What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Riddell getting the boot?

Blade

Juniors
You can never be certain of the authenticity of what the Daily Telegraph/Sunday Telegraph reports.

Even though Brown and Thompson make quotes in the article below, I don't see any evidence of the story title being anything more than an assumption.

Dragons fans? Any inside info?

Dragons ready to sack young star

EXCLUSIVE by CAMERON BELL

15th Jun '03

DRAGONS hooker Mark Riddell is in danger of being shown the door at the club unless his attitude on and off the field improves.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned the Dragons coaching staff have given Riddell his final warning – start applying yourself or find another club.

The frank meeting between Riddell and the coaching staff of Nathan Brown, Laurie Daley and David Barnhill came on the back of Riddell letting himself down with his weight and application to his football.

"We had a good talk to 'Piggy' and he knows exactly where he stands with us," Brown said.

"Potentially, we all know Mark can be a great player but he has to realise that attitude and commitment go with it.

"He has been up and down of late and we want Piggy to be playing really good, consistent football every week.

"We are about building a team where everyone puts in 100 per cent whether they have all the potential in the world or not.

"If you have one person whose attitude isn't what it should be, that can be a bit like a cancer."

Dragons captain, the inspirational Lance Thompson, has urged Riddell to get his head down and concentrate on his football.

"Mark is a tremendous player and a tremendous person, but he is not focusing on his rugby league as much as he should be," the straight-talking Thompson said.

"I've said this to him and he knows I don't pull any punches.

"He should be talking more about his footy and putting his head down and working hard on that.

"If he does, I've got no doubt he is going to be in the limelight for all the right reasons because he's a very good player."

Club insiders say Riddell has again put the weight on, and has "his head in the clouds" because he is living the good life rather than that of a dedicated first-grade footballer.

Riddell told The Sunday Telegraph yesterday he was prepared to put his head down and work his way back into the starting line-up.

He strongly denied rumours he had been walking around at training, telling team-mates he will be playing for the Sharks or Souths next year.

"I've got another year on my contract with the Dragons and I'm sure that I'm going to be seeing that out," Riddell said.

"I'm very happy where I am and Dousty (CEO Peter Doust) and Brownie both know that. My form has been down over the past few weeks . . . I haven't been playing at my best.

"Brownie told me that but I knew it. He said Dean Young has been going well and would add enthusiasm to the team. It's up to me to fight my way back."

Riddell denied his weight had again ballooned.

"My weight is where I want it to be," he said. "I don't know where all these rumours come from, maybe people like to make things up about me . . . I don't know."

Riddell said his altercation with Andrew Johns on Friday night was simply "a bit of sledging".

"It's all over now, all it was was sledging . . . from both of us," he said.

The Dragons, meanwhile, face the prospect of losing Thompson, who was knocked out twice in the opening minutes against the Knights.

"I've got a little cheekbone fracture and I'll get some scans done on Monday and get it checked," he said.

"I played almost the entire game with it on Friday, so I don't see how it can be a problem.

"I've been really happy with the way I've been playing and hopefully, if I keep that form up, I might get a Blue jersey one of these days."

Blade

Juniors
The story reported from:

sundaymasthead.gif

HERE

Anonymous

Juniors
I saw him being quietly brow beaten by a club official in the Leagues Club after the loss to the Cowboys. He has since been demoted the bench.

When in form, there is no better dummy-half runner than Mark Riddell but lately, he hasn't been in form and it shows.

There are some issues there... lets hope its sorted out soon.

ozzie

Bench
rumour is that he has been terrorising some night clubs in the Cronulla area!!