What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan giving young talent a go

Vic Mackey

Referee
In the CEO/Coach Q&A Cleary spoke about Marsters and said he will be giving some of our young talent a go this year to see if they've got it. He didn't star but I think Marsters showed enough today to show isn't out of place in first grade. He offers something a little different in that he can play at and through the line, did well to go from dummyhalf, draw the markers and send MCK through for a try. Hopefully we'll see much more of him.

Was great to see Cleary giving him a go over Edwards who offers nothing.

The issue though was that after Marsters who else is there? Suli is already a proven first grader, Liddell has mistakes but a lot of positives and Felisse has shown that he can handle the engine room. After that there isn't anyone really screaming first grader. Tatola could be one and I think we'll probably see him at some stage. Possibly Eisenhuth but he's already 25. Bayley Sironens never looked likely to me, neither has Ryland Jacobs or Watson Heleta.

A couple of the NYC backs look ok but hardly near 1st grade standard. Connelly Lemeulu can play anywhere in the backline, is a good size and also goal kicker. Toa Mata'afa seems to be rated by the coaching staff but I've never seen much in him.

I'm all for giving some kids a go, particularly when the seasons over, but who else is there?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
You've hit the nail on the head Vic. It's the leanest time in the clubs existence, depth wise.

Trying to rebuild that depth takes an immense amount of work.

Tiger05

First Grade
We are buying plenty of players and I bet some juniors will come through over the next couple of years. I had never heard of Suli and he signed a massive contract and has killed it in first grade this year.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Marsters played well today. Sironen is a no hoper - he'd be laying bricks right now if it wasn't for his last name. Why did Obed Kharwin move to Redcliffe, he looked good.

Shredder

Juniors
Exactly - BrotherJim - professionalism - its something we have lacked since before the merger - both sides!

Radical Rat

Juniors
Developing junior talent has gotten us nowhere. IC is stocking the team with professionals which will totally change the culture here. If some young talent comes through then at least they will come into a professional team, not a team with their mates from school

Couldn't agree more. Stuff putting all our eggs in the "developing junior talent" basket. The NRL has ensured that is a fruitless task.

I'm now more than comfortable going into the player market every couple of years and just buying who Cleary thinks we need.

We'll inevitably get the odd gun junior come through anyway. We've proved trying to build a whole roster that way isn't the way to go.

axl rose

Bench
Developing junior talent has gotten us nowhere.

Reminds me of something Gould said went he went to coach Easts. Packer asked him how do I win the comp. Gould said through develop of juniors / club culture etc. Packers response "f**k that takes to long, lets buy one"..

Im proud that we are a development club, but you are correct for the most part it gets us nowhere. Canberra have learnt that lesson the hard way as well. The NRL could fix this but they are completely incompetent.

Last edited:

Shredder

Juniors
I think the right answer is to have a balance.

At one end you have us - we are a junior nursery and all we really do is groom players for other clubs. At the other end is the Roosters and Manly who have to buy the vast majority of their players.

Having the balance allows us to manage the cap better as, three dickheads excluded, juniors generally want to stay at their junior club for less money, which should allow us more for the occasional marquee signing.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Reminds me of something Gould said went he went to coach Easts. Packer asked him do I win the comp. Gould said through develop of juniors / club culture etc. Packers response "f**k that takes to long, lets buy one"..

Im proud that we are a development club, but you are correct for the most part it gets us nowhere. Canberra have learnt that lesson the hard way as well. The NRL could fix this but they are completely incompetent.
Unfortunately for us the short sighted moronic NRL hierarchy refuse to show any initiative & grant salary cap concessions for local juniors who r in ur top 25.

Shredder

Juniors
I thought there were concessions for juniors or players who stay with a club for a certain length of time?

Tiger Ted

Bench
I think the right answer is to have a balance.

At one end you have us - we are a junior nursery and all we really do is groom players for other clubs. At the other end is the Roosters and Manly who have to buy the vast majority of their players.

Having the balance allows us to manage the cap better as, three dickheads excluded, juniors generally want to stay at their junior club for less money, which should allow us more for the occasional marquee signing.
As part of risk management re safeguarding our assets e.g juniors with potential we need to have a strategy in place that ensures they don't align with the treacherous grub Isaac the swindler moses !

Shredder

Juniors
Agree - just not sure how we do it.

Market forces. Eventually other clubs will stop dealing with him and he will be out of business.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I remember when IC signed with us & in one of his interviews I think it was 2sm he said how in selecting a player manager for his son there weren't many he'd recommend.From what I've heard from people @ the coalface of the game who've liaised with player managers the one common view is that the pissant Isaac is a major league shitbag.

Clifferd

Coach
How many juniors will we most likely have in our starting team next year?

Nofoluama
Brooks
Lawrence
Liddle
Marsters

Gee that's a big change from

Nofoluama
Simona
Brooks
Moses
Tedesco
Woods
Lovett
Lawrence
Liddle
Felise

axl rose

Bench
I remember when IC signed with us & in one of his interviews I think it was 2sm he said how in selecting a player manager for his son there weren't many he'd recommend.

Yes, he said there was only 2 he even seriously considered for his son. Ivan is no fool.

Reading Benjis book a few years ago he talked about when he was first searching for a manager. 20 of them wanted him and only 1 bothered with his request for writing a 1 page letter on why they should be his manager. If they are not going to take a half hour to write a few paragraphs perhaps you shouldn't be trusting them with your career and up to 10% of your contract.

Latest posts