Championships , England, Wales, Ireland, France, Scotland.

4. Junior Tri series

So far thats 6 countries getting there U19's or students out their playing the game which is producing some hot talent and I tell you waht these teams will be strong by the time the Rugby Legaue World Cup comes at the end of the 2008.

For the Under 19 World Cup at the end of the year, you have those teams above PLUS Russia, Australia, NZ, PNG and maybe the USA and some Pacific sides. These countries are getting out there and doing it themselevs and not waiting on handouts from RILF or NRL or Australian players.

So far in The Internationals this year,

We have seen Tomahawks thrash Ireland, Tonga play bloody well against Canberra, plus a good showing at the World Sevens..........We have Russia Touring the deap south of NZ, We had USA touring Australia, plus Tonga...There are so many matches beiong played its unreal...

You have got Countries putting up their own websites...(well done Japan...now make it in english!!)

And wow isnt it cool you countries like PNG challanging Australia to a game...so to USA?? I bet you Russia would play them too!!!

End of the day it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that International Rugby League its moving forward in leaps and bounds....And the Rugby League World Cup 2008 willbe the best and cloest world cup ever....

dimitri

First Grade
i have to say even without a competent rlif this seems to be the best year for international league in a while

Wests is Best

Juniors
In the developing nations, things are really looking good. Hopefully by 2008 (world cup) and beyond these teams will push each other to higher levels where they can begin to compete with the top ranked sides! At this stage though just having competitions in countries such as Tonga, New Caledonia, and hopefully soon in Greece (just to name a few) is great, and in years to come they will bare fruit

In-goal

Bench
Hopefully this years tri series will be a raging success in front of massive crowds lining the pockets of both the RFL and the RLIF to help further develop the game around the globe.

YANTO

Juniors
More for your callender

Rotterdam Challenge Cup August 2004

Aug 3rd
Holland u/19 v Scotland u/19
Holland v Scotland Students

Aug 5th
Scotland u/19 v Serbia u/19
Scotland Students v Serbia

Aug 8th
Holland u/19 v Serbia u/19
Holland v Serbia

Also friendlies games.

Aug 5th
Holland A v England Students A
Holland v England Students

Aug 8th
International X111 v England Students

Aug 7th ,
18 team International Nines with sides from Serbia,France,Morocco,West Indies,England,Scotland and Holland all part of the week long ROTTERDAM INTERNATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE FESTIVAL.
Website coming SOOOOOOOOOOOOON

screeny

Bench
Amazing work Yanto and your cohorts, fingers crossed for you and the code that it's a success

ali

Bench
Isn't it meant to be for under 16's? Anyway it supposedly going to be in Moscow and is going to financed by the Moscow council. I've heard either late this year or some time next year. Hopefully it doesn't go the way of many other proposed RL tournaments, but the Russians have a fairly good record of delivering the goods.

YANTO

Juniors
Under 16 group.
Planned for June/July 2005 in Moscow with the full backing of Moscow City and also the possible support of TV for the final stages.
Two week tournament with between 10-16 Nations,

mat_parsons

Juniors
I think that there should be body established and named International Rugby League Federation who should host World Cup in RL and promote the game with few bucks like IRU does. Also help is needed in many countries where game is still fresh.

At least someone should put up a website that provide information (results, news, pictures, links) regarding international scene and all those countries that play RL. May this stand as invitation for that.

Alan Shore

First Grade
New Caledonia is promising in particular. By the time RLWC2008 rolls around, there should be at least one French Test player from Nouvelle Caledonie.

ali

Bench
Hopefully Dimitri Pelo will keep his allegances with the French aswell. Although they can't quite claim him as a home grown product, but maybe he can become big in New Caledonia if he has a successful NRL career.

Which could be starting this coming weekend.

Things are definately on the up at the lower end of the scale. Things keep getting better in Russia, and the news regarding Canada and Ukraine is very encouraging. We still need plenty of effort though to change attitudes involving the big 3, and inparticular the over emphasis on club footy in England and Aus. And our lack of help to a potential big RL nation, PNG, is still scandelous.

But things are far better than post the 2000 World Cup. This equivilent forum in late 2000, 2001 and some of 2002 was nothing but doom and gloom. These days positive posts are more the norm.

mat_parsons

Juniors
Jeffles said:
There already is such a group. The problem is that they are under-resourced.

I didn't know that until today. They certainly don't do their job as good as IRU. Do they have website?

griff

Bench
Tamazoid said:
New Caledonia is promising in particular. By the time RLWC2008 rolls around, there should be at least one French Test player from Nouvelle Caledonie.

Yep, and it would be good to see France's opening WC game against a minor nation to be in Noumea to really build on the interest there and send a message about the international growth of RL to the media and general public.

screeny

Bench
How many people can the Noumea stadium fit, Griff?

Agreed, it would be quite a memorable spectacle having the French national team visit one of the old empire's most distant but loyal outposts. One gets the feeling that the islanders would put an enormous amount of preparation time into ensuring a real festival atmosphere dominated the island in the build up to such a game - a perfect way to get the tournament off to a great start oozing with good feeling and optimism. Comparable, I would hazard a guess, at the great day in Carcassonne v Tonga on All Saints day in 2000.

However, would it be cost effective and would the RLIF have the vision to contemplate such a bold move? How long a flight is New Cal from Sydney?

griff

Bench
screeny said:
How many people can the Noumea stadium fit, Griff?

Agreed, it would be quite a memorable spectacle having the French national team visit one of the old empire's most distant but loyal outposts. One gets the feeling that the islanders would put an enormous amount of preparation time into ensuring a real festival atmosphere dominated the island in the build up to such a game - a perfect way to get the tournament off to a great start oozing with good feeling and optimism. Comparable, I would hazard a guess, at the great day in Carcassonne v Tonga on All Saints day in 2000.

However, would it be cost effective and would the RLIF have the vision to contemplate such a bold move? How long a flight is New Cal from Sydney?

I've never been able to find out how big the stadium is - I've done a little bit of research but can't find much info. But New Cal has a pretty high population and is virtually first world living standards (for Noumea anyway) so they would have some decent facilities.

I'm not sure about most loyal outpost as I know they had some Kanak terrorist groups in the 80s who were fighting for independence. That seems to have died down now and there is no doubt French and Kanaks would get behind the game and deliver a great atmosphere.

I think it would be cost effective - it would be worth it as France could fly in a week or two earlier to do some development work with the locals. Hotel and flight bills wouldn't be much more than any other city in Aus/NZ/PNG.

New Caledonia is sort of out of mind of most people. Them being French-speaking we don't have much to do with them, but it is closer than most people think. Sydney to Noumea is about the same distance as Sydney to Auckland.

I doubt the RLIF would even think of it, but France v Fiji in Noumea a crowd of 10,000 people would not be out of the question, compared to France v Fiji in Sydney getting maybe 2,000.

hgfds

Juniors
I dont think we will see any initatives for the world cup,the main stadium is 10,000 capacity which in monetary terms equals 30,000 for oz in monetary terms,there are direct flights between paris and nouema and they may be subsidised as a lot of french products are in newcal[maybe the french government can help here as they are keen to put up a good show as the issue of independence has not been fully resolved].Also newcal regularly wins the south pac games due to their higher living standards so expect them to develop fast are they still going to nz this year.

mat_parsons

Juniors
How many countries will participate?

If we get 20-25 countries in RLWC it would be laugh to watch Australia vs Serbia or Australia vs Holland. The margin will be over 200.