What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Latrell Mitchell overrated?

As thread title

• Yes

Votes: 77 83.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 16.3%

• Total voters
Hold on, it says Cody was called a dog. Is that going to be retroactively turned into a racist term now?

seems long

well it’s a crime being reported by a single person who doesn’t know who the person was and the person had disappeared when the cops supposedly arrived.

so forgive some of us if we wait for a bit more evidence than some chick going on a rant on their socials

According to the report on this in the SMH, the complainant first spoke to the individual who was leading the comments and asked him to stop. This was after it had occurred a 5th time. When said perpetrator declined to desist, the person spoke to a security guard at the round. The Security guard wouldn't take any action, in fact he wanted to punt the complainant instead. that's what prompted the complainant to speak to police who were at the ground, but by then they could not locate the alleged offender.

If this report is accurate, then that security guard might find himself in some hot water, at the very least, with his/her employer.

Opinion: I heard the disgusting racial abuse hurled at Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker​

The horrid racial tirade directed at Latrell Mitchell and the pile-on from nearby spectators left fans feeling unsafe in scenes that should never be repeated, TYSON JACKSON writes.

It was pouring rain as I stood on the hill at suburban Kogarah alongside three mates on Saturday night, in the hope of enjoying some footy.
But from the minute South Sydney players ran out onto the field to take on St George Illawarra, it was obvious some fans had sinister intentions.
In a situation both NSW Police and the NRL are now investigating, fans from both teams started an onslaught of racial comments directed at Indigenous stars Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker.
Before a ball had even been kicked, one of the first remarks was so disgustingly derogatory, this masthead has elected not to publish it.
What was more shocking was that it prompted raucous laughter and cheers from a group of so-called fans who were surrounding the man who made it.
To make matters worse, standing beside me was one of my mates, a proud Indigenous man. We looked at him, trying to gauge how uncomfortable he was made to feel in the situation.
He was instantly upset.
He was heavily intimidated by the number of people around us who were joining in on the racist ‘jokes’.
And rightfully so.

Looking back to see where these comments were coming, we were stunned as we saw fans wearing Rabbitohs jerseys and scarfs, joining in on the abuse hurled towards their own players from some Dragons supporters.
As the game progressed, more racial slurs poured from the mouths of spectators on the hill.
We had a discussion between our group about whether we would respond to the abuse the players were copping.
My mate, who was already visibly upset, told us not to bother.
“It won’t be good for us,” he said.
My friend is an avid fan of rugby league, and it really hit home when he told me he did not feel safe standing there on the hill as people disrespected his culture and heritage.
How could people say things so abhorrent in public, let alone even think that way, in 2024?
Despite that, he insisted we push through the first half, as we had good spots on the hill, and he was hopeful the racial slurs would stop.
But they didn’t.
When Ben Hunt put up a towering bomb, someone yelled, as we waited for the ball to come down: “Hit the a... c...”
When Mitchell made a tackle, another man shouted: “Get off him, ya filthy c...”

The onslaught continued to the point where we opted to get off the hill for the second half.
My friend, though, had heard enough and headed for the exit. Two of our mates joined him.
By all reports, the racist slurs from the hill somehow got worse in the second half as the Dragons got the better of the Rabbitohs.
There will be fans that come after me saying things like “it was only a small section of fans”, “you shouldn't have sat there” or “if he can’t take, it don’t come,” but that is completely the wrong response.
Heckling can be a fun part of the game, both on and off the field. But when it comes to racism, the line is very clearly drawn. There needs to be zero tolerance.
Souths fans are rightfully upset their team is running last. But nothing justifies what players and supporters were subjected to on Saturday night.
It is not lighthearted banter or a bit of fun with mates.
It affects the players mentally.
It affects supporters watching from the sideline, who are there to see a good game of footy.
It also affects young Indigenous kids, desperate to emulate their heroes and one day take the field themselves.
For 80 minutes on Saturday night, a section of supporters, allegedly there to cheer on their own team, threw human decency out the window.

I heard the disgusting racial abuse hurled at Latrell Mitchell

Penrith fan

Juniors
Unless you have names and video evidence etc, it is very hard.

But from the second count, it sounds like it was most people at the game both Dragons and Rabbits hurling abuse.

Opinion: I heard the disgusting racial abuse hurled at Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker​

The horrid racial tirade directed at Latrell Mitchell and the pile-on from nearby spectators left fans feeling unsafe in scenes that should never be repeated, TYSON JACKSON writes.

