What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the crusher tackle hysteria about to ruin the end of the season?

St Tangles

Bench
The only conspiracy from last night is the one that commentators plant in people's minds.
If it wasn't for Gould and co harping on about it we wouldn't be discussing this today.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
The only conspiracy from last night is the one that commentators plant in people's minds.
If it wasn't for Gould and co harping on about it we wouldn't be discussing this today.

Where is the conspiracy talk champ? We're talking about the inability of refs to control the ruck properly.

It's nothing to do with what Gould said, people can make up their own minds what am illegal tackle looks like.

Parra

Referee

A ref holding up the play to give Manly a breather on their line is worth talking about. When was the last time you saw a ref do a "review" in that situation?

Paullyboy

Coach
This. Tonight was a farce but there are genuine crusher tackles that need to be out of the game

I only watch a couple of games a week at most nowadays, so I can't comment on all games, but every game I've watched for the last month or so has had at least one ridiculous crusher call when the attacker simply found themselves in the wrong position and somehow got rewarded with a penalty.

The game that is being played at the moment is barely rugby league anymore.

Galeforce

Bench
When Souths are penalised for "this type of tackle" , it is a COACHED tactic and Souths are ON NOTICE and all the types /articles start.

When another team like Parra is penalised , IT IS HYSTERIA.

Get a grip . As a Souths fan , if the NRL want to penalise / suspend players for what appears accidental force to head in a contact sport , NO PROBLEMS . DO it consistent and treat ALL players from all clubs the same. FANS and MEDIA should react accordingly.

On my own part i see no different from the tackles yesterday vs the Souths penalised/suspended tackles in the last couple of weeks. The problem for Souths , is apparently we have bigger / stronger /fitter players and it looks worse. AND we have WON comprehensively. Go figure.

butchmcdick

Immortal
When Souths are penalised for "this type of tackle" , it is a COACHED tactic and Souths are ON NOTICE and all the types /articles start.

When another team like Parra is penalised , IT IS HYSTERIA.

Get a grip . As a Souths fan , if the NRL want to penalise / suspend players for what appears accidental force to head in a contact sport , NO PROBLEMS . DO it consistent and treat ALL players from all clubs the same. FANS and MEDIA should react accordingly.

On my own part i see no different from the tackles yesterday vs the Souths penalised/suspended tackles in the last couple of weeks. The problem for Souths , is apparently we have bigger / stronger /fitter players and it looks worse. AND we have WON comprehensively. Go figure.

No no this post is hysteria or should I say HYSTERIA

Mr Spock!

Referee
I vote yes.

It has just given players even more reason to dive. And what's worse, the video refs are falling for it.

Daly Ploddy-Flopper's effort tonight was atrocious.

But... as bad as the overzealous crackdown is, the coaches should take equal blame for coaching players to dive. Is Trent Robinson the only coach in the NRL that instructs his players to get up and not milk the penalty?

It'll be tragic if/when one of these 'crusher' tackles ends the Cowboys season in the finals (I'm just assuming they'll be on the end of it).

Get up you merkins! You're worse than Italian footballers!

This x 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

More danger in a scrum. Better ban that and have a ball up.

Over the last few weeks I don't think I've seen so many players come out of tackles clutching the back of their necks in the hopes of a penalty... Between that, players diving when an arm go's anywhere near their shoulders and the shit quality of officialdom, the game is a joke to watch at points.

Well they can't lay down pretending to be concussed because they have to spend time of the field, so unless they want a breather the sore neck is the new "go to" injury.

Cammo

Bench
After the McKinnon incident you can hardly blame the refs for being cautious when a player holds their neck

Galeforce

Bench
After the McKinnon incident you can hardly blame the refs for being cautious when a player holds their neck

Everyone feels McKinnon.

However it happens and will continue to happen in any contact sport . You cannot make rules to stop accidents like this.

I recall a young Penrith prop , Farrugia ( i think) who also unfortunately got a spinal injury as a result of a scrum back in the 70's? I do not recall any rule changes and there have not been many similar incidents in top grade since .

The problem for NRL is that "legal" action possibilities nowadays could be for huge $$ if the NRL was SEEN not to take some type of corrective action.

The rule changes will not stop accidents , they just minimise legal $$$ when some sort of accident occurs.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
The "crusher" tackle on DCE was an absolute joke. He tried to duck into the ground to make up for the fact he ran sideways on his own try line like a genius, and gets a penalty for it.

He deserved to get creamed and put himself in harms way by dogging it and trying to surrender in the tackle. If he'd stayed on his feet and took his medicine like a man instead of trying to cower in a ball like a bitch he wouldn't have got hurt

There was no penalty given. Good rant though.

For the record, I hate the laying down to try and milk a penalty. Don't care which team it is. I cringed watching that last night.

Last edited:

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Manly players are coached to stay down and milk penalties. They're always lying on the ground grabbing their heads and necks at any sign of contact

I know you are clearly deficient a few necessary brain cells so I won't be too harsh.

But are you taking the piss? Every club in the NRL has players that stay down at the first hint of contact with the head or neck. Every club.

Do you wear floaties in the shallow end of the gene pool?

Danish

Referee
There was no penalty given. Good rant though.

For the record, I hate the laying down to try and milk a penalty. Don't care which team it is. I cringed watching that last night.

You picked the wrong team to support if you don't like players lying down.

Remember earlier in the year when half your side ran over to DCE and told him to hit the deck to get a penalty? Embarrassing stuff

God-King Dean

Immortal
Phil Gould's hysteria is the only thing that will ruin the finals.

I like him most of the time, but fair dinkum, the guy goes out of his way to get outraged by shit.

The mute button has never looked so good.

Kiwi

First Grade
no the refs will not stand for the crusher stealing their glory. They will step up to an all new level of ineptitude to make sure they decide games.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Players play for penalties. Every team plays roughly the same, enterprising play and risk has been replaced by completions and territory and because of that the easiest way to safely gain territory is to get a penalty.

It's not just "staying down" that's an issue, it's the way players at times almost refuse to continue playing unless they get the result they want. Soward with an assist from Idris got his team a one man advantage and a penalty on Monday by doing this, and Hayne did it again last night. Every team does it, so I'm not singling out just those players/teams but those were the two most recent examples that came to mind.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Every team does not do it.

The Roosters, under instruction from Trent Robinson, do not dive. That's not me being biased. That's a fact.

Watch our games and see how many times we get clobbered around the head only to get up and play the ball.

I just wish every team would do this. The game would be better for it.

Latest posts