What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack de Belin

Bin Chicken

Juniors
Pr
At what point does the NRL have to step in if a club has all this free cap and no players?
If we are just going to fill our cap/squad with young up and comers why aren't some of them already playing in firsts? It's May, yes, but doesn't hasn't stopped other clubs.
A good, old fashioned schmazle.
Pretty sure the Knights got fined a few years ago for not spending a certain amount of their cap because no one would go there.
winning is going to take some time

since77

Juniors
Well well well,
The bomber and his future is an apt discussion. This player has invested his life to this club; and his heart and every ounce of effort on the field, in a way very few could match.

He should (whether the reputed control freak coach comes to the fore is now unfortunately very unlikely) be offered an enticing contract for 3 years, and injury free, would eclipse hornbys record for most number of games in the famous red V.

Ps be on the watch for a Weidler article in this Sundays Sunherald. Makes for riveting reading.
A lot of hyperbole there for what I'd call a very handy NRL player who had a significant off field issue that many like me won't forget. Certainly doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as true club legends like Hornby.
He has indeed been solid this year and particularly useful off the bench. Still find it very difficult to watch the guy in the Red V.
But spare me with the "heart and every ounce of effort in a way very very few could match". That describes players of recent memory like Ben Creagh, Dean Young, Matt Cooper, Ben Hornby, Jason Nightingale. JDB will never measure up to any of those.
Personally I'd be very happy if the club were to sever ties with him, letting go of another player who represents the dark days and sh*thouse culture that slowly dragged our club to the cellar from 2012 - 2023.

enoughs enough.

Juniors
A lot of hyperbole there for what I'd call a very handy NRL player who had a significant off field issue that many like me won't forget. Certainly doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as true club legends like Hornby.
He has indeed been solid this year and particularly useful off the bench. Still find it very difficult to watch the guy in the Red V.
But spare me with the "heart and every ounce of effort in a way very very few could match". That describes players of recent memory like Ben Creagh, Dean Young, Matt Cooper, Ben Hornby, Jason Nightingale. JDB will never measure up to any of those.
Personally I'd be very happy if the club were to sever ties with him, letting go of another player who represents the dark days and sh*thouse culture that slowly dragged our club to the cellar from 2012 - 2023.
No exaggeration there at all fella.

Just educ macate yourself, and read the article I've referenced. You exonerate 77 vintage thinking in my view.

And you have no idea what you're talking about. From 6 degrees of separation I do speak with authenticity, but I'll leave at that.

It's people like you, whilst reading this forum for years Ive always wanted to contribute but held off.. Why the the rabid response? Have a little decency and entertain all sorts of views. You'd make a wonderful modern day pollie.

That's it for me.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Thanks Jack, we appreciate all you’ve done on the field. Based on how we paid you throughout your stand down period due to your strange gang bang ideas when married, then hiding under the bed at bbq gate…$400k is good for you, at your age you are not worth $750k anymore. You owe the club more than we owe you I would think

St Tangles

Bench
No exaggeration there at all fella.

Just educ macate yourself, and read the article I've referenced. You exonerate 77 vintage thinking in my view.

And you have no idea what you're talking about. From 6 degrees of separation I do speak with authenticity, but I'll leave at that.

It's people like you, whilst reading this forum for years Ive always wanted to contribute but held off.. Why the the rabid response? Have a little decency and entertain all sorts of views. You'd make a wonderful modern day pollie.

That's it for me.
What's the gist of the article

shiloh dc

Juniors
If there is any merit in the notion that the club won't make JDB an reasonable offer for fear that he may become our most capped player - then that would be an incredible sad reflection on the club.
JDB is not the first nor the last player to have been involved in an alleged misdemeanor. You hear similar stories from the past - some even involving some of our greats. What we know for certain is that JDB went to trial/s and was untimately found NOT guilty. People just need to accept this and move on.
Right now he is (along with Lomax & Sua) one of our best 3 players -personally i think the best. Yes, he is getting old but remember he missed two years of footy so his body must be younger than his age. His form is exceptional and he is often being asked to play out of position. Ignore that he comes off the bench. When he starts, our bench is ineffective so Flanno has correctly determined that stiffening up the forwards at around the 15 - 20 min mark is super important. That's the role JDB represents plus he also has to cover for Lawrie who is out of form.
We really need to keep him. Surely a TPD to add to the 400K can be arranged.
If we don't resign him - there is no other player to offset the 10yr+ salary cap discount. That would be like throwing away a gift.