It was pouring rain as I stood on the hill at suburban Kogarah alongside three mates on Saturday night, in the hope of enjoying some footy.
But from the minute South Sydney players ran out onto the field to take on St George Illawarra, it was obvious some fans had sinister intentions.
In a situation both NSW Police and the NRL are now investigating, fans from both teams started an onslaught of racial comments directed at Indigenous stars Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker.
Before a ball had even been kicked, one of the first remarks was so disgustingly derogatory, this masthead has elected not to publish it.
What was more shocking was that it prompted raucous laughter and cheers from a group of so-called fans who were surrounding the man who made it.
To make matters worse, standing beside me was one of my mates, a proud Indigenous man. We looked at him, trying to gauge how uncomfortable he was made to feel in the situation.
He was instantly upset.
He was heavily intimidated by the number of people around us who were joining in on the racist ‘jokes’.
And rightfully so.

Looking back to see where these comments were coming, we were stunned as we saw fans wearing Rabbitohs jerseys and scarfs, joining in on the abuse hurled towards their own players from some Dragons supporters.
As the game progressed, more racial slurs poured from the mouths of spectators on the hill.
We had a discussion between our group about whether we would respond to the abuse the players were copping.
My friend is an avid fan of rugby league, and it really hit home when he told me he did not feel safe standing there on the hill as people disrespected his culture and heritage.
How could people say things so abhorrent in public, let alone even think that way, in 2024?
Despite that, he insisted we push through the first half, as we had good spots on the hill, and he was hopeful the racial slurs would stop.
But they didn’t.
When Ben Hunt put up a towering bomb, someone yelled, as we waited for the ball to come down: “Hit the a... c...”

The onslaught continued to the point where we opted to get off the hill for the second half.
My friend, though, had heard enough and headed for the exit. Two of our mates joined him.
By all reports, the racist slurs from the hill somehow got worse in the second half as the Dragons got the better of the Rabbitohs.
There will be fans that come after me saying things like “it was only a small section of fans”, “you shouldn't have sat there” or “if he can’t take, it don’t come,” but that is completely the wrong response.
Heckling can be a fun part of the game, both on and off the field. But when it comes to racism, the line is very clearly drawn. There needs to be zero tolerance.
Souths fans are rightfully upset their team is running last. But nothing justifies what players and supporters were subjected to on Saturday night.
It affects supporters watching from the sideline, who are there to see a good game of footy.
It also affects young Indigenous kids, desperate to emulate their heroes and one day take the field themselves.
For 80 minutes on Saturday night, a section of supporters, allegedly there to cheer on their own team, threw human decency out the window.

Cripes, that's even worse than I'd heard. This kind of stuff doesn't belong in rugby league, let alone wider society. No one should be subjected to this kind of garbage.

SBD82

Coach

He was instantly upset.
And rightfully so.

But they didn’t.

Jesus Christ. What sort of supporter yells racist shit at their own players. That’s a special kind of merkin behaviour.

And f**k those Dragons fans. Hope every single one of them is identified and banned for life.

Danish

Referee
Yes let’s all take the word of a news corp gutter journalist as gospel everyone. No need for verification or anything, he’s got first hand accounts of him and his anonymous indigenous friend (because he is not racist you see).

if someone is shouting out that shit at Kogarah it will be easily picked up on the crowd mics. You can hear individual taunts all the time in suburban grounds. So let’s wait till someone who doesn’t have clicks to farm comes out with some actual evidence

Yes let’s all take the word of a news corp gutter journalist as gospel everyone. No need for verification or anything, he’s got first hand accounts of him and his anonymous indigenous friend (because he is not racist you see).

if someone is shouting out that shit at Kogarah it will be easily picked up on the crowd mics. You can hear individual taunts all the time in suburban grounds. So let’s wait till someone who doesn’t have clicks to farm comes out with some actual evidence

Mate it has been similarly reported by the SMH. I 'm no fan of News Ltd, but that does not discount the reporting on this occasion as necessarily being a News Ltd "smear".

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member

you really hate victims don't you

Danish

Referee
Mate it has been similarly reported by the SMH. I no fan of News Ltd, but that does not discount the reporting on this occasion as necessarily being a News Ltd "smear".

yes I am aware many news outlets have written the same article based off 1 person’s initial complaint. A complaint that didn’t mention any of the stuff this bloke is piling in claiming to have also heard from the same people.

yobbo84

Coach

Hi Spencer

Frailty

First Grade

For what benefit would someone make this (the original complaint) up?