What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

nick87

Coach
Once you get past the age of wanting to go out and get trashed every weekend, Canberra's a great place to settle down and raise a family, way better than the cesspit that is Sydney.

The problem is, most footy players aren't past that age yet so Canberra isn't as attractive a destination as Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane.

Probably why we have a lot of ex-Knights - after living in Newcastle, Canberra seems like paradise.
100%
I've lived in the eastern suburbs in my early 20's and i moved to Canberra because of my wifes job but we were ready to do that whole marriage/started a family thing, and it's spot on.
Canberra is a genuinely awesome place to raise a family. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else... but those carefree years knocking about Coogee/Bondi with my then GF now wife was a bloody good time, and if you came to me at 21 and asked me to move to Canberra i'd have told you to kick rocks.

The way the club is doing it now is the right way. Get the kids in here early, and hope they form an attachment to the club and mates and stick around long term

Frailty

First Grade
I don't mind Canberra (great breweries i.e. Bentspoke and Capital), but it can be quite feral heading for a night out to be honest. It was really quite surprising how bad it was - worse than anything I've seen in Sydney or Melbourne. Granted, it was Australia Day long weekend so that may have impacted things...

As for Stuart, it's quite telling there are only 5 current coaches that have a tenure of more than 5 years at their current clubs. 3 of them have 3 premierships. The other two have been with their clubs for over 10 years with 0 premierships and 1 grand final appearance - Stuart and Arthur.

gerg

Juniors
Trust me Canberra is colder than London, Sweeden, Southern New Zealand, Northern Ireland and Chicago which is known as the windy city.

Canberra has a certain coldness that gets into your bones.

Canberra colder than those places? That's hilarious. Where exactly have you lived overseas?

gerg

Juniors
Absolutely. FMD Orange is colder than Canberra.

He's probably one of those special people that travel to Canberra in the middle of winter with a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, complains about the cold. But then goes to Chicago, knows how f***ing cold it is there and takes his puffer jacket and thermal underwear.

Penrith fan

Juniors
Canberra is a shit hole. It has its own special coldness in winter. A "frigidness". Colder than Northern England, where I lived for 3 years.

Canberra deserves it's "Boring, Soulless, Sterile" reputation. Canberra is sort of the mullet haircut of Australian cities. There is a reason Ricky Stuart will be coach for life. That is because no other coach wants to go there.

Being basically a city full of public servants; all of the outrageous gay/lesbian wife swapping and drug taking type behaviours all occur out of sight (otherwise you lose your job). It's there alright, but you've got to be in it, to know about it.

By and large the public service attracts people who have a strong social conscience and believe in science and data - i.e people with Aspergers. People like that don't like loud noises and bright lights and are more interested in a tour of a museum or art gallery followed by a nice meal with a glass of Chablis.

Perhaps "mullet" isn't quite the right term - perhaps "mullet with a ponytail" might be more appropriate.

Personally, I love Canberra.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Trust me Canberra is colder than London, Sweeden, Southern New Zealand, Northern Ireland and Chicago which is known as the windy city.

Canberra has a certain coldness that gets into your bones.
I would say Canberra gets colder than London, not sure about the others. London really isn't that cold though...

mongoose

Coach
Canberra is a shit hole. It has its own special coldness in winter. A "frigidness". Colder than Northern England, where I lived for 3 years.

Canberra deserves it's "Boring, Soulless, Sterile" reputation. Canberra is sort of the mullet haircut of Australian cities. There is a reason Ricky Stuart will be coach for life. That is because no other coach wants to go there.

Being basically a city full of public servants; all of the outrageous gay/lesbian wife swapping and drug taking type behaviours all occur out of sight (otherwise you lose your job). It's there alright, but you've got to be in it, to know about it.

By and large the public service attracts people who have a strong social conscience and believe in science and data - i.e people with Aspergers. People like that don't like loud noises and bright lights and are more interested in a tour of a museum or art gallery followed by a nice meal with a glass of Chablis.

Perhaps "mullet" isn't quite the right term - perhaps "mullet with a ponytail" might be more appropriate.

Personally, I love Canberra.
Canberra definitely has a level of sophistication about it, not a place for toothless penrith bogans.

If Raiders were full strength, they have a decent roster and Ricky has invested in the future signing some quality 18/19 year olds, Strange and Weekes are good players. I can't understand why Savage isn't given a good crack at fullback though, I think he'd go well.

Penrith fan

Juniors
Canberra definitely has a level of sophistication about it, not a place for toothless penrith bogans.

Canberrans are all conservative until they get to a party where you might find a government minister or head of Treasury dressed up like they are in the Rocky Horror Show.

Most Canberrans swing both ways so you might find they have a wife/husband, a male lover and a female lover and they all seem to live together in this tight little community. All behind closed doors. Thats when the high-priced drugs come out and it becomes debauchery city.

Canberra is much more private about stuff. Social things tend to have fewer people and are invite only. The public service is fairly conservative, even though everyone has all sorts of weird hobbies, so everyone is hesitant to tell their co-workers about their weird hobbies (even though they all have them as far as I can tell).

If you live in a place, you are setup there, you have your veggie garden, shed, home gaming setup, home cinema setup, or whatever tickles your fancy. Most of your time is spent at work, after work most people in most cities do the same stuff, cook dinner, watch tv whatever. You have your lovers that you visit for carnal sex and the people you want to be seen with to improve your careers.

Canberra rocks but behind closed doors.

Bruce Lehrmann and Brittany Higgins just showed us a little behind the curtains of the debauchery that goes on every day in our capital city.

Latest posts