What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's the offseason - one for the old farts.

Quigs

Immortal
Just found this posted up on that FaceyBook thingy. Sharks v Ponsonby NZ on the 30th Sept 1973. I can't even remember them playing a game post 73 GF. It is the full game by the way.

Question from the floor without notice. Was this both Tommy Bishop and Big Cliffs last game for the Sharks?

I've not watched the full game yet but it is good to see some of those old faces going around in the black white and blue. Brings back a lot of fond memories.

The Sharks were missing Steve Rogers, Greg Pierce, Ken Maddison all on duty with the 73 Kangaroo Tour.

NZRL.Ponsonby vs Cronulla.(AUS).(Carlaw.Park)
Date: 30th September 1973.
Venue: Carlaw Park,NZ.

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
Memories hmmmm. How many of the 73 squad are no longer with us.

Pierce, Sludge, Bowen, Wellman, Bourke.

Good stuff Mr Quigs,

Warren Fisher fullback from GF also not there,Rick bourke at fullback. Fisher broken rib early in grandfinal and had a "quiet game"

Quigs

Immortal
Tommy left after the 73 GF ... the league introduced some stupid new rule about signing on fees and because Tommy was a capt coach he was meant to take a pay cut which he refused. Senator Ron whatshisface snavelled him up for Qld Norths along with a bloke called Satts. Tommy left us at the end of the season.

Big Cliff had trouble too. So he went down to Wollongong to finish his career.

Our stupid club didn't even know what a brown paper bag was for back then.

coolumsharkie

Referee
74? If it was 73' geez my memory is pretty good I turned 6 that year. I remember him playing at Endeavour.

Quigs

Immortal
Thomas of Pollanski can verify fo' sure.

I know there was a comment in the Sharks Black White and Blue History Of book about the club not being smart enough to find an extra 500 bucks on the dancefloor.

coolumsharkie

Referee
..... just a-nuvva drug f**ked musoe ....

This joints full of them. I suppose youse was one of those 'we won the comp in our 49th year' mob.

Haha far coff ya old koont, my memory is GOOD I said !! . In Wiky P it says 74. I strangely think it was later than that, as I have a memory of shouting "Good onya Tommy" When he grubber kicked for touch right where I was standing and he waved back in appreciation. Something a young fella never forgets.

Quigs

Immortal
Haha far coff ya old koont, my memory is GOOD I said !! . In Wiky P it says 74. I strangely think it was later than that, as I have a memory of shouting "Good onya Tommy" When he grubber kicked for touch right where I was standing and he waved back in appreciation. Something a young fella never forgets.

I WAS RIGHT AND YOUSE WAS WRONG HIPPIE. !!! (What the ferk does Wiky P know about the legendary Sir Thomas of the Bishop.)

Got this from that great rugby league encyclopedic website Rugby League Project (top blokes involved too)
this is Sir Thomas's page

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/tommy-bishop/summary.html

1973 was his last Sharks season as a player and the same with big Cliffs - SO IN THE HARD QUIZ ... THE OLD KOONT QUIGS WAS CORRECT - Your hallucenogenic drug f**ked memory is out of wack by a couple of years but don't dispare. Most of the cockheads in here don't know the difference between 49 and 50.

BIO....
Terrier-sized St Helens and Great Britain halfback transformed the fledgling Cronulla club into a premiership force in the early 1970s. Bishop had toured Australia with the Lions in 1966 and again in the 1968 World Cup before being signed by the Sharks in 1969. After captaining Great Britain against France in 1969-70, he took on the captain-coach role with the Sharks for the 1970 season. Under his leadership, Cronulla produced an open style of attacking football and when countryman Cliff Watson joined him in 1971, the club enjoyed its best season on record. Bishop snapped his Achilles tendon in 1972 and returned home to England to recover and missed the entire season. The following year proved to be a watershed in the club's history; Cronulla finished second to Manly in the minor premiership and qualified for its first grand final appearance. Many were critical of Bishop's tactics in the match, with the Sharks' uncharacteristic strong-arm tactics failing to unsettle the more-experienced Sea Eagles. Bishop's efforts never wavered though, setting up a try for Rick Bourke to keep his young team in the match until the final whistle. At the conclusion of the season, Bishop and Watson failed to come to terms with the financially rattled club and Bishop went to captain-coach Northern Suburbs in the Brisbane competition. However his short-lived time as coach of Norths in 1979 was a disaster, as was his return to Cronulla in 1980. Bishop briefly returned to England after this career setback and coached Workington in 1982-83.