FlickFlano

Juniors
No .. there is no merit in that at all.

As for the 10yr+ salary discount you are wrong. The rules are junior and 8 years at the club OR 10 years as a top 30 player across the game ...
By those rules Ben Hunt is eligible, Lawrie could be depending on his 2017 status, Faitala Mariner could be depending on his 2015 status at the Warriors.

It is also not per player ... it is 300k additional to the entire cap if you have one eligible player.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Mate are u able to send the link? You are using?

this one appears current

The $300k allowance

“developed by the club prior to becoming NRL players and/or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game.”

Hmmmm

yes there could be a few players entitled in 2025 hence maybe why we did a big salary for JDB in recent couple years and hence why we drop it back with JDB in 2025 as other players sharing the $300k

jDB debuted in 2011

Hunt taking all of the $300k in 2025 probably makes sense ie if he is really on between $750k to $900k pa for 2024 and 2025

taking off $300k is quite palatable

What other serious half could u get at $450k to $600k pa?

everyone else will be negotiated standard salary cap

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
Mate are u able to send the link? You are using?

this one appears current

The $300k allowance

“developed by the club prior to becoming NRL players and/or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game.”

Hmmmm

yes there could be a few players entitled in 2025 hence maybe why we did a big salary for JDB in recent couple years and hence why we drop it back with JDB in 2025 as other players sharing the $300k

jDB debuted in 2011

Hunt taking all of the $300k in 2025 probably makes sense ie if he is really on between $750k to $900k pa for 2024 and 2025

taking off $300k is quite palatable

What other serious half could u get at $450k to $600k pa?

everyone else will be negotiated standard salary cap
Are you calling Ben Hunt a serious half Auntie ?

Draginzaaar

Bench
If there is any merit in the notion that the club won't make JDB an reasonable offer for fear that he may become our most capped player - then that would be an incredible sad reflection on the club.
JDB is not the first nor the last player to have been involved in an alleged misdemeanor. You hear similar stories from the past - some even involving some of our greats. What we know for certain is that JDB went to trial/s and was untimately found NOT guilty. People just need to accept this and move on.
Right now he is (along with Lomax & Sua) one of our best 3 players -personally i think the best. Yes, he is getting old but remember he missed two years of footy so his body must be younger than his age. His form is exceptional and he is often being asked to play out of position. Ignore that he comes off the bench. When he starts, our bench is ineffective so Flanno has correctly determined that stiffening up the forwards at around the 15 - 20 min mark is super important. That's the role JDB represents plus he also has to cover for Lawrie who is out of form.
We really need to keep him. Surely a TPD to add to the 400K can be arranged.
If we don't resign him - there is no other player to offset the 10yr+ salary cap discount. That would be like throwing away a gift.
He was NOT found not guilty.

It’s not about JDB

News Corp would prefer our club disappear

Hence apparently rugby league only commenced during super league area

Burgess plays 4 games for us and 149 for Souths but no mention of this

The media bias and hate is unbelievable

Slackboy72

Coach
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/de-belin-family-s-fury-after-perjury-charge-20240507-p5fppl.html

De Belin family’s fury after perjury charge​

ByDanny Weidler

May 12, 2024 — 5.45am
Jack de Belin’s parents and sister have lashed out at the police who investigated the Dragons star’s case.
While they can’t get back the three years they say were “taken” from them and de Belin while the case was investigated and before the courts, they are pleased action is now being taken against one of the investigating officers, Shawn Adams, who has been charged with perjury for evidence he gave during de Belin’s sexual assault trial in Wollongong District Court in February 2020.
The parents of Callan Sinclair, de Belin’s co-accused, have also expressed their outrage at the conduct of the investigation after Adams was charged with giving false evidence under oath. The charge was a result of an investigation that started in 2021. Adams is no longer in the police force.
The Director of Public Prosecutions opted in 2021 not to pursue a third trial for de Belin and Sinclair after two previous attempts to convict them resulted in a hung jury. The decision allowed Dragons forward de Belin to return to the game after being suspended for two years under the NRL’s no-fault stand-down rule.

Adams is scheduled to appear before Wollongong Local Court on June 19. Investigations into the conduct of officers involved in the court case continue.

Latest posts