What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet speed

Spudd

Juniors
What's a good speed?
Not on NBN yet.
Our wifi is slow af lately.
Ping 48
Download 12.2
Upload 1.27

Same test on the 4G network;
Ping 57
Download 98.6
Upload 20.9

Does this seem normal?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The speed test looks about right for an average ADSL2 connection. The average over all fixed line connections in Australia is 11.1Mbps according to a recent survey.

Parra

Referee
Why run?

I find Telstra fast and reliable. Good communication and support. They are expensive though.

For mobile there isn't another choice unless you just want cheap. If price is your priority then go with other isp's or telcos.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Why run?

I find Telstra fast and reliable. Good communication and support. They are expensive though.

For mobile there isn't another choice unless you just want cheap. If price is your priority then go with other isp's or telcos.

Largely depends where you live and travel I reckon for mobile. Optus are fast and good value if you're in their 4G area but coverage drops off fast outside of the big cities. But you still get at least 3G in most places unless you're starting to get remote. Telstra all the way if you're out in the country a lot though. For fixed line I think there are far better options as performance is largely dependant on the line type and quality rather than the isp.

Incorrect

Coach
I'm getting ~12Mb/s downloads since we moved in our new place in May. Which will have to suffice, and does, until the NBN is rolled out to our street in the first half of 2018.

Internode (a subsidiary of TPG) have a good reputation for service, performance and reliability and I am thinking of signing up with them once the NBN is available. Anyone use them?

@Spudd - I think your current speeds are about as good as it's going to get tbh....

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It totally depends on your phone line quality. ADSL can vary from around 20Mbit/s if you're close to the exchange and your wiring is good to less than 5Mbit/s if you're a long way from the exchange or have lousy copper. Telstra will regard pretty much anything in that range as acceptable now until the NBN upgrade reaches your property. 12Mbit would always be deemed okay.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Why run?

NBN is almost in my area. Can't wait to ditch them.

Your experience is pretty much the complete opposite of mine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not deluded to think that the other telcos are any better. Much like banks, if they can screw you they will. At the moment though Telstra is the only one to have tried to rip me off while providing inadequate service so bye bye to them.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It e truely depends on your phone line quality. ADSL can vary from around 20Mbit/s if you're close to the exchange and your wiring is good to less than 5Mbit/s if you're a long way from theechsnfe or have lousy copper. Telstra will regard pretty much anything in that range as acceptable now until the NBN upgrade reaches your property. 12Mbit would always be deemed okay

I would be estatic with 5Mbits/s.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I would be estatic with 5Mbits/s.

I was in Leichhardt around 2011 and remember only getting 1Mbit when we first connected. A month of dealing with the ISP and Telstra techs and a visit from the tech to fix some shit wiring got it up to 4Mbit. At least that street got NBN connected a year or two back though.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
1Mbit sounds like a treat on some days. When you can't get through a youtube video on 720p without buffering then something is wrong - according to logic, but not Telstra.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
1Mbit sounds like a treat on some days. When you can't get through a youtube video on 720p without buffering then something is wrong - according to logic, but not Telstra.

You need a LOT more than 1Mbit for 720p streaming, For example Netflix reccomend 8Mbit/s for HD streaming. At 1Mbit you'd be lucky to get a stream at the lowest quality setting.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
You need a LOT more than 1Mbit for 720p streaming, For example Netflix reccomend 8Mbit/s for HD streaming. At 1Mbit you'd be lucky to get a stream at the lowest quality setting.

Welcome to my bad days.

If I shut down all other devices, don't browse or use wifi in any other way I can netflix standard definition without a prob on most days which is enough to stop me going completely nuts.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Jeebus!

Where do you live KTF??? Have you got running water and plumbing yet???

Plenty of places in the cities with shit copper or a few km from the local exchange that are still stuck on terrible adsl connections still waiting for the NBN to reach them