Quigs

Immortal
Shouting "Good Onya Tommy" for f**ks sake. Youse were probably up there with the Pinball Wizard at the time.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Shouting "Good Onya Tommy" for f**ks sake. Youse were probably up there with the Pinball Wizard at the time.

WTF does that mean?

I WAS RIGHT AND YOUSE WAS WRONG HIPPIE. !!! (What the ferk does Wiky P know about the legendary Sir Thomas of the Bishop.)

Got this from that great rugby league encyclopedic website Rugby League Project (top blokes involved too)
this is Sir Thomas's page

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/tommy-bishop/summary.html

1973 was his last Sharks season as a player and the same with big Cliffs - SO IN THE HARD QUIZ ... THE OLD KOONT QUIGS WAS CORRECT - Your hallucenogenic drug f**ked memory is out of wack by a couple of years but don't dispare. Most of the cockheads in here don't know the difference between 49 and 50.

BIO....
Terrier-sized St Helens and Great Britain halfback transformed the fledgling Cronulla club into a premiership force in the early 1970s. Bishop had toured Australia with the Lions in 1966 and again in the 1968 World Cup before being signed by the Sharks in 1969. After captaining Great Britain against France in 1969-70, he took on the captain-coach role with the Sharks for the 1970 season. Under his leadership, Cronulla produced an open style of attacking football and when countryman Cliff Watson joined him in 1971, the club enjoyed its best season on record. Bishop snapped his Achilles tendon in 1972 and returned home to England to recover and missed the entire season. The following year proved to be a watershed in the club's history; Cronulla finished second to Manly in the minor premiership and qualified for its first grand final appearance. Many were critical of Bishop's tactics in the match, with the Sharks' uncharacteristic strong-arm tactics failing to unsettle the more-experienced Sea Eagles. Bishop's efforts never wavered though, setting up a try for Rick Bourke to keep his young team in the match until the final whistle. At the conclusion of the season, Bishop and Watson failed to come to terms with the financially rattled club and Bishop went to captain-coach Northern Suburbs in the Brisbane competition. However his short-lived time as coach of Norths in 1979 was a disaster, as was his return to Cronulla in 1980. Bishop briefly returned to England after this career setback and coached Workington in 1982-83.

In bold.:p

Thomas of Pollanski can verify fo' sure.

I know there was a comment in the Sharks Black White and Blue History Of book about the club not being smart enough to find an extra 500 bucks on the dancefloor.

Yep that's right, I was shattered, even more so when I watched us playing Easts in early 74, with Vince Farrar, our star replacement for big Cliffy. It was an entirely different team. And thanks for posting the NZ game Quigs, totally unaware of that one.

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
I was totally unaware of it to Tom. What do you reckon, that would have to be the legends last game in the black white and blue

Agree Quigs, it would have had to have been their last game, I remember reading about their departures in the papers soon after the end of the season.

Quigs

Immortal
Agree Quigs, it would have had to have been their last game, I remember reading about their departures in the papers soon after the end of the season.
Yeppers me too. Totally shattered that they were going. Couldn't believe it to tell you the truth.

Little did we realise that that was probably the first of many subsequent cronullafication syndromes we were to have inflicted on our long suffering carcasses.

fizman

Bench
Anybody that doesn't remember the match against Ponsonby in 73 is not a real Sharks supporter.

Anybody that doesn't remember the match against Ponsonby in 73 is not a real Sharks supporter.

I dunno Fizman, I was totally unaware of it, at the time I was getting over the grand final loss, and then the news about Tommy and Cliff leaving, and then came the news about Ian Gillan and Roger Glover leaving Deep Purple.........sad times.