What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

gerg

Juniors
Honestly anyone defending what Ricky said needs their head examined .

regardless of what Salmon said or did as a 10 year old , there’s really no excuse for Stuart’s description of him in a press conference.

If Salmon didn’t kick starling would Stuart have mentioned any of this ? From what Stuart says it’s been a huge issue for him and his family….. what ? was he waiting to unleash it next time ?

Stuart is full of shit , there’s no justification for his comments

‘Paul Kent’s reasoning was laughable and it’s an actual disgrace he’s employed to cover the nrl , when it comes to Stuart , hes so far up him they are almost the same person .

a 20k fine and 1 match suspension is absolutely no punishment at all if that’s what he gets

I liked how Kent asserted that what happened was so serious that even the integrity unit wouldn't go public with it. And that is enough to warrant the comments.

I imagine Ricky probably insisted that it not be made public, but more importantly I don't think the integrity unit makes any of their investigations public.

Speaking on Triple M Breakfast with MG, Jess & Pagey, Panthers legend Mark Geyer blasted Stuart.

“They’re pretty harsh words,” Geyer said. “This is unprecedented for mine, I have never seen a press conference like that and there’s a reason we don’t see it, because you’re not allowed to say what he said, quite simply.

“There are stories that have come out about what happened 12 years ago in an under-12’s game in 2010, which involved Ricky Stuart’s son and Jaeman Salmon. I get that, I was a coach once myself, but they were 11 years of age.

“Now that he’s said this, he’s brought in Salmon’s family, who want an explanation of why. Basically ‘we haven’t seen him for 12 years, what’s going on? How can you say this about our son?’

“I don’t get Ricky Stuart’s side. I really don’t. He’s a 55-year-old male who’s coached 500 games, he’s been in the game so long, and if that was his son, how would he feel if someone said that about his son?

“The NRL have no option. I’m afraid they have no option, there is a precedent that needs to be set. If a coach or player goes out next weekend, I want them deterred from saying something so bad about a person.

“It’s not because I’m a Penrith ex-player, if this was anyone … people saying I’m biased, I’m not biased, I’m just putting myself in the situation of the Salmon family. If that was my son I’d be filthy. I’d be knocking on his door the next day.

“I think he’s got to be suspended, for the first time ever in NRL history, a coach has to be suspended for his after-match comments about a player.”

LOL MG the bastion of good virtue.

He probably should've got a life ban for threatening to burn a touch judges house down, but be didn't.

Incorrect

Coach
I have been leaked a copy of the transcript of the convo between Sticky and the Integrity Unit...

Mr Stuart – “The weak gutted dog person called my son a talentless mincer who was only the team because his Dad was Ricky Stuart”

NRL Integrity Unit Rep – “When he was 12 years old yes?”
Mr Stuart – “Yes”

NRL Integrity Unit Rep – “I see…. And what else happened? What else did he do or say?”
Mr Stuart – “He made some derogatory comments about my daughter and my other son”

NRL Integrity Unit Rep – “When he was 12 years old yes?”
Mr Stuart – “Yes”

NRL Integrity Unit Rep – “And what else has happened in the ensuing years? Has he continued to slander and ridicule you and your family?”
Mr Stuart – “Well… No…”

NRL Integrity Unit Rep – “So nothing since he was 12 years old, correct?”
Mr Stuart – “No, I guess not…. But he kicked Starling in the plums on Saturday night”

NRL Integrity Unit Rep – “Are you the full quid mate? Get the f**k outta here and tell your story walking pal”

Bazal

Post Whore
Nobody is arguing that Ricky was right to use the platform of the NRL to air his grievances against Salmon.

The fact is that nobody in here knows what Salmon did to Ricky's kids, so people should probably stop pretending that they do.

I mean I think the fact is that, short of something incredibly serious, there is nothing that justifies a grown ass man hating a small child for over a decade. And the evidence weighs against anything incredibly serious

Hey qc, its serious harm to the reputation.

Its like youve never read up on defamation before

It doesn't even necessarily have to be serious. Just that it injures a person in their reputation. But again I doubt it would be worth litigation in this case

betcats

Referee
Kents defence is reallly the only thing possible to say. Insinuate it was something so bad that happened between a couple of little kids that Rickys outburst is justified, refuse to give any details and just insinuate the shit out of it that way he can make it seem like itwas a crime against humanity committed by little 11 year old Salmon but he doesnt have to back it up with any facts or evidence due to Rickys integrity, gutter journalism at its finest easily seen through by anyone not desperate for a reason to defend Ricky.

Floodwaters

Juniors
Kents defence is reallly the only thing possible to say. Insinuate it was something so bad that happened between a couple of little kids that Rickys outburst is justified, refuse to give any details and just insinuate the shit out of it that way he can make it seem like itwas a crime against humanity committed by little 11 year old Salmon but he doesnt have to back it up with any facts or evidence due to Rickys integrity, gutter journalism at its finest easily seen through by anyone not desperate for a reason to defend Ricky.

He pretty much said what it was without saying what it was, I dare say Salmon called his daughter a spastic or genius a few times which isn't good but kids throw those words around all the time.

I have to repeat, Ricky is gold.

Let those without sin, cast the first stone.

He hasn’t murdered anyone. Just called a bloke a flog for kicking and trying to hurt someone.

Not the most thoughtful of expression but otherwise, a deserved and appropriate criticism.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
I think if he just called it a dog act, there wouldn't have been much said about it, would have got his point across without controversy.

That is it, infact I would applaud that. We need more hate in the game but this is just a coward attack

betcats

Referee
I have to repeat, Ricky is gold.

Let those without sin, cast the first stone.

He hasn’t murdered anyone. Just called a bloke a flog for kicking and trying to hurt someone.

Not the most thoughtful of expression but otherwise, a deserved and appropriate criticism.

Are you saying Ricky has committed no sin? If not maybe he should keep his stones to himself instead of making himself look like a f**kwit.

Iamback

Coach
He pretty much said what it was without saying what it was, I dare say Salmon called his daughter a spastic or genius a few times which isn't good but kids throw those words around all the time.

Most if not all of us here have played footy growing, There was always that one or several players thinking they were better than everyone. Often they had older siblings in NRL systems etc, The son of a current NRL coach. Would be no different, So why yes it is wrong IF Salmon said that. I highly doubt he just walked up to him for no reason and said it.

This is not the 1st time Salmon has played Ricky, So why not approach him after the game and discuss it then. If he says it to Salmon's face there is no issue. As it gives him the right of reply

YoungPanther

Juniors
Are you suggesting that Ricky no longer believes Salmon is a weak gutted dog person?

The apology was for causing a media circus and getting his own family involved.
I believe Ricky definitely stands by what he said. That isn't the issue.

You just can't say that about someone in public. It is pure bullying and defamatory.

Try saying that to anyone in a pub and see what reaction you get.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Ricky 5 steps ahead of the plebs. His team gets flogged by a undermanned Penrith and no one is talking about his continued mediocrity as a coach.

betcats

Referee
Ricky 5 steps ahead of the plebs. His team gets flogged by a undermanned Penrith and no one is talking about his continued mediocrity as a coach.

I read yesterday he has missed the finals 11 out of his last 15 seasons or something like that so he isnt completely escaping notice.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Classic Kent in that interview - The Raiders will fire up next weekend in support of Ricky. Just like they did last week.

Kent was getting so angry that he was going to burst a vessel. All over what a 12 year old did 10 years ago.

Latest posts